Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Closed Account

What Attracts Women to Disneyland?

Rockets. Bobsledding. Submarines. Rafts. Square-rigged sailing ships. Fire engines. Steam trains. Shooting galleries. Medieval fortifications. Archaeological digs. Sports cars. Gold mining. Star Wars. Mississippi island based on Mark Twain's boys' books. Frontier forts. Pirates. Tree-houses. Canoes. Monorails.

Notice a theme here?

Aside from a few Fantasyland rides, it seems to me that Disneyland overwhelmingly represents a male paradise. And yet, women seem to enjoy the park just as much as men.

Obviously, Walt and his Imagineers were predominantly men, and the very fabric of the park and its attractions suggests that their mindsets, the very way they viewed the world and remembered their childhoods, influenced the park greatly.

Not that any of the above attractions/themes might not resonate with certain women, and conversely might be of no interest to some men. But still, it does seem that much, if not most, of the park and its themes are geared to the male segment of society.

So, what is it about the park that attracts women?

(And I apologize if this sounds sexist--it's not meant to be. It's just something I've noticed over the years, and wondered about).

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    Imagination, creativity, romance, wonder, magic, adventure, joy.........

You don't know women very well- do you
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Shopping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And all of the above!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Zapp's Minion :D

Fantasyland
    It's A Small World
    NOS
    Tiki Room
    Mickey
    Castle
    Shopping
    The Magic
    Last edited by Malibu Minion; 03-16-2005 at 01:57 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries
    And don't forget those sparkly, twinkly lights that make everything look so dreamy at night...

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    Oh yeah- and the GIANT Princess castle in the middle of the park? That also comes to mind.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Que que no-tu-rah.

I think you may be focusing too much on the physical and not enough on the emotional side of things. It's easy to look around Disneyland and see the love, care and attention that went and continues to go into the place. Also, eventhough you may be riding on a train or bobsled or walking trough a fort in the wilderness the experience is never limited to that. Instead it's part of a whole experience. Sure you're on a train, but you are passing by some beautiful scenery, and seeing the park from a different perspectibve. Tom's sawyer island is not all about fishing, fighting and machismo, it's also about exploring, adventure and discovering new things.

It's the multi-layered experience that helps make the park so appealing to a wide variety of people. Not just to men, not just to women, not just to kids, but everyone can find something to enjoy.
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

yeah I'm going to agree with most people who say that your looking into this too much

I'm not a girl but the themes of disneyland are awfully darn universal

I think it becomes limiting if your going to start marketing to some markets and excluding on others, what works in Disneyland is that with the exception of the princess merchendise (clearly for little girls) i would say that Disneyland focases on everybody and tries to be something that EVERYONE can enjoy together, it simply wouldn't work any other way

• Closed Account

Well, I did mention the castle, but I deliberately gave it a masculine spin by calling it a "Medieval fortification."

Maybe that castle sums up the way folks can see the same things differently. It also seems to summarize how Disneyland can appeal to such a broad range of tastes. When I see the castle, I don't see a fairy tale palace; I see ramparts and cross-shaped opening for firing arrows.

The fact that Disney can appeal to so many, on so many different levels is what I find most fascinating.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano
    Rockets. Bobsledding. Submarines. Rafts. Square-rigged sailing ships. Fire engines. Steam trains. Shooting galleries. Medieval fortifications. Archaeological digs. Sports cars. Gold mining. Star Wars. Mississippi island based on Mark Twain's boys' books. Frontier forts. Pirates. Tree-houses. Canoes. Monorails.

So, what is it about the park that attracts women?
    I'm female. This is what attracts me:

Fantasy. Music. Magic. Lights. Parades. Adventures. Star Wars- R2D2. Tom Sawyer + Huck Fin. Pirates. Princes. Wishes. Fireworks. Shopping. Characters. Smiles. Food. Candy. Shopping. Small World. Main Street.

And most importantly - To have fun!

Then again I am not your "typical" female. I'm a complete girly-girl but I'm not a Tom Boy either. I'm more in the middle. My friends that are more girly love the E-ticket attractions, the thrills, the characters, and the atmosphere.

• Reaver of Souls

I can't say for sure what attracts women to the park, but I can say for certain what it aint, and that's my regular attendance!
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Junior Senior

Interesting observation! I'm about the most sexism-sensitive person you'll ever meet (not in the sense that I complain about it, more just that I'm constantly aware of it in the air, so to speak) but I've really never noticed that before. I guess it's because I sort of raised myself on Tom Sawyer, King Arthur, and science fiction novels. And my dad built model trains in the garage and I still remember the day when I was old enough to help. Oddly, also, my friends and I played cowboys and Indians. I don't know where we got the idea, since I don't think either of us had ever seen a Western or anything like that.

So, okay, maybe my girlhood was just a typical 1950's boyhood? Plus I loved the Disney princesses, played with Barbies, etc. I guess I was raised to play both sides.

Still, I'm glad you brought that to my attention. Very intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano
    Well, I did mention the castle, but I deliberately gave it a masculine spin by calling it a "Medieval fortification."

Maybe that castle sums up the way folks can see the same things differently. It also seems to summarize how Disneyland can appeal to such a broad range of tastes. When I see the castle, I don't see a fairy tale palace; I see ramparts and cross-shaped opening for firing arrows.

The fact that Disney can appeal to so many, on so many different levels is what I find most fascinating.
    the castle doesn't seem very masculine to me

I mean it's always been kinda small but dude it's got pink lighting o_O

in fact maybe we should be asking what attracts adult males to Disneyland I mean seriously how can i stand approaching that thing

• /sigh

The churros...if you get what i mean
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast