Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Mischievous Mouse

There really is no serious competition for Disneyland.

Yes, that is my opinion.

I know there are other parks, theme parks (KBF) and Six Flags etc...

But none really capture the spirit of Disneyland. Especially the castle, Fantasy Land, where the smallest ones can really enjoy the fun, the connection between the films and the attractions. Then there is the parades, and shows. The characters, the character breakfasts, watching the toddlers play, laugh and interact. This is pure magic.

So Disneyland stands alone. And no one can compete. Not on this deep of levels.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Minion

Re: There really is no serious competition for Disneyland.

agree the other parks try but always missing something special which DL has that no other park has.

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

I agree. DL is the single greatest theme park in the world and DCA next door just makes it all that much better.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Competition is alive and well amongst the so cal theme parks. With AP prices keep increasing the way they are, that $69 AP for Knott's looks more and more inviting.

Historically Knotts is the one theme park that could legitimately claim to be Disneyland's true competitor. Things slipped big-time when Cedar Fair took over. But they seem to be cleaning things up quite a bit now. That insanely inexpensive AP certainly looks inviting compared to their competition.

The only companies that can really hope to compete are ones with the same depth of recognizable intellectual property available to them. There are very few that can mine their libraries for characters and situations appropriate to a family-friendly themed environment.

Even with the IP behind them, emulating what Disney has accomplished over a 75 year period is a tall, risky order for even the largest company. Studios like Viacom, Warner Bros and Paramount still may not have the wherewithal (or shareholder will) to pull off themed entertainment to the levels of quality that Disney does with great consistency.

That all said, Universal has become much, much more sophisticated in the past twenty years from the humble beginnings of their California tour.
    Last edited by Erik Olson; 10-15-2012 at 09:05 AM.
    ~ Erik

• Long live the Fire Lord

It's the best Theme park for sure. Only the Potter section of Islands of Adventure comes close.
    "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

• Keepin' it calsteady

I see Disneyland as something like the Ferrari or Rolls Royce of theme parks: People don't really cross-shop it against other options because they know what they want. People don't want to go to a theme park, they want to go to Disneyland. Just like people who want to go on roller coasters want to go to Six Flags.

Instead of other parks, Disneyland's biggest competition probably comes from unrelated uses for disposable income like sports tickets and weekend getaways.

• Circle of Ancients

Just a question ... how many different parks have you been to? Are you just considering other SoCal parks (Knott's, Universal, Six Flags, Sea World, etc). Have you been to Florida? Busch Gardens? Tokyo Disneyland?

The fact is, there IS competition for Disneyland.

• Under that tree again!

Disneyland has so much competition, it lost out over an over. Decades ago I wanted to go to Magic Mountain so much more and did.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

That's like saying the 4 Seasons hotel is the best. A lot of people are not able to afford the 4 Seasons so they'll have to settle for a lesser place to stay but most of the time the family is happy and satisfied. Those who are spoiled will note the differences in the top of the line place but with the cost differences being being so significant, it makes sense to go with the more affordable option. That's pretty much where Disneyland stands now.

I guess this really depends on your personal opinion/point of view. DLR may not have any serious competition as far as SoCal goes, but WDW (for example) is definitely competition for non-locals.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

After going on transformers at USH, i can see first hand the potential universal has.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    The only companies that can really hope to compete are ones with the same depth of recognizable intellectual property available to them. There are very few that can mine their libraries for characters and situations appropriate to a family-friendly themed environment.

Even with the IP behind them, emulating what Disney has accomplished over a 75 year period is a tall, risky order for even the largest company. Studios like Viacom, Warner Bros and Paramount still may not have the wherewithal (or shareholder will) to pull off themed entertainment to the levels of quality that Disney does with great consistency.

That all said, Universal has become much, much more sophisticated in the past twenty years from the humble beginnings of their California tour.

For me, the draw to the parks worldwide has not been IP-driven, but quality-driven. I think it's the financial resources of TWDC & the skill/depth of experience that WDI/WED, Parks & Resorts has accumulated over 50+ years. No other entity comes close to the total cash investment put into theme parks (and the artistry/wizardry that money buys) since their popularization. And since Disney spends the most, the best talent has gone to WDI. In recent years, it's looking like outside companies may want to get further into the Tier I theme park game (Universal verges into that territory), and with the early 2000s diaspora at WDI, the talent is out there to create equals/betters to Disneyland.

For example, if company XYZ wanted to build a $4.3 billion theme park resort in Shanghai to compete with Disney's planned park, and XYZ hired the best talent available (many former-WDI) I have no doubt they could equal or exceed the Disneyland park with none of the IP.
    Last edited by RandySavage; 10-15-2012 at 11:06 AM.

• Keepin' it calsteady

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Disneyland has so much competition, it lost out over an over. Decades ago I wanted to go to Magic Mountain so much more and did.
    This is my point: When someone wants to go to Magic Mountain there is no way Disneyland is even up for discussion. Just like when someone wants the Disneyland experience there's no way they consider going to Magic Mountain instead. Of course, the flaw with my point is that it assumes people have been to the different parks already, or know enough about them to know which experience they want.

New way of saying it: The competition for Disneyland doesn't come down to any other park offering a comparable experience, but that different people are looking for different experiences entirely, which Disneyland doesn't offer: Magic Mountain roller coasters, Universal's tour, Knott's...uh...fried chicken???

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

While I love Disneyland and DCA the most.....if I was poor and I mean dead poor and could only go to Disneyland ONCE a year of Six Flags or Universal like ten times for the same price then....most years I'd go to the other parks because of low crowds...cheaper tickets and other dicounts

Disneyland is king but other parks do offer deal to compete like buy a day get a year and the MUCH better Halloween events that offer not just "exclusive" shows but mazes too

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast