Thread: Baseball in BVS

• Insomniac

Baseball in BVS

So I was reading Samland's latest article about Disney's America and I came across something interesting.

"Baseball? “Amid a backdrop of rolling cornfields, fans may have a hot dog and take a seat in an authentic, old-fashioned ball park and watch America’s legendary greats gather for an exhibition all-star competition.” It was not made clear whether these players would be real or audio-animatronics."

Disney's America (a park that heavily influenced many aspects of DCA) was supposed to have a baseball field/ attraction? Interesting. I wish they had expounded on the idea more and explained what the attraction would be, but I still find the idea fascinating. This line of thought led me back to the idea I had while watching Red Car News Boys. In the show they talk about baseball extensively (even bringing out baseball bats as props), why is there no baseball represented in the park? It makes sense to have a baseball field somewhere in the park. Whether this means an actual baseball field where teams play or a animatronics show about baseball, I have no idea, but it deserves a baseball field. Where to put it? In place of a bug's land, in the backlot area, somewhere else? Idk just thought a baseball field would fit somewhere in DCA.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Nic

Re: Baseball in BVS

I don't see Disney adding something like this in the future; but I do think a baseball musical could be added into the Hyperion Theatre with the right design. A (less raunchy) song like this would be awesome.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Banned User

Baseball is represented in a shop window (cant recall the shop name, on the left headed into park) Little fact, the baseball cards, featured players are actually PIXAR artists.

• HYDRA

I think it's in the Five&Dime display
    Take a look at the theme park models I make at kolbykonnection.com

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Baseball and California actually go very well together.

Unfortunately to this day there still exists an "east coast bias" in the media, where it seems that the only thing in baseball worth mentioning is if it involves the Yankees or the Red Sox. But if you look closer, California actually has had a significant contribution to baseball: Jackie Robinson grew up in Pasadena. The guy who wrote "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" lived in Orange County and is buried in Anaheim. Professional baseball in southern California goes back over a century -- the Los Angeles Angels began as a Pacific Coast League team in 1901. Even today, there is a California team in the playoffs, comparisons to Mickey Mantle has been made with players like Mike Trout.

So this is why I cringe during the Newsboys show where he screams, "I wish California had a team of their own!" Baseball was a huge deal back in those days. Only it wasn't between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox. It was more between the Los Angeles Angels and the Hollywood Stars or San Francisco Seals.

• Musical Fireman

That would be cool, maybe have a sax quintet dressed in Buena Vista Stars uniforms. I love those uniforms on display for some reason I want to buy the display props more than the real merchandise. Maybe have a streetmosphere baseball player who acts like Casey from "Casey at the Bat". Though he could also work on Main Street who I think in the light of BVS needs streetmosphere characters.

See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Baseball and California actually go very well together.

Unfortunately to this day there still exists an "east coast bias" in the media, where it seems that the only thing in baseball worth mentioning is if it involves the Yankees or the Red Sox. But if you look closer, California actually has had a significant contribution to baseball: Jackie Robinson grew up in Pasadena. The guy who wrote "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" lived in Orange County and is buried in Anaheim. Professional baseball in southern California goes back over a century -- the Los Angeles Angels began as a Pacific Coast League team in 1901. Even today, there is a California team in the playoffs, comparisons to Mickey Mantle has been made with players like Mike Trout.

So this is why I cringe during the Newsboys show where he screams, "I wish California had a team of their own!" Baseball was a huge deal back in those days. Only it wasn't between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox. It was more between the Los Angeles Angels and the Hollywood Stars or San Francisco Seals.
    Add to that the fact that the Cubs used to do spring training in Avalon. I believe their field is the current site of the golf course(I may be wrong).

The point is an exhibit on the history of CA baseball would be a great addition to a park based on CA.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."