Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Taking a baby this weekend - advice?

Hi everyone!

On Saturday my husband and I are taking our five month old to his first of many trips to DLR! We were wondering what rides are suitable. I was obsessed with it's a small world from a very young age, and my parents remember taking me on every Fantasyland ride. I figure we can do those. What about DCA? Little Mermaid, definitely, anything else? I've heard about Child Swap. Do they still do that? I really want to experience things we didn't do before having him, like riding the train, people watching, going to shows, etc.

Any other recommendations on bringing a baby? He's not sensitive to noise, light, etc. He loves crowds and people, so he'll probably love smiling at strangers, lol. We will be bringing our stroller as well as a baby carrier.

• -

Re: Taking a baby this weekend - advice?

In Disneyland, anything without a height requirement is fair game including, but not limited to: Pooh, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, the two river boats, Casey Jr, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Snow White, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Carousel, Storybookland, Alice, Small World, Nemo, and Buzz Lightyear.

At CA Adventure there is Monsters Inc, at least 2 Bugs Land rides, Midway Mania, Mermaid, and the ferris wheel.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Knight that says Nee!!

Just don't get too disappointed if at that age he would rather nap through alot of the experiences. For our first child we waited until she could identify characters and understand the basic concept of a theme park. Her first trip at around age 2.5 and it was a great trip, though she does not really remember it anymore, we have much of it on DVD. My second child we took at around 6 mo because we didn't want our daughter missing out on DL for 2 years or so until her younger brother got old enough. My son enjoyed some of the sites on the attractions, but honestly spent 75% of the time people watching and napping.

His smiles were adorable, don't get me wrong, but he really didn't ACTIVELY enjoy DL until he was around 2 or 3.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by neemarita View Post
    Hi everyone!

On Saturday my husband and I are taking our five month old to his first of many trips to DLR! We were wondering what rides are suitable. I was obsessed with it's a small world from a very young age, and my parents remember taking me on every Fantasyland ride. I figure we can do those. What about DCA? Little Mermaid, definitely, anything else? I've heard about Child Swap. Do they still do that? I really want to experience things we didn't do before having him, like riding the train, people watching, going to shows, etc.

Any other recommendations on bringing a baby? He's not sensitive to noise, light, etc. He loves crowds and people, so he'll probably love smiling at strangers, lol. We will be bringing our stroller as well as a baby carrier.
    As long as he isn't easily spooked by sudden noises, you should be good to go. There are more than enough rides that have no height requirements to keep him insterested (when not napping) and when Casey Jr and Storybook come back from refurb later on there will be two more .

And remember that you have the Child Services centers in both parks. The DL one is just off of Main St between the Camera Shop and the Plaza Inn (look for the corn dog cart) and the DCA one is tucked between the Ghirardelli shop and Cars Land. They're a parent's dream come true. A nice air-conditioned palace where you can change and/or feed the baby. A handy kitchen is there as well to prep food and formula, and most importantly to clean yourself up. The cast members are all very sweet and patient ladies. They are pretty well stocked with a lot of necessities should you forget anything at home.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Disney Mom

We took our youngest to DLR for the first time when he was 10 weeks old. I put him in our Baby Bjorn and he rode on everything without a height requirement. He is 3 now and is pretty short for his age, so he still can't go on any of the mountains like his 6yo brother. My husband and I do the child swap, it is easy and a great option.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizmo2000 View Post

And remember that you have the Child Services centers in both parks. The DL one is just off of Main St between the Camera Shop and the Plaza Inn (look for the corn dog cart) and the DCA one is tucked between the Ghirardelli shop and Cars Land. They're a parent's dream come true. A nice air-conditioned palace where you can change and/or feed the baby. A handy kitchen is there as well to prep food and formula, and most importantly to clean yourself up. The cast members are all very sweet and patient ladies. They are pretty well stocked with a lot of necessities should you forget anything at home.
    This! The baby centers were a Godsend. Also, these centers offer a wonderful place for you to just sit and chill when it gets to be too much sensory input for your child. And as your baby gets older, you can continue using them to meet a todler's needs, such as a quiet place to eat with highchairs, and even flushing toilets made in "todler size" to encourage pottytraining. When she's ready for it, of course.

Remember, all children are different. My son had no trouble with any ride being scary, or the characters (except the Beast), but my older daughter was TERRIFIED of the characters. My youngest daughter had no trouble with the characters, but was afraid of anything going fast. You'll have to experiment for yourself.

And don't forget to bring your patience.

• a damsel not in distress

we brought my six-month old niece back in june for our family trip. like others have mentioned, anything without a height requirement is fair game, however, they require them to be seated upright. when we went on peter pan, my sister was holding her in a cradle position because she was asleep and they asked her to sit her upright in her lap so she could be under the lap bar. of course it's a safety issue, but just something to point out so you don't stand in line with a sleeping baby and then realize you have to wake him up.

also, the child swap is a godsend. i don't know how big your group is, but basically whenever a person from you group gets up to the ride loading area, ask a cast member for child swap (not all of them do it) and then after the ride, the waiting parent and another person use the pass to go through the exit line to ride.

with your stroller and baby carrier, you will be required to leave it outside the rides. unless you have a carrier that snaps in to your stroller, i would say leave the carrier at home if you can. also, if you're taking the tram from parking to the park, they require you to collapse the stroller, which is nice to know so you don't fill it past collapsing point before you get on. but a good thing about the stroller is your baby will have a front row seat to the parade; my niece loved that. cast members came up and interacted with her and she, like your son, is super loving with strangers and loved the whole thing!

i'm sure you will all have a fun time. though it won't be a trip he'll remember, you and your husband will. i know my parents love talking about how my sister always loved pirates, even before she could remember. make sure to get him a "first visit" button to pin on to his stroller!

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    And don't forget to bring your patience.
    Ha ha! Best advice....on all around parenting. I swear my patience has been perfected after being a mother for almost 9 years.

My kid was 10 months old when he rode his first Disneyland ride, Pinocchio. As someone else said, just be careful about loudness on the kiddie rides. They can get a bit loud but nothing to scary.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by bisforbrittney View Post
    also, if you're taking the tram from parking to the park, they require you to collapse the stroller, which is nice to know so you don't fill it past collapsing point before you get on.
    Actually, there are a couple of rows that are large enough where you don't have to collapse the stroller. They do require you to take the kid out, of course.

Most of the time we find the structure is close enough to the park to just walk over instead of collapsing the stroller or waiting a couple of trams for the spot with the wider aisle.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Actually, there are a couple of rows that are large enough where you don't have to collapse the stroller. They do require you to take the kid out, of course.

Most of the time we find the structure is close enough to the park to just walk over instead of collapsing the stroller or waiting a couple of trams for the spot with the wider aisle.
    This past trip a few weeks ago, we saw and over-heard ppl talking up the benefits of parking in TS lot while dealing w/ strollers and babies. I think when it was crowded, they made you fold up the stroller, but some ppl didn't when they sat up front.

OP: the Toy Story lot may be the way to go for you. There are many threads that outline the pros and cons of the TS lot.

And by all means, please don't change your child on a table at the restaurants! I don't know why this is becoming such a trend, but I have noticed it happening more and more. Gak!
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    And by all means, please don't change your child on a table at the restaurants! I don't know why this is becoming such a trend, but I have noticed it happening more and more. Gak!
    It is funny you mention this. I just saw something like this when I went yesterday. It wasn't a table in a eatery but it was out in the open, right at the Toontown entrance. These people had the baby out in the open changing her on the CEMENT, but then I saw the man/father/grandfather (don't know which) put her on his lap while the lady was wiping...

I couldn't believe it. Especially since there was a bathroom literally 20 steps away where they have perfectly good, roomy and sanitary changing stations.

Ugh.

• -

Also if you happen to be changing the kid at the car, please don't leave the dirty diaper in the parking lot. I've seen too many people throw the thing under the car as if it magically disappears.

Go with the flow and let the child dictate the day and everyone will be happy. Do not enter with preconcived ideas and everyone will enjoy them selves.

Thanks so much everyone!

I figure we will be able to take in the parks at a more leisurely pace than we had been before when we were running around wanting to go on rides.

Changing a dirty diaper on a table... Eeek. I figure I will love the convenience of the Child Center. A friend of mine told me how wonderful it is. She has a three year old now. Insofar as a carrier I'm talking about the one you wear. I haven't used them much but I figure DLR is a great place to use it.

I'm super excited to take him as my first visit was when I was quite little. My husband didn't go to DLR til he was married to me, so I told him we are absolutely taking our little guy as often as we can! We are dressing him up in his Simba onesie and Simba hat and Simba pants. We like Lion King, can't you tell?

• Greetings, Program!

Easy one. That's simply laziness and non-consideration of others.
    Every restroom in the resort, both genders, are equipped with changing stations plus you have two baby centers.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast