Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Re: A bit disappointed in the workers at this year Halloween Party.

Very good post G24T. I will be going on the 26th and from all the stories..I don't believe it will be the Halloween treat I remember from the past years.

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    Mind you, I'm not yelling at all and the next thing that came out of his interrupting mouth was "I can get you kicked out of here if you don't listen to what I'm telling you". I'm not going to divulge the compensation I got at City Hall for complaining about this but it was generous.. and for a premium pass holder that kind of justice doesn't come around every day.
    For a CM to say that is completely unacceptable. I'm glad you went to City Hall and got compensated, Passholder or not.

I think that one of two things should happen next year. Move the event over to DCA where the walkways are bigger and could co-exist better with treat trails OR keep it at DL and find ways to snake them through more interior buildings while removing the trails that they have now in the walkways. The Halloween parties are a proven success and it's time for the folks at TDA to start figuring out how they can improve the guest's overall experience rather than just making sure that there's a wealth of places where you can get candy in the park.
    I also feel that it should be moved back over to DCA. I went all the years it was in DCA and one year it was in Disneyland and always preferred DCA better. However, I don't know how the changes to DCA's layout will affect it but I don't think it would much.

All these posts about CM's being douches really just saddens me to the core. It didn't used to be like this. I went to the very first event in DCA back in 2004 and had such a good time. I've been to every one of them since except last year in Disneyland and fear what I will be seeing when I go on the 26th.

Back in 2004 we paid $23 for tickets...this year, we paid $69 (a difference of $46 over 8 years, give or take) yet stories like G24T's keep popping up.

So sad.

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    Very good post G24T.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    I also feel that it should be moved back over to DCA. I went all the years it was in DCA and one year it was in Disneyland and always preferred DCA better. However, I don't know how the changes to DCA's layout will affect it but I don't think it would much.
    I think that DCA 2.0 is a drastically different park than it was when it last hosted the party. The paths are designed much more effectively to handle overflow which would make things very comfortable for attendees who want to bypass the treat trails. Lastly I think it would be really cool to be able to see a Halloween exclusive WOC and be able to go trick or treating in Cars Land.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Insomniac

We've been to all of the Halloween Party events to date and only this year we found the event to be the following:

- Holy Understaffed Halloween Batman!: I don't necessarily mean just comparing the guest to CM ratio either. What really was unfortunate was the fact that the vast majority of candy dispensers and crowd controllers were seemingly all temporary/holiday employees. I have an eye for spotting the year pins on badges and I saw not one. Furthermore these cast members, when asked, had no knowledge of where the closest bathrooms were nor could they tell you the time of the fireworks show. That wouldn't bug me too much had they not been put in charge of the queues for these treat stations. Case in point, my family and a slew of other people began unknowingly walking into the long exit queue for the Golden Horseshoe station when we all found ourselves stuck by queue ropes. I asked the cast member if he or I could break the queue rope so that we could get out and instead of customer service the guy, no older than 20 years old, starts giving us the what for and demands we all turn around and move out of (get this) "his line". Feeling offended by that treatment I began to grill him (as politely as I could) about why there wasn't a sign or CM there to indicate that pretty much the whole porch area of the GH was an exit and that people wouldn't get confused if things were done that way. Mind you, I'm not yelling at all and the next thing that came out of his interrupting mouth was "I can get you kicked out of here if you don't listen to what I'm telling you". I'm not going to divulge the compensation I got at City Hall for complaining about this but it was generous.. and for a premium pass holder that kind of justice doesn't come around every day.

- Skip the Parade.. See the Fireworks Instead!: You'd swear the fireworks this year were as important as the opening weekend of WOC. In the past I'd be able to watch the parade from the hub and when it was over I'd turn around and find a spot somewhere near the front of the castle (even front row) with ease. This year I noticed several layers of people already camping out in front of the castle an hour and a half before the fireworks show. I was glad to have camped out as soon as I noticed the campground otherwise I probably would have been somewhere by Coke Corner come the end of the parade. Also, the 10:30 parade was easy enough to watch since many guests skipped town after the fireworks were done.

- "Queue-betcha!": Maybe it was just the night we went but the stand-by queue time estimates were grossly incorrect. At 11pm the line for Ghost Galaxy was advertised as 15 minutes on the board but it ended up really being 45 minutes. Another example was at the Haunted Mansion where there was no wait time posted so one was just left to guesstimate the time based on the assumption that the full queue was being used and wherever the end of the line happened to be.

- Who arre these people?: A few posts ago someone mentioned that a majority of guests who attended the party did not come in costume. While I don't judge someone because they may or may not decide to theme themselves to this theme encouraging event I do think it's strange if you don't bother to bring a Halloween attitude to a Halloween party. I heard the phrase "Trick or Treat" less than 10 times at all night and also saw many people completely un-tooled for the massive amounts of candy they were going to receive. I noticed a lot of teenagers this year too for some reason and they were certainly dressed to party but not in a Halloween way. Unless they were all going as Kelly Bundy but they probably don't know who that is.

I think that one of two things should happen next year. Move the event over to DCA where the walkways are bigger and could co-exist better with treat trails OR keep it at DL and find ways to snake them through more interior buildings while removing the trails that they have now in the walkways. The Halloween parties are a proven success and it's time for the folks at TDA to start figuring out how they can improve the guest's overall experience rather than just making sure that there's a wealth of places where you can get candy in the park.
    I had a similar experience to yours. We asked CM's multiple times on our trip when toon town closed and none (not a single one) knew what time it closed. We had to go find a lead in toon town before we found out. The CM's seemed more irritable as well. I blame Disney for cutting one of the few remaining CM benefits (the Christmas party), but it was pretty obvious to me that Disney has done a pretty poor job of training the current employees.

I live in Utah, I always work on Halloween, and I can't eat candy. That is why I do not dress up. I packed my 5 days worth of cloths into a backpack, not much room for a costume.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    I had a similar experience to yours. We asked CM's multiple times on our trip when toon town closed and none (not a single one) knew what time it closed. We had to go find a lead in toon town before we found out.
    It seems like one hand doesn't know what the other is doing lately. When I got there early in the day for one of the parties I asked the gal at the turnstile where I will be checking in for the party later now that they ruined the Plaza Gardens. She told me I had to exit the park and come back in. I knew that couldn't be right so went in to City Hall. They told me that they weren't sure but they think it is in Frontierland. Of course they couldn't tell me where in Frontierland.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   

Guests got more self-entitled, and CM's got more snippy. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? I've been listening to both sides of the story on this board for the last few months and found both sides rather enlightening. In the end, I'll side with everyone who's pointed out that training ( and benefits ) aren't what they used to be, and now it shows.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    In the years I have been on Micechat I don't think I have seen a better post... I am always looking for ways to improve myself to make the world a better place. As Michael Jackson famously said, "If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make that change." Your post beautifully details the problems with ignoring said behavior, and I will try to fix the problem if I see it. Wow I really want to say thank you for this post. I had never thought of it that way.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    It seems like one hand doesn't know what the other is doing lately. When I got there early in the day for one of the parties I asked the gal at the turnstile where I will be checking in for the party later now that they ruined the Plaza Gardens. She told me I had to exit the park and come back in. I knew that couldn't be right so went in to City Hall. They told me that they weren't sure but they think it is in Frontierland. Of course they couldn't tell me where in Frontierland.
    This is becoming a problem company wide on both costs. Events, Dining, Marketing, and Operations all do their own thing and don't talk to each other. I just got back from Food and Wine in Florida and it was a mess in this regard. I'm sure there were many upset people who paid a lot of money for something and missed part of it because times were changed, yet that information wasn't made available everywhere and very few people had real answers.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by lionheartkc View Post
    This is becoming a problem company wide on both costs. Events, Dining, Marketing, and Operations all do their own thing and don't talk to each other. I just got back from Food and Wine in Florida and it was a mess in this regard. I'm sure there were many upset people who paid a lot of money for something and missed part of it because times were changed, yet that information wasn't made available everywhere and very few people had real answers.
    The official website is a reflection of this lately too. ...and don't get me started on calling a CM on the info line. As an experiemnt, call and ask them a slightly unusual question. You will get a variety of answers. The number of different answers comes close or is equal to the number of times one calls that info line. This is unacceptable!
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

•   
    • Minion

So we went to the party on October 12th and I must have missed all the rude CMs. I had nothing but a great time and can't wait to go back for my 6th year in a row next year. I am not sure what people are looking for at these parties but each and every year including this one I have had so much fun with my friends dressing up watching the fireworks taking in attractions getting candy( and carrots!!) I always go looking for a good time though so I guess that is what I find.

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    I always go looking for a good time though so I guess that is what I find.
    Bingo.... Good for you.

• Mmmm...

We went on Friday, October 12th with our two-year old and I had attended the previous year. I was shocked at how crowded it felt. I remember walking on rides last year, but it felt stuffed to the max on Friday night. We walked over to Haunted Mansion around 8, and the line was at least an hour. We were able to walk on Winnie the Pooh a few times (my two-year old kept screaming "ONE MORE!" at the end, so of course I'll oblidge), and during our third ride, the line went from being empty to being completely full. It was strange. I'm not upset or angry about the crowds, as I just realize my expectations were not in the correct place, I suppose.

I didn't care much about the candy, so I can't speak for that. But I kept thinking that I should have just paid for a full day of Disneyland earlier in the week rather than thinking I'd have a less crowded experience at the party. The price wouldn't have been that much different.

On a posititve note, I had pot roast for the first time at the Plaza Inn and it was delicious! I licked the plate clean. My two-year old stayed awake until midnight, and was alert enough to get a kick out of our final ride on Jungle Cruise. I had to miss Space Mountain on account of being pregnant, so maybe that's why I also felt a bit let down.
    Team Captain
    No Time for Snack Bar
    Go ahead, wait in line for that Pineapple Whip. I won't stop you.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by monster heck View Post
    I'm probably going to come off as a grump here, but Halloween candy is/should be for the children! Anything extras we get as adults/parents should be considered a bonus.
    It isn't like there's a shortage of Halloween candy. It's not only for children nor should it be. Anything extra should be considered a bonus?!? Are you out of your mind?

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by grrandram View Post
    It isn't like there's a shortage of Halloween candy. It's not only for children nor should it be. Anything extra should be considered a bonus?!? Are you out of your mind?

There definitely isn't a shortage my group of 4 ended up with over flowing bags of candy from the Halloween party on Friday night. What I am going to do with mine is hand it out to the neighborhood kids like I do every year. There are no rules here as to who Halloween candy is for LOL It's all assumptions holidays in general are for everyone to enjoy not just kids just like Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    There definitely isn't a shortage my group of 4 ended up with over flowing bags of candy from the Halloween party on Friday night. What I am going to do with mine is hand it out to the neighborhood kids like I do every year. There are no rules here as to who Halloween candy is for LOL It's all assumptions holidays in general are for everyone to enjoy not just kids just like Disneyland.

NO!!!! It must ONLY go to Halloween Event Ticket Holders! You will be followed for the duration of the candy's existence to see whose mouths the candy does end up in!!

I, of course, am joking around.

I know that my co-workers will have candy galore at the coffee pot area on the 29th..that is for dang sure!

We went last year for the first time. We dressed up..adults and kids (7 Dwarfs one family group..asst stuff other family group). The party was sold out and hordes of party goers were entering the park as the regular parade was ending..total gridlock.could...not..move. We ended up getting stuck back by the ranch area and it was super dark. Others parts of the park were less so, but still, it seemed pretty dark and the crowds were much more than I expecected for an extra ticket event. My fault on that one. Lines were super long for characters..we never made it to a ride (we had slow... literally unmoving... people in our group)..finally made it to wait for fireworks and it was more crowded than I remember from many a regular night. Never saw a parade. Fireworks were super good and we got tons of candy (continuous dumping from little bag to backpack). Overall CMS were fine if a little robotic. We left decided to not return. After thinking about it, I decided we would have had a much better time with a 'fleeter' group, and would not mind trying again, if for nothing else than seeing those fabulous fireworks again. We got plenty of candy BTW and lots of healthy stuff also.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast