Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Minion

Re: Did anyone else know that Coca Cola gives Disneyland its products for free?

As long as their selling coke products I'm fine, love me some coke at the theme park Cute personal story about pepsi, (My grandpa who passed a long time ago taught my family never to drink pepsi, simply it was not allowed, so we respected him and to this day no pepsi is allowed in any of my family's homes). Back on topic nothings free as other posters have said they get their money somewhere they probably pay an yearly fee or something

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Michael808702 View Post
    As long as their selling coke products I'm fine, love me some coke at the theme park Cute personal story about pepsi, (My grandpa who passed a long time ago taught my family never to drink pepsi, simply it was not allowed, so we respected him and to this day no pepsi is allowed in any of my family's homes). Back on topic nothings free as other posters have said they get their money somewhere they probably pay an yearly fee or something
    If you don't want to tell that's fine, but what was the back story to not drinking Pepsi? You have me curious!

I always LoL when people think there's something weird over Coke being exclusive to a company... It's that way in most places (McDonalds, etc), usually the deal is you buy Coke/Pepsi, and they help you with the machines (lease/purchase/service) co2 delivery, and other stuff. Did you know that you can't even CONNECT a Pepsi Syrup box to a Coke Machine... they use a different connector (there are adapters though, but basically the companies make it difficult on purpose, they don't want Pepsi coming out a Coke Fountain!). AM/PM sells both on fountains, and if you notice, they usually have Coke on One side, and Pepsi on the other... =-)

I know a nearby restaurant who just switched from Coke to Pepsi, and he said it came down to Pepsi throwing in a new fountain and cups... He had to sign a 2 year agreement for it.

And that is how it works.

Remember Coke is #1, Diet Coke is #2... Diet Coke outsells REGULAR Pepsi people. Coke has a lot of pull...

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I read an article just the other day that even Knotts is switching over from Pepsi to Coke.

This thread makes me wonder why...

• Blew By You

I would wish that the Cherry Coke syrup would be distributed wider throughout the parks.

This has all reminded me of this old Pepsi commercial at Disneyland

The Pepsi Generation at Disneyland - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I read an article just the other day that even Knotts is switching over from Pepsi to Coke.
    Say it isn't so!
    www.youtube.com/lundopictures

Back in my days working at the park, Coke sponsored the TLT and provided the coke syrup. It was delivered in a big stainless stel tanker like what milk is transported in and was unloaded and pumped to the TLT from a valve behind Innovations by the old ODV office and through the pipes in the ceiling of the tunnel running from there to the basement of the Terrace. As far as the rest of the Coke products go, I am sure Disney paid something for it, but with the volume discount and the sponsorship from Coke paying for the privilege of being the Official Soft Drink of Disney Resorts, I figure the true cost to is not much.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

So far two people posted about Coke giving Disneyland the syrup at no cost. And I think this is probably true. When I worked there I was under the assumption that they got the contour bottles for free but those are a relatively newer product compared to the syrup. The sponsorship Coke and Disney made must have come prior to that.

And back in the day (I don't know if they still do this), but cast members had to count their cups at the end of the day. That's how they kept track of sales for the fountain drinks.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Coke might not be "free" but its cheap enough that you should get at least ONE free refill at any of the restaurants

• -

Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
    if coke "gave away" the product, I'm sure quite a few lawsuits would be filed by the other mfr's (Pepsi, 7UP/Dr.Pepper), due to them giving it away would be unfair competition... considered to be "predatory" to harm the competition.
    Even if this rumor about Coke giving their syrup away for free, I don't see how that would be unfair competition. The other companies could have made a similar deal to give away their products for free and then maybe we would have Pepsi or 7up Corner.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Let's see here, so Coke might provide 3 cents of syrup for each drink served at Disneyland, 40,000 guests a day, each drink on average two drinks, that would be 120,000 cents a day! Which works out to $1,200 dollars a day, or maybe a cool $400,000 a year. (Using your numbers). BTW, if Disney makes $3.00 off of each Coke after you factor in labor and such costs, that would be about $40 million American dollars a year.

Probably wouldn't even cover the cost of having Coke corner named in their honor, to say nothing of guests who want Pepsi and are . . . inconvenienced.

It is more likely that Coke pays for the syrup (trivial?), and also writes Mickey a check each year too . . . or so to speak.
    I would speculate that Coke pays Disney a large sum to be the "Official Disneyland Drink". That sponsorship deal could have been worked out to be less cash if they provided syrup free. Beyond that, Coke probably does charge Disney for the cups. But, even with custom graphics, I don't see them costing more than $.50 each.

So, the overall drink cost (including ice, CM & equipment overhead) is still a very small fraction of what they charge.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Even if this rumor about Coke giving their syrup away for free, I don't see how that would be unfair competition. The other companies could have made a similar deal to give away their products for free and then maybe we would have Pepsi or 7up Corner.
    I guess it depends on the market because I always ask why when say a video game comes out its always 60 bucks...why not be the ones who make it 55 bucks and get EVERYONE to buy it there....and the reason is Best Buy would get in trouble for selling the game at a cheaper price then everyone else...but I guess in Theme Parks the rules are different and you can just get products for free and sell them for what ever profit Disney wants to make

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I guess it depends on the market because I always ask why when say a video game comes out its always 60 bucks...why not be the ones who make it 55 bucks and get EVERYONE to buy it there....and the reason is Best Buy would get in trouble for selling the game at a cheaper price then everyone else...
    Just to let you know, the bolded part of your statement is incorrect. Best Buy (or any other retail chain) cannot be told what to charge. There is what is called the MSRP, Manufactures Suggested Retail Price. This is the price that the creator of a product suggest that the item is sold for. Most retailers follow the pricing but are not bound by law (some may have a signed agreement but that is another issue). If retailers were required to sell an item priced based on the "say so" of a manufacturer, we get close to price fixing.

Go into a Best Buy, Target, Wal*Mart, or any retailer that sells the same item, price compare and see that a retailer does not get in trouble for selling the game at a cheaper price.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

COMPANY NEWS; Coke-Disney Pact

AP
    Published: January 26, 1990

The Coca-Cola Company and the Walt Disney Company signed a 15-year marketing agreement, extending an association that dates to 1942. The deal calls for Coke products to be available exclusively in all Disney theme parks. Coca-Cola will also have exclusive rights to use certain Disney characters in advertising. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

And :

Pepsi Gets 2nd Contract From Disney

Beverages: Rival Coke, which dominates the soft drink market, says the cost of obtaining the deal would not have justified the expense.

April 15, 1998|DARYL STRICKLAND | TIMES STAFF WRITER

Fighting to overcome Coca-Cola Co.'s widening lead, PepsiCo inked its second contract in as many months with Walt Disney Co., agreeing Tuesday to become the exclusive supplier for several new Disney entertainment ventures.
    Pepsi-made beverages will be the sole soft drinks poured at Club Disney children's play sites, DisneyQuest interactive entertainment centers and ESPN Zone restaurants.

The new contract, described only as "a multiyear deal," is not expected to increase the sales of Pepsi, Diet Pepsi and Slice right away. But analysts said the deal's value will be in linking Pepsi products to Disney's marketing muscle, adding a new dimension to the cola maker's efforts to gain ground on Coca-Cola.
    "These are marketing-driven transactions," said John Sicher, editor of Beverage Digest, a trade publication. "It's significant in the sense that these Disney properties are likely to be increasingly valuable as time goes on and it presents a positive marketing experience for Pepsi."
    Indeed, Disney Regional Entertainment plans to expand the three concepts nationally, opening more than 100 locations over the next five years.
    New York-based Pepsi, which spun off its $11-billion restaurant division last year, is bidding for the rights to sell soft drinks in popular sports venues and restaurants.
    Last month, Disney broke a 43-year exclusive partnership with Coke, awarding Pepsi a contract as the sole supplier at Edison International Field of Anaheim, home of the Disney-owned Anaheim Angels.
    Pepsi also has soft-drink contracts with the Los Angeles Kings and Los Angeles Lakers at the Great Western Forum, Universal studios and the California Speedway in Fontana.
    But Coke, the world's largest soft drink maker, still is sole supplier to Disney's parks. It also holds the contract at the Anaheim Mighty Ducks' at the Arrowhead Pond, a Disney-owned franchise.
    Coke widened its domestic lead over Pepsi in the $53-billion soft-drink market by nearly 1% last year, according to a survey by Beverage Digest and Davenport & Co. Overall, the poll placed Coke ahead of Pepsi by 12.1%, the biggest lead registered by the Atlanta-based company in more than 20 years.
    But Coke has backed away from some agreements, including the one that Pepsi announced Tuesday, believing that the costs outweighed the return.
    "In this case, what we [would have] got out of it didn't justify the investment," said Coke spokesman Scott Jacobson.
    Disney also announced that its first DisneyQuest will open in this summer in Orlando and another next year in Chicago.
    Last edited by pinkertonfloyd; 10-15-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: added Pepsi Data...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123