Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Re: Fastpass return times to be enforced starting next month

So if the system pops out a FP ticket for 3:20 you have plenty of time BEFORE then to run to the hotel, get your meds and come back.
    no, a lot of times you have to take medicines or take a shot at specified times during the day (4pm, not 3pm).

• Non-Minion

Quote Originally Posted by thomaslw View Post
    no, a lot of times you have to take medicines or take a shot at specified times during the day (4pm, not 3pm).
    What I am saying is this. The FP would have a return time from 3:20-4:20...you get your meds well before then, wait till 4 go to the restroom that is close to whatever ride it is your FP is for, take your meds/shot, and you still have 20 min to spare

Tah Dah!
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• -

The beauty of the fastpass distribution area is that it tells you the time they are giving fastpasses out for. If the return time is going to conflict with your med schedule, don't get a fastpass. Come back later when a more favorable time is being distributed. Again, it is the same way you wouldn't make dinner reservations for an inconvenient time.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    What I am saying is this. The FP would have a return time from 3:20-4:20...you get your meds well before then, wait till 4 go to the restroom that is close to whatever ride it is your FP is for, take your meds/shot, and you still have 20 min to spare

Tah Dah!
    i don't think it's out of the question that many people don't want to shoot themselves in the stomach in a public restroom? or take meds that might have some immediate side effect (potentially throwing up sometimes)? there are a lot of legit reasons why someone wouldn't want to do so in a public restroom. my point isn't this example, it's that there are a lot of examples where a 1 hr window has a really bad impact on legitimate reasons. maybe you are in a line when the window opens near the front of the line and then the ride breaks down for 30 minutes (which isn't uncommon for certain rides cough indy), and then it moves and you are stuck on it since it's kind of a hassel to back out when you are in the last area and can't make it back after the ride because you are a slow walker but didn't want to use the special assistant card?

1 hour strict will make a lot of guests unhappy. i don't like soft windows cuz where do you draw the line? so make it a hard 2 hour limit and that will cover 99.99% of all legit reasons why someone couldn't make it back in time.

• My Children's Father

Won't the NextGen stuff allow for selecting a later return window? It's just computer programming.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Goofy

sad news indeed. somehow i doubt this

---------- Post added 10-16-2012 at 01:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    There goes the resort. Seriously, this combined with nextgen, tracking bracelets, christmas and halloween offerings going to paid parties, the resort is sounding less and less fun and more of a dictatorship with the mouse up top. So sad.

yeah its a shame too.

• -

i don't think it's out of the question that many people don't want to shoot themselves in the stomach in a public restroom? or take meds that might have some immediate side effect (potentially throwing up sometimes)? there are a lot of legit reasons why someone wouldn't want to do so in a public restroom. my point isn't this example, it's that there are a lot of examples where a 1 hr window has a really bad impact on legitimate reasons. maybe you are in a line when the window opens near the front of the line and then the ride breaks down for 30 minutes (which isn't uncommon for certain rides cough indy), and then it moves and you are stuck on it since it's kind of a hassel to back out when you are in the last area and can't make it back after the ride because you are a slow walker but didn't want to use the special assistant card?

1 hour strict will make a lot of guests unhappy. i don't like soft windows cuz where do you draw the line? so make it a hard 2 hour limit and that will cover 99.99% of all legit reasons why someone couldn't make it back in time.
    Really if a ride breaks down for a length of time that would force someone to miss their 1 hour grace period they will most likely extend the fastpass from a service stand point.

However, going on another ride when it is close to the time that you are able to use your fastpass is the chance you take. Again, if you had movie tickets and got stuck on a ride the theater wouldn't rewind the film.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^well unlike movies...these rides shoot people off every 30 secs...a movie is too different to compare it too....

I get what you mean but unless the wait times go down by alot...then I don;t see how this is at all a good thing

• "I Break Things"

I'll avoid the "just get rid of it" debate (it's well documented on here and would clog up the thread). Instead I'll just say that I doubt the strict enforcement will stick. The whole reason they didn't strictly enforce the window was because "Disney isn't in the business of saying "No" to the Guest." That said I HIGHLY doubt it will stick after the first few concerns start rolling through City Hall (and I'm confident they will).
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Really if a ride breaks down for a length of time that would force someone to miss their 1 hour grace period they will most likely extend the fastpass from a service stand point. However, going on another ride when it is close to the time that you are able to use your fastpass is the chance you take. Again, if you had movie tickets and got stuck on a ride the theater wouldn't rewind the film.
    you can't extend another fastpass if a ride breaks down, otherwise everyone wuold use that excuse.

it's not that hard to imagine:

it is 230 and your window opens at 3:20pm for space mtn. the standby for indy says 45 minutes. PLENTY OF TIME you think since you'll be out by 3:20 and can mosey on down to space mtn. so you go in indy, but like every "disneyland pro" knows, those standby times are not at all that accurate (new guests will be really screwed). so it is 3:30pm and you are in the front section, on the stairs. and the ride breaks down. this happens fairly frequently. and they always say 'we have no idea sorry'. and you are starting to decide if it's worth it for you and ur fam to bolt, but your kids really wanna go on indy! and i mean after all you have a full hour still. 30 minutes pass, and you are thinking 'hrm this might be bad' and really consider bolting, but i mean you are on the stairs and that's a really tough place to exit the ride from if you have a group. oh the ride gets started again so you'll wait it out, and on you go, but it's another 10 mins before they u get on, and then the ride itself is a few minutes. so it's 4:15 and you have to walk all the way to space mtn in 5 minutes, and you are not able to walk that fast. guess what CM is going to get an earful?

these types of situations will pop up enough given the tens of thousands of people that are in the parks. new guests will really be unhappy given that A) they don't know about the wait times being estimates at best, B) they are in the parks for one day only and to get denied because they missed a window by 10 minutes due to a ride breaking down or something else they felt was outside their control is going to really suck. CMs will eventually just let people on when they have a story and soon all the regulars will figure this out too. "oh uh indy broke down, that's why i'm late. hee hee". so let's just stop it and make it a large enough window that no reasonable excuse could be had. otherwise i gurentee you will see big and variable grace periods and you'll just get people going 'hey last time i was able to get on!".

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I'll avoid the "just get rid of it" debate (it's well documented on here and would clog up the thread). Instead I'll just say that I doubt the strict enforcement will stick. The whole reason they didn't strictly enforce the window was because "Disney isn't in the business of saying "No" to the Guest." That said I HIGHLY doubt it will stick after the first few concerns start rolling through City Hall (and I'm confident they will).
    People said the same things when WDW started enforcing their FP return times and that turned out to be much ado about nothing.

Yes, Disneyland is more of a "local" park than WDW is but guess what ... Disney is trying to cater LESS to AP's and more to vacationers. This falls directly in-line with their plan.

• Yearning for Disneyland

It's a bit of a bummer that the flexibility of FP's are going away, but if it really will clean up wait times like everyone says, I can't see how that's going to be a bad thing.

The only thing that I could think that would make it better would be if you could schedule certain FP return times so it fits with your schedule, largely eliminating the need to use a FP outside the correct window. But it sounds like that's the whole idea of the NextGen stuff, so yeah.

Anyway, I'm going to the parks in January but it should be so non-busy that it probably won't be a problem.

...and just a little bit of pixie dust!
    http://www.spareoom.net

• Inappropriate

Well crap. I thought they were already enforcing this, so on my trip two weeks ago, I was sticking with the posted times. It was easy. This also explains why the splash mountain fastpass return line was just as long as the stand by line. Hopefully sticking with the posted times eliminates this.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    As an admitted Fastpass "abuser" I am curious to see what effect this has on wait times. Hopefully Al will feature this in a future article. But for those of you accusatory FP window adherants that criticize us "abusers", I have one question: Have you ever broken the speed limit while driving down the freeway?
    I feel like I'm pro and con. Pro because I too am curious about how the new system will affect wait times. I get frustrated on Space Mountain in the evenings. Even if I have a valid fastpass it seems like I'm waiting forever to get on. Not to be negative, but is this primarily AP's that come in the evening drawing such a crowd to SM?

Does anyone know how being more strict about FP in WDW has affected their lines? What happens when a ride breaks down in WDW for those that had a FP for that time bracket?

I am con because I don't like change! I feel like I will have to get adjusted and I'm afraid I'll feel rushed in the park to get back to rides at certain times. I wonder if I'll stop using FP altogether.

•   
    • Minion

i don't think it's out of the question that many people don't want to shoot themselves in the stomach in a public restroom? or take meds that might have some immediate side effect (potentially throwing up sometimes)? there are a lot of legit reasons why someone wouldn't want to do so in a public restroom.
    One note for anyone with a chronic health challenge like diabetes, asthma, etc: the First Aid station is wonderful. If you needed to give yourself an injection you could do it there, they'd let you lie down on their comfy couch/beds for as long as you needed, and they'd likely have sharps disposal on site. I've had to go to First Aid when I've had asthma attacks and they've been wonderful about letting me stay there until my meds kick in and I'm feeling okay again. So that might be an alternative to returning to the hotel.

Back to Fastpasses, though: this is a good thing. A very good thing, IMHO. We keep talking about how unfair it is to have a one hour window and to expect people to show up then. What about the unfairness to everyone who DOES show up on time? If I've made an effort to get back to the ride by my Fastpass window, and I end up waiting 40 minutes because of all the people who are coming that had a FP window two hours ago...that's not fair to me, it's not fair to everyone else who showed up on time, and it's not fair to the standby line which has to wait longer to accommodate all the FP stragglers. Space Mountain is the worst for this, as others have noted. I hate getting back on time for my nighttime return window, only to discover the FP queue is ridiculously long.

It's not really a dictatorship to have a strict Fastpass window. Not everything is open ended. The Princess meet & greet closes at a certain time; if you want to see it you get there on time. Ditto for the Parades, fireworks, rope drop, etc. And with those, if you miss it, you miss it. With Fastpass, if you get back too late, you can always get another FP for later, or wait standby.

Also, in the event of a legit delay on another ride--like you're trapped on Indy for an hour when it goes 101--they can always distribute those courtesy fastpasses or stamp your FP ticket or something so your "expired" Fastpass will be honored.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast