Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Rain Effecting RSR?

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Cloth roof? That really would take the fun out of the ride, imo.
    Not if they had wrap-around 3D screens inside the car showing what the scenery outside would look like as you race past.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Does BTMRR operate while it's raining?
    this.

its no different than a six flags rollercoaster because of the rain. probably closed for safety reasons

• Nic

Big Thunder Mountain Rail Road, along with Matterhorn, don't operate when it's raining, or at least they haven't the times I've gone.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Can Only Wish For More!

For ALL roller coasters, if there is a chance of lightning, then the rides shut down. Rain does not truly affect a roller coaster, gravity does.

Big Thunder has run in the rain, I remember laughing throughout the entire ride while getting wet!
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

• Certified in everything

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    The only reason the rain affects RSR is because of the eye decals, and the sting the rain drops cause as they're hitting your face on the outside portion.
    This can't be correct. I'm guessing like all other outdoor rides at the park the concern revolves around brake friction issues that may arise with the brake system.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by WannaCub View Post
    For ALL roller coasters, if there is a chance of lightning, then the rides shut down. Rain does not truly affect a roller coaster, gravity does.

Big Thunder has run in the rain, I remember laughing throughout the entire ride while getting wet!
    This is a correct post in this thread. For proof, check vids online.

BTMRR and Matty will close when the rain becomes too much (both have segments of track that have ponding of water in a major down pour- not good). Usually the rain isn't that much per hour. Cali rain is more of a drizzle as compared to most places on earth. When those clouds open up and it is pouring down outside, they will shut BTMRR and Matty down until they can displace the ponding water. If there is enough time left in the operating day after the big rains have let up, they will re-open.

W/ RSR and TT (in Florida), it isn't about the rain per se. It is about cloud-to-ground-lightning. If the NWS (National Weather Services) detects and/or has predicted lightning, RSR will shut down and stay shut down until the threat has passed. It has nothing to do w/ pelts of rain drops, nothing to do w/ breaks being too wet on RSR, nothing to do w/ ponding on RSR roads, nothing to do w/ sensors. In fact RSR has the best drainage system of any landscaped attraction.

There is at least one lightning rod embedded within the RSR mountain range for "insurance". But this is not enough when ppl are on the ride. So what can be done? Remove the riders and shut it down. My research shows that there is a holding system that can be used temporarily for different issues, one of them is lightning.

When it rained last Summer 2012, it was the lightning associated w/ the storm that kept the ride closed (a storm generated by the southwest monsoon season). However, I believe that the initial reason was a power-outage (mentioned above by another MCer). If all the reports were correct, there wasn't enough time to cycle all the guests who were in mid-ride off the ride, and it just shut down so ppl had to be walked off. For anyone who went thru this, please tell your stories!!!

Many winter storms in California will have almost no threat of cloud-to-ground-lightning. It will be very interesting to see (as also mentioned in a diff post above) to see how DLR deals w/ winter storms this year - will they keep RSR running when it is a light drizzle w/ a 0 - <5% chance of cloud-to-ground-lightning???

PS: I am hoping to be able to take my first DLR Rain Day trip this winter! I did a ton of research on it and I am passing some of this info on to you guys!
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post

BTMRR and Matty will close when the rain becomes too much (both have segments of track that have ponding of water in a major down pour- not good). Usually the rain isn't that much per hour. Cali rain is more of a drizzle as compared to most places on earth. When those clouds open up and it is pouring down outside, they will shut BTMRR and Matty down until they can displace the ponding water. If there is enough time left in the operating day after the big rains have let up, they will re-open.

W/ RSR and TT (in Florida), it isn't about the rain per se. It is about cloud-to-ground-lightning. If the NWS (National Weather Services) detects and/or has predicted lightning, RSR will shut down and stay shut down until the threat has passed. It has nothing to do w/ pelts of rain drops, nothing to do w/ breaks being too wet on RSR, nothing to do w/ ponding on RSR roads, nothing to do w/ sensors. In fact RSR has the best drainage system of any landscaped attraction.

There is at least one lightning rod embedded within the RSR mountain range for "insurance". But this is not enough when ppl are on the ride. So what can be done? Remove the riders and shut it down. My research shows that there is a holding system that can be used temporarily for different issues, one of them is lightning.

When it rained last Summer 2012, it was the lightning associated w/ the storm that kept the ride closed (a storm generated by the southwest monsoon season). However, I believe that the initial reason was a power-outage (mentioned above by another MCer). If all the reports were correct, there wasn't enough time to cycle all the guests who were in mid-ride off the ride, and it just shut down so ppl had to be walked off. For anyone who went thru this, please tell your stories!!!

Many winter storms in California will have almost no threat of cloud-to-ground-lightning. It will be very interesting to see (as also mentioned in a diff post above) to see how DLR deals w/ winter storms this year - will they keep RSR running when it is a light drizzle w/ a 0 - <5% chance of cloud-to-ground-lightning???

PS: I am hoping to be able to take my first DLR Rain Day trip this winter! I did a ton of research on it and I am passing some of this info on to you guys!
    Great post and the truth. I have been on every ride in the rain but rsr , luigi's is awesome since it blows the rain back up at you!
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by Trav1Disney View Post
    Great post and the truth. I have been on every ride in the rain but rsr , luigi's is awesome since it blows the rain back up at you!
    OMG! I can't wait for this! I am gunna try to make this happen, I hope mother nature and I get in sync!
    ~Jay

(Disneyland, circa 1957)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post

If you are referring to the July day when it rained, I was there. And no, there was no lightning surprisingly, although it looked like there was going to be lightning.

Disney in the rain is great! Especially if it's a light drizzle like we get in So Cal. The crowds are low, and people with small children tend to stay home. Plus you can check out the lovely generic Disney umbrellas they wheel out to the front of the stores when it's raining. Like Dory from Nemo says "Just keep selling, just keep selling" or something like that.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Plus you can check out the lovely generic Disney umbrellas they wheel out to the front of the stores when it's raining.
    They sell these umbrellas, they don't let you rent them for the day. I have about 4 right now, 2 blue, 2 black
    Last edited by clara; 10-12-2012 at 03:11 PM.

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Not if they had wrap-around 3D screens inside the car showing what the scenery outside would look like as you race past.
    We might as well make the whole attraction a motion simulator while we're at it!
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    If you are referring to the July day when it rained, I was there. And no, there was no lightning surprisingly, although it looked like there was going to be lightning.
    Weather.com reports that there were lightning strikes in the "vicinity". I don't know what their radius is for this term, but it is safe to assume it is close enough to Anaheim since it is common for lightning to strike 10 miles or so in front of a cluster of thunder producing clouds. And even if it didn't, the threat level was high that day. That type of storm is associated w/ lightning and thunder, and I think it is really cool that you were there to witness it this past July!!! I'm kinda jealous. (I am an obvious DLR nerd and I am an "armchair" meteorologist, so this would have been so great for me to see!!!)

---------- Post added 10-13-2012 at 04:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Disney in the rain is great! Especially if it's a light drizzle like we get in So Cal. The crowds are low, and people with small children tend to stay home. Plus you can check out the lovely generic Disney umbrellas they wheel out to the front of the stores when it's raining. Like Dory from Nemo says "Just keep selling, just keep selling" or something like that.
    Ugh. I can't wait! I even put up a thread about it about two months ago.
    Even if RSR gets shut down, I will still be quite happy to be there and shell out some cash for an umbrella and def a poncho!
    ~Jay

(Disneyland, circa 1957)

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    They sell these umbrellas, they don't let you rent them for the day. I have about 4 right now, 2 blue, 2 black
    They still have the black ones? I keep my black one with Mickey on it from my trip to WDW in my trunk. I still use it on the occasional rainy day in California. The blue is a little too colorful for me and it costs a lot more.

• Dead men tell no tales.

Yeah, rain can really scare some crowds away. When I was in DL last spring, it had rained fairly heavily the night before, in fact the rain only stopped around 5 in the AM. Yet, when I got to the park at around 8:30, there was hardly anyone there! I live in Vancouver Canada, one of the wettest climates there is, so I wasn't the least intimidated by the puddles on the ground but it was enough to keep crowds small for a good portion of the morning. For example, Space Mtn had about a 10 minute wait for the first hour or two the park was open!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast