Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: There really is no serious competition for Disneyland.

But compare it to Universal:

They came out with Transformers and Spiderman the ride and it's par with Disney's new offering. Potterland is as well themed as Carsland. Universal has well themed kids' areas that seem to keep the children entertained. Their parks are clean and well kept.

To think that Disney doesn't have serious competition is not entirely true. Universal studios is seeing the reward of quality attractions that are well themed. I'm guessing Disney is concerned and seeing that Walt's philosophy is not adhered to anymore Disney can be caught, and I bet it's sooner than they'd ever hope for.

Disney should be creative enough to originate attractions that stand alone without the crutch of a movie. I believe this is as important to Disney's intellectual health as the creation of new film franchises and characters.

Although Disneyland has always been a destination concerned with turning a profit from tying-in its filmed entertainment with its attractions and theming, many of us remember attractions from our childhood in the parks that didn't tie-in directly to a particular film or cartoon franchise.

Do these rides and attractions have more or less value than ones taken from the clear blue sky? Is the overall theme experience (and its cohesiveness from one attraction to the next) necessarily better in Tomorrowland than it is in Fantasyland? I think if most of us ordered the attractions below by "favorite", you'd find little in the way of trend or correlation between where or how it was originated and how we feel about it emotionally.

Blue Sky Attractions

Mission to Mars
    PeopleMover
    Space Mountain
    People Mover
    Autopia / Tomorrowland Speedway
    Motorboat Cruise / Speedboats
    Submarine Voyage
    America Sings
    Carousel of Progress
    Rocket Rods
    Rocket Jets
    Astro Orbiter
    Skyway
    Matterhorn
    Haunted Mansion
    Jungle Cruise
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Columbia Sailing Ship
    Mark Twain
    Country Bear Jamboree
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    Pack Mules
    Mine Train
    Adventure Through Inner Space
    it's a small world
    Alweg Monorail
    Disneyland RR
    Kali Rapids
    Expedition Everest

Storybook Land

Derivative Attractions

Tom Sawyer's Island
    Snow White's Scary Adventures
    Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
    Peter Pan's Flight
    Swiss Family Treehouse
    Mad Tea Party
    Alice in Wonderland
    King Arthur's Carousel
    Star Tours
    Radiator Springs Racers
    Luigi's Flying Tires
    Splash Mountain
    Dumbo the Flying Elephant
    Roger Rabbit's Toontown Spin
    Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
    Casey Jr. Train
    ~ Erik

• Circle of Ancients

^^ Good points.

I know there was talk once upon a time regarding a 2nd Universal park in SoCal and I honestly think if they did it, and did it the way they've been doing their recent attractions it would BLOW DCA (at the very least) out of the water.

The big issue with USH has always been, and will always continue to be the neighbors and the noise issues being that the studio is the main component of the park.

I know everybody wants Potter, and so do I. I'm just afraid that it's not going to have enough room and will be under too many restrictions at the park.

I'd be all in favor of them building a 2nd park, not on the current property and have it be centered on Harry Potter (but not entirely potter). It would be interesting to see how it could compete with Disney if it was built down in OC.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 10-15-2012 at 01:33 PM.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
    Yes, that is my opinion.

I know there are other parks, theme parks (KBF) and Six Flags etc...

But none really capture the spirit of Disneyland. Especially the castle, Fantasy Land, where the smallest ones can really enjoy the fun, the connection between the films and the attractions. Then there is the parades, and shows. The characters, the character breakfasts, watching the toddlers play, laugh and interact. This is pure magic.

So Disneyland stands alone. And no one can compete. Not on this deep of levels.
    Um, yeah. We know.

Good reason for not discounting the park so steeply with an AP Program.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Disneyland is so much more than a theme park, if you want to say that disneyland has competition theme park wise they do. universal is catching up to disney but they are still a little behind IMO but coming very close!, but when is comes down to it..there is no other place that touches the hearts like disneyland or disney parks in general, its a place where you see children's eyes light up if you just mention disneyland or disneyworld etc. its where adults can feel like a kid again, its where you see grown people tear up because there's something so magical about that place, when you think about it can any other theme park charge the prices that disney does and get away with it? would any1 really pay 650 for a year around pass, or would pay a 3 day park hopper that's 250? for a another park?. disney parks by far are the most attended theme parks in the world. & think about if disney parks were cheap like the others parks.. you wouldn't even be able to park you car it would be so over crowded. disney is still king if you really think about it.

• Circle of Ancients

All anybody has to do is look at the two distinctive articles for Disneyland and Universal Orlando today to see that there IS indeed competition and they are catching up.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Depends on how you define "competition." If you mean "other places for families to spend their vacation money," of course there's plenty of competition for DL, and we've named off several of those places earlier in this thread. If you mean "places to get an immersive themed experience," that narrows the list, but it's still very possible. You have renaissance faires, living history sites, themed nightclubs, etc. Some people, however, are very specific about what they want from a vacation and what they want is a Disney branded experience. If you mean it that way, of course, everything else will fall short of DL or WDW.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    Depends on how you define "competition." If you mean "other places for families to spend their vacation money," of course there's plenty of competition for DL, and we've named off several of those places earlier in this thread. If you mean "places to get an immersive themed experience," that narrows the list, but it's still very possible. You have renaissance faires, living history sites, themed nightclubs, etc. Some people, however, are very specific about what they want from a vacation and what they want is a Disney branded experience. If you mean it that way, of course, everything else will fall short of DL or WDW.
    Totally agree. The key to the immense success for the Disneyland theme parks is the strength of the Disney brand.

They are so good at promoting and building it and kids and families who want that, which are a lot, want to go to Disneyland to enjoy that brand.

Other places here are good options for entertainment, but they don't have the branding like Disneyland to really be considered a real threat to catch Disneyland.

• Circle of Ancients

Honestly, we hard-core Disney fans are in the minority when it comes to our enjoyment of all things Disney. I think the mistake fans of any particular activity make (and this is for ANY activity) is thinking that everybody holds what we love up to the same standard that we hold it up to. This is simply not the case.

We are in a bubble of mostly like-minded fans of Disney. So for the other 99.9% of society, there are PLENTY of things that compare to Disney. Most people don't get bothered by something as minor as we would get bothered by. They don't mind attractions being based off of movies, in fact, probably quite the opposite.

disney absolutely dominates the global theme park market, with essentially the entire top 10 being made up of disney parks. quality wise though, i agree universal is up there, their islands of advenutre /potterland park is extremely well done. also disney doesn't have any entries in the thrill park subcategory, with 6 flags and ceder fair fighting it out in the states. if you want the best and fastest coasters, you aren't going to go to a disney park that's for sure.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    We are in a bubble of mostly like-minded fans of Disney. So for the other 99.9% of society, there are PLENTY of things that compare to Disney. Most people don't get bothered by something as minor as we would get bothered by. They don't mind attractions being based off of movies, in fact, probably quite the opposite.
    This! I'd even say we're the bubble in the bubble. Around here, the DoM mentality gets called out pretty quickly, but go to other Disney boards and you'll see it in full swing. (I've seen threads where "My 8 year old likes it" is considered a conclusive argument.)

This is why the general public unfortunately places Disney fans in the same category as crazy cat ladies. The company has spent so long going after the branded lifestyle audience that the fandom has gotten (figuratively) inbred. People used to think my knowing the entire Jungle Cruise spiel was kind of weird, but cool at the same time. Now, they just roll their eyes and say, "Oh, g-d, you're one of those people."
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    This sums it up for me!

• The doctor is in

There is competition out there for Disneyland. I don't know how many people are like me and never give myself the opportunity to go to other CA parks like Knotts Berry Farm, Six Flags, or Universal Studios. When going to CA I usually have a choice of which thing I want to do and I always choose Disneyland. I guess I feel like I can go to a Six Flags and only have to commit to a 25min drive but I can't just decide to go to Disneyland.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Dead men tell no tales.

Very true, nothing really offers Disneyland any serious competition. It's just so unique on it's own and there's pretty much nothing now and nothing that ever will challenge it.

Disney, speaking primarily of TDA, has no equal when it comes to arrogance. They have a very high opinion of their product. The attendance for Disneyland bears that out. California Adventure is a whole different story. The dumped over One Billion dollars into it & you still have a forgettable experience. Move DCA twenty miles away & you would be looking at a parking lot in 5 years time. It cannot stand alone at those prices. It probably would have to resort to Knott's pricing to survive.
    Disneyland itself has been a mixed bag over the last 20 years. They have ridden the finely crafted Disney reputation for a very long time. With incessant price increases and decreased value with hard ticket events, & middling to poor new attractions, I predict that the pixie dust will run out soon. Throw on top of that the handling of their cast members, you are talking about a diminished product.
    It is not so much that someone will catch Disney, it will be that Disney will lower itself to the level of the competition. They are doing this rather quickly. Cars Land is a beautiful package that holds a mediocre gift. Radiator Springs is a nice enough attraction. It is nowhere near the level of Pirates of the Caribbean (even with the Sparrow infection). Luigi's and Mater's are dead on arrival.
    Still in doubt? Look at Ariel's queue. It was built in anticipation of hour long standby lines.
    It is virtually a walk on at any time of day. Back in the real park, there was actually a fast pass station for Pooh. Small miscalculations, but it is symptomatic of the larger problem
    Disney wants top dollar and then some for their entertainment. Right now they are getting it. I may be wrong, but my bet is that they are going to have a blind date with reality in the near future.
    It is sad that such a cherished part of the American psyche is being abused. Yes, Disney is a business, but profiting at all costs in the short term is terminal to the well being of the long term.
    Let me give you an example. There used to be a company whose catalogue was the dream of every child in November. It went to virtually every household. Families pored over every page. The company had a steadfast guarantee on their products. They were the number one retail company in America for decade after decade. You could count on anything and everything they sold. After time this quality dropped and so did its reputation. It now exists in name only. That company is Sears Roebuck. If you are over 50, you know this to be true. If you are under 30, you have no idea what I am talking about. Fifty years ago, Sears had no equal. The competition didn't improve. Sears failed to uphold its standards. So it will be with Disney.
    Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast