View Poll Results: Did the Preview/Displays convince you to watch Frankenweenie

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • No..... -__-

9 18.75%
  • YES! Those displays are so amazing and the preview. wow!

39 81.25%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: DCA Frankenweenie Preview Fail

First of all the movie is incredible! Second if this movie was in color it would have been a crime as it is in the feel and style of a classic horror movie it is the black and white that makes it work and my kids who are 8 and 5 loved it and never once asked why its not in color. If you really need color to watch a movie that is by far the saddest thing I have heard. The fact that this movie was in the top 5 is a great success as Burton movies do not appeal to the average movie goer.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

I saw the 3D preview at DCA and loved it! I thought it was going to be an instant classic so I went and watched it in theaters. I also saw it in theaters in 3D and it was a good movie. Its not the best movie I have ever seen, but its the classic Tim Burton style that I love. Overall, it was a good film. I felt like the characters could have been expanded upon a little more and maybe had a longer story.
    Jack Sparrow - "You have been monstrously deceived." Pirate - We are decepted then..." Jack Sparrow - "Yes"

• Avid MC reader since 2005

My family watched the 4D trailer at Disneyland. We appreciated that they were showing something new in the Muppet Vision building and it was a fun preview to sit through (and a good thing to do during the hot afternoon). I really liked the old fashioned b&w monster movie feel to the film, the twist making it into a kids movie about a boy and his dog, and the artistry was well done. However, we will probably not go to see this movie in theaters because while parts of it were fun and entertaining others were just gross (the girl and the cat poop, the dog falling to pieces etc.) and not really appealing to our family. We might check it out on dvd but not shell out the money to watch it in the theater.

• Banned User

Great film. Black and White, perfect. It's NOT a children's film, but it can be enjoyed by children. Its a limited audience film. It's a total tribute to the genre and its origin. We saw Vincent Price, again. We saw Boris Karloff, we had fun.

I don't agree with the idea that people will avoid it because its black and white.

I'm sure Disney agreed to the film long before Alice in Wonderland was filmed.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    ^And i think thats why most people wont want to see it. Most people cant get past the fact that the movie is black and white and looks "old" even though it may be a good movie. Honestly i think it was a bad move to make it monochrome knowing our society dislikes black and white.
    hmm the Artist did pretty well.
    Jeff Wayne

• No Disassemble!

I took my wife & kids to see the 4D preview before seeing Frankenweenie and by stroke of misfortune was denied access to the Art of Frankenweenie exhibit because of the celeb event happening that weekend. The next weekend we went we saw the movie at the AMC DTD first and then went to DCA right after to see the exhibit. In my opinion I thought it was better to see the exhibit at DCA after we saw the movie because it was like a "how they made the things you just watched" kind of exhibit but seeing it beforehand doesn't really hurt box office numbers overall either. To the average consumer who may not be a big Tim Burton fan they may find the exhibit too confusing to comprehend at the time when they have not watched the movie yet. Sure, there is text all over the displays that help explain things more but who really wants to read a bunch of stuff when they're at an amusement park right?

As for the movie, I don't think any of the die-hard fans of Burton and his films really expected it to do too well in it's opening box office and I don't think you could blame it on any touring exhibits or 4D previews, I'd chalk this up to releasing the movie against two Sony films and an angry (again) Liam Neesom. Rotten Tomatoes currently has the movie at 86% amongst the same film critics that chastised Alice & Wonderland so I have high expectations that Frankenweenie will do much better in the long run, including sales of blu-ray & dvds.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Goofy

the preview center was okay.

the movie. it was not that great. it bored me all the way. i was left dissapointed. i guess the storyline was not that entertaining and pretty much weak
    im a fan of burton movies but this one is a miss for me.
    Last edited by Rex Dopey24; 10-14-2012 at 12:00 AM.

• Insomniac

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post
    Regarding the black and white, in 2012, a tough sell for kids who have been raised on eye-popping color from Pixar, Dreamworks Animation, and others. Which makes Disney's decision to bankroll this movie a curious one.
    They have been raised on it, therefore they hate something completely different? It's true but I just don't understand it. Black and white is a lost art. Without color you are forced to rely on composition of every shot to keep the viewers attention. Color has actually degraded the quality of movies to some degree IMO.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Cunning infiltrator

Frankenweenie has become another underrated cult-classic like what John Carter (my favorite movie) has become.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

• film975

Quote Originally Posted by LangenFox View Post
    Frankenweenie has become another underrated cult-classic like what John Carter (my favorite movie) has become.
    John Carter is actually a pretty good movie. It just got a lot of bad press and reviews. The decision to make movies in black and white these days is more of an artistic one. I'm not a big of Tim Burton fan nor do I have any desire to see Frankenweenie. And it wasn't because of the DCA preview. I think the exhibit is a good idea because it shows people how stop motion animated films are made.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    The fact that this movie was in the top 5 is a great success as Burton movies do not appeal to the average movie goer.
    Agreed. Using words like "flop" and "Box Office Fail" don't apply here. It is a success. There are degrees of success. Just b/c something isn't in the #1 position doesn't mean it is a failure; it just isn't #1.

We saw the preview. I was surprized that it was in B&W (we didn't know anything about this film really). The fact it was in B&W is unusual and this made us want to see it. It sticks out to us as something different. In a world full of burger clones, we seek out the unusual.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    Agreed. Using words like "flop" and "Box Office Fail" don't apply here. It is a success. There are degrees of success. Just b/c something isn't in the #1 position doesn't mean it is a failure; it just isn't #1.
    Try and explain that to the Disney sharp-pencil boys...

• The doctor is in

I thought Frankenweenie appealed most to the older Burton fans, like myself. I have been disappointed with his films for over a decade. I liked Big Fish, Corpse Bride, and Sweeney Todd but I absolutely hated Planet of the Apes, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Alice in Wonderland. Dark Shadows and Sleepy Hollow weren't terrible but they weren't nearly what they could have been.

I thought Frankenweenie gave a more classic feel and paid homage to films such as Edward Scissorhands and Beetlejuice which are both classic, popular Burton films. I wonder if maybe it was the recent disappointment with his films that kept non-hardcore Burton fans away from the film. I don't think it was the black & white and I don't think it was the subject matter. I think people figured it wouldn't be that good since Dark Shadows did so poorly. Either that or because it was lacking Johnny Depp.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• I'm a Lutheran

People're going to kill me for saying this, but Johnny Depp and oddly enough, Helena Bonham Carter could have been in it somehow...the voice casting was perfect as is, but it would've been cool if they were given some kind of role. Come to think of it, there are a lot of things that I would have done differently. The original short has a much better "rampage" through the neighborhood (when Sparky escapes) with many a memorable line, almost all coming from Rose, a.k.a. Bob's Mom. "IT WAS SIX-FOOT TALL LIKE A WOLF AND IT TRIED TO EAT MY RAYMOND!" Albeit, this is a stop motion film and due to the amount of time and money it takes to put it together, they had to cut some kind of time from it. Oh well.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

I'm sorry, I really don't think this thread topic was well thought through.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast