Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: There really is no serious competition for Disneyland.

The thing that sets Disneyland apart from all other theme parks is the fact that Walt Disney's heart and soul, every fiber of his being went in to building Disneyland...building his dream to share with everyone. Walt walked those streets. He personally oversaw every detail, down to the color or placement of the tiniest detail. Its Walt's spirit that continues to live at Disneyland. When you walk under those arches, you are transported, and the world is transformed into something magnificent to behold. Thats why it is so great. It truly is the Magic Kingdom.
    Jack Sparrow - "You have been monstrously deceived." Pirate - We are decepted then..." Jack Sparrow - "Yes"

• -

Quote Originally Posted by burkesox98 View Post
    After going on transformers at USH, i can see first hand the potential universal has.
    While Tranformers is a highly themed ride from the ride experience itself down to the queue through which the line runs, and it may be able to compete against any individual Disneyland ride, the park itself still leaves much to be desired. There really is no cohesive theme as to how the rides are clumped together. They seem to have just been added wherever they had room. In a way, some of Disney's recent decisions seem to be emulating this way of thinking. Hopefully it will never be on the same scale.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

i know it's not direct competition to disneyland, but silver dollar city is wonderfully themed with a variety of rides and unique offerings (like glassblowing, a cave, delicious food).

i'd argue that silver dollar city is of the same caliber of theme park as disneyland. it'd be really interesting to see how it fared against disneyland if they were closer.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    While Tranformers is a highly themed ride from the ride experience itself down to the queue through which the line runs, and it may be able to compete against any individual Disneyland ride, the park itself still leaves much to be desired. There really is no cohesive theme as to how the rides are clumped together. They seem to have just been added wherever they had room. In a way, some of Disney's recent decisions seem to be emulating this way of thinking. Hopefully it will never be on the same scale.
    Why would you NOT want Universal to be on the same scale as Disney? How could that NOT be a good thing? Is it just because it's not "Disney"? Because it's not part of this unfounded Walt Mysticism?

Disney is a company. Period. It's not a Man, Walt has been dead for 45 years. The Disney Company has existed for as long without Walt as it did with Walt. It's time to move on.

Disneyland is the best THEME PARK there is because starting with Walt Disney (and primarily because of Walt Disney), they have been able to cultivate and ingrain that THEME into children and families for decades.

Think about it: The Happiest Place On Earth. Seriously, how good of a job has Disneyland done to create a theme park that embodies that THEME?

Disneyland has created a brand that is unparalleled when it comes to the theme park experience. Kids go to Disneyland and fall in love with the characters and the ambiance and that love affair continues on through to adulthood, when those same kids are now adults and can share their joy with their children. Its a seemingly endless cycle.

Someone mentioned sports teams and that's a very good analogy to Disneyland. Many people have grown up rooting for a particular sports team and have had that ingrained in them from their parents and it creates a similar type of long-term branding for people.

• Minion

I disagree. Universal is up there. Not exactly where Disneyland is, but it's not far behind. Just wait until Potter opens...
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• -

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Why would you NOT want Universal to be on the same scale as Disney?
    I was actually talking about some of the recent decisions that Disney made to just plop things in where there is room but not necessarily where it would be thematically correct thus emulating Universal's ride placement model. I don't want Disney to slip down to that scale. If Universal wants to up its standards in CA and create a cohesive theme around the rides in a given area then we all win. Disney should just not slip down as far as the current Universal Studios Hollywood.
    Last edited by calsig31; 10-15-2012 at 11:43 AM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by paradesintherain View Post
    i know it's not direct competition to disneyland, but silver dollar city is wonderfully themed with a variety of rides and unique offerings (like glassblowing, a cave, delicious food).

i'd argue that silver dollar city is of the same caliber of theme park as disneyland. it'd be really interesting to see how it fared against disneyland if they were closer.
    I completely agree with you here. Silver Dollar City is a beautifully themed park. I live only about an hour away. While it's not the best park in terms of attractions, it is still a great place to visit. You really feel like you have stepped into another place and time while you are there.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

Why would you NOT want Universal to be on the same scale as Disney? How could that NOT be a good thing? Is it just because it's not "Disney"? Because it's not part of this unfounded Walt Mysticism?
    I think he was just saying that some more recent Disney work was more scattershot from a master-planning standpoint.

Having spent considerable time at Universal as a vendor over the years, I know that there was little done in the way of a cohesive master plan between top lot (show / amusement park area) and the lower lot (actual production areas / support services with tour attractions scattered through here and there).

What calsig31 says about Transformers is true - although that new attraction is cohesive, that theming cohesion falls apart once you get 20 or 30' away from the show building and you're back to a bunch of attractions without any continuity in design or theme aesthetic.

Disney has shown in very recent years (e.g., New Fantasyland) that they still have an a-game when it comes to tying together disparate franchises within a larger theme concept. Carsland is an example of how Disney masterfully creates not just one attraction, but a land around one of their more popular IP situations. That New Fantasyland and Carsland can come from the same company almost simultaneously speaks volumes to the power and talent Disney still wields when it comes to theme park design, and, more importantly, execution.
    ~ Erik

• Functional & Decorative

I'm surprised no one's mentioned either Dollywood or Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Both are stunning parts that would compare favorably to Disney, IMO.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned either Dollywood or Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Both are stunning parts that would compare favorably to Disney, IMO.
    i mentioned dollywood's sister park!

• Senior Minion

Exactly right. Unfortunately for those of us who disagree with Eisner's "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides" paradigm, Disney continues to demonstrate it is locked into imitating Universal's "Ride the Movies" model. Be it shoving a 20th century British cartoon bear into the 19th century American woods, or a contemporary cartoon fish into Tomorrowland, Disney clearly doesn't give a rat's rear about cohesive theme.

Disney is a company. Period. It's not a Man, Walt has been dead for 45 years. The Disney Company has existed for as long without Walt as it did with Walt. It's time to move on.
    Disney has moved on -- from being world-class creative and technological innovators to copycats of the Universal theme park model.

To the thread title "There really is no serious competition for Disneyland," I would add the word "Yet." If Disney continues copying movies for its theme parks, it eventually will become indistinguishable from Universal -- in everything but its gargantuan management hierarchy and every-increasing prices.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Circle of Ancients

I was actually talking about some of the recent decisions that Disney made to just plop things in where there is room but not necessarily where it would be thematically correct thus emulating Universal's ride placement model. I don't want Disney to slip down to that scale. If Universal wants to up its standards in CA and create a cohesive theme around the rides in a given area then we all win. Disney should just not slip down as far as the current Universal Studios Hollywood.
    Sorry I misinterpreted. I agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Disney has moved on -- from being world-class creative and technological innovators to copycats of the Universal theme park model.

To the thread title "There really is no serious competition for Disneyland," I would add the word "Yet." If Disney continues copying movies for its theme parks, it eventually will become indistinguishable from Universal -- in everything but its gargantuan management hierarchy and every-increasing prices.
    Agreed. Which is why I wonder so much why fans are so insistent on holding on to "What Would Walt Do"?. At this point it's moot. The Disney COMPANY is never going back to that. No matter if it's Iger, Lasster, etc.

As far as the ever-increasing prices, I also agree. I know I've said it on other threads, but after our AP's expire in May we are no longer renewing. Not because we can't afford it but because the price for what we pay has surpassed the "percieved value".

Whereas something like Six Flags, where we only paid $220 TOTAL for our family of 4 and have visited at the least 6 times (wife and daughter) up to 17 times (me) we have certainly gotten our money's worth. Factor in the closer distance (gas) the fact that we are able to go up for only a few hours due to that distance which saves money on food, etc ... it's certainly worth it.

Is it "Better" ... no. Is it "Different" ... of course. Did we spend more quality family time at Six Flags than we did at Disney this year. NO QUESTION!!! And really, isn't that what the point of the entire thing is?
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 10-15-2012 at 12:37 PM.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

In a way I find it very sad. I feel the public (for the most part), demands that rides be sourced from movies and they are a huge part of the issue. This means that Disney all too much is giving them what they what, and the price for this is less original creativity and more movies into rides. Disney is now more of a follower than a trail blazing company.

As far as competition mentioned in the OP, I am a themepark junkie. Every few years or so DLR falls off my radar. If I want thrills, I head straight to SFMM or even Knott's.

When it comes to the GP (the general public), there are hordes of ppl who avoid DLR at all costs. They may love parks, but DLR doesn't have what they seek - or not enough of it. Every sibling, cousin, aunt/uncle, and my parents (in their 60s) all love parks, but NONE of them can stand DLR (or any Disney park). I think there are more ppl w/ this attitude than there are fans (casual or fanatical) of Disneyland.

Side note: I would love love love to have a Disney thrill park. Rides that would give SF a run for their money, but details on par w/ the original MK. It is my life long dream to be able to see this happen.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Disneyland is not going to be for EVERYONE. No form of entertainment is. However, Disneyland does the best job of branding and creating a THEME park that appeals to many people.

Sure there are other theme parks and I am sure there are many people who are bigger fans of other parks than Disneyland, but that doesn't mean any theme park can compare to what Disneyland is.

Disneyland just has such a large, identifiable brand with an appeal that is pretty pervasive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast