Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• Who's your DaddyB?

Re: Bad News for Bengal BBQ

I too find this RUMOR extremely hard to believe. If the RiverBelle Terrace is going to expand UP, why do they need to get rid of the Bengal BBQ? It's location isn't near the RBT seating area and the proposed exapnsion is to add a second story veranda above the seating area, not the restaurant itself. And if they were to decide to expand RBT's width, it seems they'd expand toward the river rathar than into the bottleneck of Advntureland.

This doesn't make any sense at all.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Didn't they recently do give the B BBQ some TLC when they refurbed other parts of Adventureland?

Regardless, I hope this isn't true. It was one of my favorite places to eat at Disneyland.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

They also sell banana milk! I think they're the only place that sells it

The lines are usually too long to eat there but the one time I had it, it was tasty!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

This is truly depressing, if confirmed to be true.

Bengal BBQ was the one place we would ALWAYS go. Where else can you get asparagus skewers??? That place should be expanded, and the River Belle Terrace should be reduced; the one and only time we went there the food was cold, untasty and expensive.

I'd take Bengal BBQ over RBT any day.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• Minion

I just wanted to point something out I don’t think anyone has thought of. Location location location. Please look at this photo.

If you notice, the B-BBQ (in yellow) is not very close to the River Bell (in blue). I don’t think they plan on making the biggest restaurant in the park With this, I don’t think we need to worry much. If I am wrong and I highlighted the wrong area, can someone correct me? I think that is about it.

The only concern was mentioned in the original post. The cooking/food prep area. They may be shared with both places.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

The thing is... even when I worked at the BBQ they were always talking about demolishing Bengal and making one big RiverBelle. This rumor isn't anything new, I've always thought they'd never do it... but heck, who knows at this point. RiverBelle DOES need help though and Bengal would be a small casualty when it comes to Food Ops.

Doesn't mean that it still doesn't suck though.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• Traveler to the south

Quote Originally Posted by jmuboy
    Well, as always......start emailing and writing DL if you really want to save Bengal BBQ.

So maybe they could reopen the food service at Aladdin's Oasis. Move the Bengal BBQ menu, add in the old Big Thunder BBQ menu and have one great restaurant.

Adventureland really can't afford to go without a single eatery. The Tiki Juice Bar does not count for food. DL closes too many food dacilities. How are they supposed to feed the ever increasing masses?
    YOU HAVE THE PERFECT SOLUTION!!! YAY, YOU!!!
    "Remember: when life gives you lemons, just be glad you're not a zebra."
    - Skipper Mike

why on earth would they go through all that trouble to add just a couple more tables? i really doubt this will really go through, it isn't logical to do that, plus there is enough seating there. o well

• Disneyland Freak

Quote Originally Posted by gibbage

If you notice, the B-BBQ (in yellow) is not very close to the River Bell (in blue). I don’t think they plan on making the biggest restaurant in the park With this, I don’t think we need to worry much. If I am wrong and I highlighted the wrong area, can someone correct me? I think that is about it.

The only concern was mentioned in the original post. The cooking/food prep area. They may be shared with both places.
    Yes you did circle the wrong area in yellow. If you look at the map near the Yellow square you'll see a tan colored circle... that's an umbrella that's in front of the restaurant. You'll notice the round buliding behind the umbrella... the barbecue is supposed to be under a round thatched area. And actually I believe River Belle is not quite the L-shape you circled, the white roofed building is also part of the restaurant as well. With those corrections, the two are rather close to eachother.

If you look at these two pictures, especially the second, you'll see the restaurants practically touch. It's amazing how good themeing could seperate the restaurants visually when they are literally next to each other (Like the Tiki Room bathrooms and the Plaza Pavillion which share a roof)

http://www.disneypix.com/Disneyland/...-011702-12.htm
    http://www.disneypix.com/Disneyland/...-011702-16.htm
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's Return
    well when Disney makes a desicion they usually keep it.
    LMAO!!! Yes, if there's one thing Disney is known for, it's reliability and consistency. They like, NEVER change their minds. hehe
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Sock Puppet

NOOOOOO! I loved walking by and smelling the wonderful food! I can't believe this.

• Minion

I am becoming more bummed as I was re-reading this thread.
    Someone along the way said it was of poor quality. I think it is delicious, and a great alternative. We eat it curbside, waiting for fireworks, we get just about everything, and share it all. They could move it Oasis easily.
    Very unique part of Adventurland.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    <--- me to whoever made this decision.

I love Bengal BBQ!!! The food is absolutely delicious...

...couldn't they friggen re-do Aladdin's Oasis and update it to something similar to Tahitian Terrace?
    I agree!

• ...TWO BITS!

Hmm.. from http://mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=dl060117xx , it seems not only will Bengal BBQ begone, but Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost may get the axe, or at least partially. HOW BIG IS THIS RIVER BELLE EXPANSION?!?!? Here's the article:

River Belle expansion

In July 2003 (link) we first reported the rumor that River Belle Terrace in Disneyland might be getting complete makeover (warning, going to that old old Park Update will cause flashbacks of the X-Games at DCA). Then last August (link) we put out the word that the project appeared to be approved for late 2006.

The complete reconstruction of River Belle Terrace into a larger two-story restaurant with improved views for Rivers of American and Fantasmic is still on course to begin after the 2006 summer season, as early as September but possibly as late as the end of October. Recent word indicates that this project will be the death of Bengal BBQ as the reconstruction will eat up that space to give more room to the redesigned restaurant. It may also cut into the space occupied, or completely close, the Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost store.

It turns out that River Belle Terrace is a place with quite and appetite for barbeque. Back in 1961, the restaurant was known as Aunt Jemima Pancake House when a project began to expand it to the current size. As part of that expansion, it consumed the space occupied since 1957 by Don DeFore's Silver Banjo Barbecue. So this will be the second time River Belle Terrace has eaten up a neighboring BBQ stand. For more information on the under-remembered Silver Banjo, see Werner Weiss's page at Yesterland.com (link).

Being only 15 years old, Bengal BBQ probably isn't deserving of protection as a historic landmark at Disneyland (perhaps as a sign of its relative value, neither Bengal BBQ nor the previous occupant, "Sunkist, I Presume," are listed in Dave Smith's nearly encyclopedic Disney A-Z), but the menu of meat skewers has a strong following, and not only because the food is good but because Bengal BBQ offers one of the few truly unique choices in the park. Hopefully a place can be found elsewhere in the park for them.

From the point of view of Adventureland, this will be a bit of a hit as the already small area is further marginalized with the Tiki Juice Bar and a fruit stand becoming the only food options in the land. No doubt, this will increase calls for management to revive Aladdin's Oasis into the restaurant it once was. On the plus side, it isn't hard to imagine that removal of the Bengal BBQ queues and diners will help greatly with foot traffic through Adventureland. Currently, the Adventureland/Frontierland/New Orleans Square intersection can become uncomfortably congested, even on moderately attended days.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Nela25

I love the hot & spicy beef skewer so much that a few years ago I asked for the recipe. Disneyland was kind enough to email it to me. So for all of you that love Bengal BBQ, now you can enjoy it at home.

Here it is:

BENGAL BARBECUE
    KOREAN SAUCE - BEEF

Soy Sauce 1 cup
    Canola Oil 1/2 cup
    Ground Black Pepper 1 tbsp
    Sesame Seed Oil 3 tbsp
    Ground Red Pepper 1 tsp
    Cayenne Pepper 1/2 tsp
    Granulated Garlic 1 tbsp
    Beef Boullion 1 cup

Pour soy sauce into mixing bowl and add seasoning. Mix on medium speed for five minutes. Reduce speed and add sesame seed oil, canola oil and water. Mix for five more minutes on medium speed. Refrigerate.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast