Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Re: We Get Another Year of Aladdin

I think it's great that a full scale musical designed for a theme park is playing at DCA. However, the one (and only) time I saw "Aladdin" back in 2007 I was underwhelmed. The cast seemed bored and it was if they were just going through their paces in stage direction and choreography from Point "A" to Point "B." Even "Friend Like Me," which should have been stellar, was weak.

Still, the Hyperion is a very nice theater and I hope that in the future a much more interesting and entertaining new show takes the place of "Aladdin." I don't recommend it to people when I go to DCA and am asked about it.

Yup. They updated yesterday. Looks like we will see it now!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Here is the thing...they just added a New land (Carsland) and a replacement land and a New E ticket....I am also sure they will be getting the Electrical Parade Back and a new show in Fantasyland this next summer

What is the motivation to replace Aladdin, when it still fills seats, is a good show, and they have two shows coming next year to the parks?
    Plus WOC will be getting updated.....I think that's enough for me next summer entertainment wise, I could go for a new ride but I don't need another new show in 2013

• Circle of Ancients

I've seen it twice. That was two times too many.

They should bring Blast back until they figure out what else they can put there. Hasn't it been like 8 years or something already?

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by wettham1783 View Post
    Anyone else remember the uproar when they talked of replacing it with a Toy Story show?
    Yeah. There was (is?) a Toy Story show on Disney's cruises that some felt was inferior to DCA's "Aladdin" show, and some feared that that would move in.

So how about Lion King, Jungle Book, or Peter Pan for three years; then Mary Poppins?
    (Or Mary Poppins in 2020.) Forty-minute versions. The Lion King came out so long ago that it might be allowed to compete with road companies by also running (abridged) in DCA.

And how about "The Book of Mormon" unabridged at 9pm on weekends and throughout the summer? Kidding! I wish. Sort of.
    Nah, bad fit.

Ya think?
    Who still writes, "Ya think?"
    Those who still write, "Let me get this straight," "This ^," "Really? Really? Really?," and "Wow. Just wow."

• Minion

I've said it before and I'll say it again: no abridged versions of existing musicals. It's not like Disney is incapable of piecing together new works or even deriving new works from existing movies. Screen to stage. Not screen to stage to stage.

• former CM

Then "John Carter: the Musical!"

•   
    • Seasick

Wonderful show, but really overdue for a replacement. Shows don't have the same repeatability as attractions do.

Having said that, be thankful Aladdin stayed around rather than be replaced by the dreadful Toy Story Musical.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Doombuggy Rider

I'm guessing Team Disney Anaheim has the opinion that "If it isn't broken, then why fix it?" - & judging by the continuous long queue lines through Hollywood Backlot to see ALADDIN, it's not going to be replaced until the lines start to diminish (I wouldn't mind seeing a new show rotated every 3 years, or a different show on different days throughout the week) ...

How Eisner to avoid fixing the flying carpet (Eisner = anything that is left broken and or run down without bother to repair it- "the Aladdin section of Adventureland is so Eisner that it is an empty show building" (rolls eyes) ...

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

Watched it a couple weeks ago after having not seen it in about a year.

-Genie worst of any I've seen
    -Jasmine best of any I've seen
    -Absence of carpet left a HUGE HOLE in show - if anyone new in the audience did not realize, they are idiots
    -Comedic and other stage timing of this show is HORRIBLE and always has been. Gimmicks like the fake genie rising out of the lamp and the dual-Aladdin guys are so corny it's pathetic.

Oh, and the climb to the mezzanine screamed Six Flags.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

I don't mind if they keep it forever - I just saw it for the 55th time and never grow tired of it. Why is it any different than keeping the Matterhorn or Pirates and riding them year after year. When I love something I never grow tired of it!

• film975

The Aladdin show is one of the best Disney has ever done. It's going to be very hard to top. That could be why they're taking there time with developing a new show. If that's what they are doing. As far as I know, the show has been extended indefinitely after the fiasco of the Toy Story Musical announcement. You can't blame them for taking their time bringing back the magic carpet either. When it broke last year, that was very serious. They just want to make sure something like that never happens again.

• Minion

Just so people know it takes YEARS to develop a musical, even one that already has music such as Aladdin. There are a lot of elements put into making a show from scratch, from writing music, to casting, to starting workshops, etc. Perhaps Disney has been in the works for show already.
    Jeff Wayne

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123