Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Al Report: Iron Man E-Ticket Thril Ride to Replace Innoventions

Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    You happen to notice the success of HarryPotterLand? The country disagrees with your position. Disney is in the business of making popular attractions for the masses, not for the hardcore fans.
    You miss the point. Nobody's claiming that people don't currently flock to branded theme park rides. The point is that by continuing to copycat Universal, Disney erodes the once-major difference between the Disneyland theme park brand and the Universal Studios theme park brand, and thus gives marketing leverage to Universal.

Disneyland became a world famous hit because it was enormously different from, and enormously more creative and innovative than, any competition. By taking Eisner's cheap way out and imitating Universal's "Ride the Movies" model with it's own "Turning Movies Into Rides" model, Disney increasingly offers similar-to-the-competition product at higher-than-the-competition prices.

Still think that Disney copying Universal is a viable business plan for the long term? So does the braintrust at TDA. All of you should read this post.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-16-2012 at 08:58 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    I am with you on this aspect. I don't want to see some superhero mash-up which I dread is what's going to happen.
    That's my biggest fear about bringing in Iron Man. Once they have him in DL, they'll come up with some lame excuse to bring in the Avengers (the worst mash-up of characters I can think of).

Iron Man is my favorite Marvel character - in his own Marvel World. If they produce some sort of Stark Expo that only peripherally has an Iron Man element, but is enhanced by a number of imagined future concepts (the sort of things that people would have liked to have seen in Innoventions), I think the experience could bring back some of the inventiveness that the original Tomorrowland held.

Other than that, I think that all other Marvel Characters should be kept out of Disneyland altogether.

• Banned User

As long as its High quality, thrilling and not based on a cartoon I fully support it

I hope it has actual audio animatronics and ROBOTS and not just video screens everywhere.

• formerly very helpful

Please, just make it good.

• Insomniac

Will it fit Tomorrowland? It all depends on how they portray it.

Could Nemo fit Tomorrowland had they portrayed it in a different way? Yep they could have had more focus on the technology that allowed us to talk to fish, dive beneath the seas, etc. Would it be perfect? No, but it would fit a lot better than it does now.

Could BLAB fit Tomorrowland? Yes if they had portrayed him as a space ranger instead of a toy. Again, it wouldn't be perfect, but better than they did it.

I feel exactly the same way with Ironman. Is Ironman portrayed in the future? No. Could it portray a futuristic ideal? Yes. The ideas of technology making the world a better place are the same concepts that led Tony Stark to develop Ironman in the movies/ comics. If they portray Ironman as the product of innovation and technology, it will fit a lot better than Buzz, Nemo, or Innoventions. Technology always had a presence in Tomorrowland and should continue to do so in the future. However, will Iger and his marketeers put in a ride that down plays the characters of ironman and puts emphasis on the technology? I highly doubt it. The ride will most likely be another "and something goes horribly wrong" ride in which ironman saves the day. Tony Stark will most certainly be front and center (innapropriate comments and all). However, I could be wrong and an Ironman ride may be a great addition that portrays technology and how it can make the world better.

What do I personally think about the idea? It's a bad idea to turn Disneyland into marketeer land where everything is tied back to a movie.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

A bit off topic but what ticket rating did Disney give DL Innoventions when it first opened?
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Lets not leave out Tony Stark's alcoholism either shall we...
    Pssssh...i wish they brought that up in the movies....but no of course they can't do that in movies made for "everyone" we cant have adult discussions about how drinking is bad.....because then the major alcohol companies get mad at Marvel/Disney and so do parents because Billy ask if Drinking is bad..why do you do it?

Anyway who cares....Walt Smoked inside the parks so should he have not been allowed in because he is sending the wrong message?

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post

Could Nemo fit Tomorrowland had they portrayed it in a different way? Yep they could have had more focus on the technology that allowed us to talk to fish, dive beneath the seas, etc. Would it be perfect? No, but it would fit a lot better than it does now.

Could BLAB fit Tomorrowland? Yes if they had portrayed him as a space ranger instead of a toy. Again, it wouldn't be perfect, but better than they did it.

I feel exactly the same way with Ironman. Is Ironman portrayed in the future? No. Could it portray a futuristic ideal? Yes. The ideas of technology making the world a better place are the same concepts that led Tony Stark to develop Ironman in the movies/ comics. If they portray Ironman as the product of innovation and technology, it will fit a lot better than Buzz, Nemo, or Innoventions. Technology always had a presence in Tomorrowland and should continue to do so in the future. However, will Iger and his marketeers put in a ride that down plays the characters of ironman and puts emphasis on the technology? I highly doubt it. The ride will most likely be another "and something goes horribly wrong" ride in which ironman saves the day. Tony Stark will most certainly be front and center (innapropriate comments and all). However, I could be wrong and an Ironman ride may be a great addition that portrays technology and how it can make the world better.

What do I personally think about the idea? It's a bad idea to turn Disneyland into marketeer land where everything is tied back to a movie.
    My thoughts exactly. I doubt that I would ever be madly in love with the addition of Iron Man in Tomorrowland, but if it emphasized the progression of technology and highlighted the futuristic ideas that can be found in the franchise, it could be better suited to Tomorrowland than I originally thought. However, I somehow doubt that such an attraction will be built. I will readily eat my words if I'm proven wrong, but my gut feeling is that instead of drawing upon the truly futuristic ideas presented in Iron Man, the attraction will veer in the opposite direction, showcasing only the character and his adventures and skimping on the portrayal of how technology has advanced and what this progression of technoloy can be used for.

• -

I really hope Black Sabbath does the soundtrack.

I would call those "Lovable Lushes".......

So is Tony Stark.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• "I don't like the color"

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I doubt that I would ever be madly in love with the addition of Iron Man in Tomorrowland, but if it emphasized the progression of technology and highlighted the futuristic ideas that can be found in the franchise, it could be better suited to Tomorrowland than I originally thought. However, I somehow doubt that such an attraction will be built. I will readily eat my words if I'm proven wrong, but my gut feeling is that instead of drawing upon the truly futuristic ideas presented in Iron Man, the attraction will veer in the opposite direction, showcasing only the character and his adventures and skimping on the portrayal of how technology has advanced and what this progression of technoloy can be used for.
    Bingo. I have serious doubts Disney is thinking along the lines of a Stark Expo especially if, as Al says, it is going to be an "E" Ticket. The folks clamoring for this Iron Man attraction better get ready for another simulator type attraction and not something that highlights futuristic technology and that will fit in with Tomorrowland as well as BLAB and FNSV.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post

Is Ironman portrayed in the future? No. Could it portray a futuristic ideal? Yes. The ideas of technology making the world a better place are the same concepts that led Tony Stark to develop Ironman in the movies/ comics.
    This.

My money is on a tie in where Tomorrow Land and/or Disneyland is powered by the Stark Reactor.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by mondo View Post
    A bit off topic but what ticket rating did Disney give DL Innoventions when it first opened?
    Disney doesn't do this, unless a ride existed back in the ticket book era.

Today the only people who apply ticket ratings to rides are Micechatters and other Disney fanboys. Instead of ranking a ride on a scale of 1-10 they rank it on a scale of A-E, using the old ticket books as a reference point of what should and should not be an E ticket.

On occasion you will hear Disney referring to a ride as an "E ticket". But most of the time this is a marketing ploy to hype up a ride. IIRC they even referred the Silly Symphony Swings as an "E ticket" experience when they were promoting it. In reality it would have probably taken a B or C ticket to ride it back in the day, but Disney called it an "E ticket" mainly to hype it to the Disney fanboys who would intuitively understand what that actually meant.

So to answer your question Disney didn't give a ticket ranking to Innoventions. America Sings, the attraction that preceded it, changed back and forth from a D ticket to an E ticket. But Innoventions never received a ticket rating because Disney doesn't do it for their attractions built after the ticket books went away.

• I'm a Lutheran

Innoventions probably would have been a free exhibit, if not just an A-Ticket. Looking at old 1955 ticket books show that the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea exhibit required an A-Ticket. So Innoventions would probably do likewise.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    You miss the point. Nobody's claiming that people don't currently flock to branded theme park rides. The point is that by continuing to copycat Universal, Disney erodes the once-major difference between the Disneyland theme park brand and the Universal Studios theme park brand, and thus gives marketing leverage to Universal.
    I tend to look at it not as Disney playing copycat to Universal, but that Universal has caught up to, and in many ways surpassed Disney. Disney has only itself to blame for this but it's good for the rest of us.

If you can have Star Wars in TL why can't you have Marvel? Better yet, give TL a true makeover so it actually looks like a "land of tomorrow". Presently, experiencing TL makes me happy but looking at TL makes me sad.

Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast