View Poll Results: Did the Preview/Displays convince you to watch Frankenweenie

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • No..... -__-

9 18.75%
  • YES! Those displays are so amazing and the preview. wow!

39 81.25%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: DCA Frankenweenie Preview Fail

I saw Frankenweenie last night and it was fantastic! The fact people won't see it because it's in black and white is pretty ignorant in my opinion. The film is a throw-back to the classic monsters and science-fiction B movies. It works very well in black and white and fits the film's look. This will probably be another cult-classic like Nightmare Before Christmas. That film didn't do so well in the box office and look at the following it's getting now.

This is a great movie. My family loved it; black and white, old fashioned, cat poop and all. We'll buy it when it gets released to Blu-Ray.

• former CM

The Metacritic score, along with my love for monster movies, stop-animation, and Tim Burton would all have inspired me to see this. But the DCA preview that my daughter and I loved made it a bigger priority. I love many film genres and will see the best reviewed films of almost any genre. As a parent I'm busy, but I can make time to see the best kids movies with my daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post
    This is a great movie. My family loved it; black and white, old fashioned, cat poop and all. We'll buy it when it gets released to Blu-Ray.
    As Frankenstein's monster might say (via Karloff, Whale & the forgotten screenwriter), "Post GOOD!"

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsofColor View Post
    I saw Frankenweenie last night and it was fantastic! . . . The film is a throw-back to the classic monsters and science-fiction B movies. It works very well in black and white . . .
    My daughter, 7, & I saw it yesterday. We also liked it, & I wouldn't mind seeing again.
    CONGRATULATIONS to Tim Burton for earning a 74 on Metacritic.com:
    Frankenweenie Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More - Metacritic

When films were shot in black & white

When films were shot in black & white
    In seats the crowds would stay.
    With colors gone they could delight
    In many shades of grey

Reflections, shadows, light and dark
    Made classic joys and tears,
    But best of all these artists caught
    Our
    nightmares and our fears.

--Tom Sinsky

BTW (off track), we saw it at Universal City Walk's AMC multi-plex after a nice meal. Seeing a movie is an excellent break from a theme park day if you have an AP, and we'll be doing that more often.

Last edited by jcruise86; 10-14-2012 at 06:57 PM.

I'd like to see the full length movie. The short showed you he animated the dog, but didn't you already know that? Didn't give anything away.

Black and white definitely gives it the feel of a classic horror movie, and I *love* that.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    The DCA preview must have discouraged people to watch this movie.
    Isn't the whole point of the preview center and display to make people want to watch the movie?
    I had to go with YES given the two choices.
    I don't think the preview truely "convinced" me, by it did help persuade me. I'm not sure I'll see the movie, I'm not into the subject matter. Eventually I'll see it, just not likely in 3D.

• Knight that says Nee!!

The movie's opening weekend is a NATIONAL statistic and the OP thinks somehow the preview/displays in DCA had anything at all to do with its low opening numbers? That's about as jaw droppingly amazing as missing out on a movie based only on if it is in Color or B&W.

• The doctor is in

I would suggest not seeing it in 3D for any who haven't and still might. I saw the 4D preview at DCA but decided to go 2D at the movie theater. I enjoyed it a lot more than the 4D preview. Easier on the eyes.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

I had no intention of seeing it (in theaters) until I saw the DCA preview and display. So the promotion worked on me. It was wonderful.

Note: The reason I didn't want to watch this movie is cus it's in black and white. Plus I already seen the short original (the reason why he got fired) You would think Disney would learn the first time.
    We seen the preview and sets at DCA... after the preview, my 6 year old son said he wanted to see the movie... but he said he didn't like that there "was no color".

We saw the movie this past weekend. It was not good. I've never been a Tim Burton fan... but I thought I'd give this movie a chance... a waste of time and money.

His movies are cold. Theres no connection between the audience and the characters... I understand he has a cult following... but is it that big that Disney would want to back a project like this?

Thank God Disney didn't tap Burton for "OZ"... That'd be really upsetting...

---------- Post added 10-15-2012 at 10:02 AM ----------

I will say, however, that the quality of Frankenweenie was great! Best stop-motion movie I've seen. I was amazed at some of the filming angles achieved at the attention to detail...

But all that to me is moot if I can't get "sucked in" to the story...

I will probably see the 2D version as opposed to 3D. I'm not really into the gimmick of 3D and most of the time it's just a gimmick. It should serve the story, or be background, something that makes the world look more real. It shouldn't scream at me that "This is 3D!!!11!!"

Yeah, I know it's 3D. Can we get on with the story?
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    The movie's opening weekend is a NATIONAL statistic and the OP thinks somehow the preview/displays in DCA had anything at all to do with its low opening numbers? That's about as jaw droppingly amazing as missing out on a movie based only on if it is in Color or B&W.
    This for the win.. what's in the next thread?
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Minion

Wow ok well this was just my personal thought. I was expecting it to go big since all the
    Hype surrounded by it. And I'm sure Disney expected it to be a hit. I was just very surprised. It's not like ANYONE expected it to be this bad at the box office. If they knew it was goin to be this bad, it wouldn't have gotten approved. The studio must be angry Cus they spent 5hrs filming 20 seconds of the movie

pretty sure if the movie was in color the box office would have done better. Idk maybe it's Cus black/white tv was before my time? It just has no appeal to me. Kinda like would world of color be good without the color (think bellagio) Cus led lighting wasn't used when dca first opened. If woc opened in 2001 there would be no colors (led)

and I thought the display center was a global thing. I thought it traveled through the us, not just dca. Ok there has to to be some reason. Since when did a Disney movie come out to #5 on the box office? Plus 3d makes lots more $ and it's in IMAX. And they did lots of advertisements so this isn't adding up.

• Certified in everything

Frankenweenie had the #5 spot Box office for last weeks opening weekend. Wow. The DCA preview must have discouraged people to watch this movie.
    Isn't the whole point of the preview center and display to make people want to watch the movie? well, it did the complete opposite. Same with the Tron preview.

Note: The reason I didn't want to watch this movie is cus it's in black and white. Plus I already seen the short original (the reason why he got fired) You would think Disney would learn the first time.
    A few weeks or running previews to a few hundred-thousand people won't have a hugely noticeable effect on ticket sales... plus, what's the baseline here? We have no way of knowing how much the film would have made without the preview, so your determination of "no success" is blatantly unfair.

And serious... you wont see it because it's black and white?
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• out & about

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    The California Adventure preview would not be scene by many people.
    Haha! "Scene." I love it. Very clever.

• Team Hail HYDRA

What clip from the film did they show
    (I've all ready seen the movie)

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast