Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast

Re: Al Report: Iron Man E-Ticket Thril Ride to Replace Innoventions

people who think that iron man doesn't fit tomorrowland and that walt wouldn't approve do not remember at all what tomorrowland was during walt's lifetime. tomorrowland has NEVER had a very strong vision/theme and has always been a weird hodgepodge of rides.

monsanto house of the future (corporate showcase nothing more), matterhorn (yeah it was orig part of tomorrowland), 20k leagues under the sea (subs were future stuff back in the 1800s when vernes wrote the book, not in 1960), tomorrowland boats (wuh?), and autotopia (which VERY quickly became not-tomorrow stuff after the interstate act in 56)...

• Non-Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    This is a GREAT point. In fact, if you look at all of the movie-related attractions based on a Disney movie, they were ALL non-original origin stories. Remember, the first "Disney" animated film that was a 100% complete original story was Lion King.

In all reality, the Pixar rides are really the only movie-related rides that Disney has always had a direct relationship with (first as distributor of Pixar movies and now as owner).
    I had a HUGE post about this entire point on one of the last lengthy threads regarding Walt and adapting literature into not just his theme parks but his movies as well.

I'll see if I could find it
    Last edited by christianAdam; 10-16-2012 at 01:34 PM.
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• Mouse Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by Spence View Post
    Sigh, another movie attraction addition to Disneyland. The fact that it's Marvel makes it worse?

Am I the only one here who is against this?
    Nope. I'm all aboard on this train. Just another reason to avoid Tomorrowland (except Space Mountain and Star Tours)

• "What is thy bidding?"

Quote Originally Posted by thomaslw View Post
    people who think that iron man doesn't fit tomorrowland and that walt wouldn't approve do not remember at all what tomorrowland was during walt's lifetime. tomorrowland has NEVER had a very strong vision/theme and has always been a weird hodgepodge of rides.

monsanto house of the future (corporate showcase nothing more), matterhorn (yeah it was orig part of tomorrowland), 20k leagues under the sea (subs were future stuff back in the 1800s when vernes wrote the book, not in 1960), tomorrowland boats (wuh?), and autotopia (which VERY quickly became not-tomorrow stuff after the interstate act in 56)...
    And lets not forget Mission to Mars (clunky and stale after a few trips), Adventure thru inner space. (ooh the creepy eye at the end) and America Sings.(how was that related to a vision of Tomorrow? definetly hodgepodge but I enjoyed it as a kid.)

Depending on the ride system and immersive story line, Iron Man could have a surprising appeal.

• film975

Let me get this straight. A Space Ranger doesn't fit with the Tomorrowland theme?! Where's the logic in that? Anyway, the days of Disney doing something original are long gone. It's not that they can't do something original. It's just the way the company is right now unfortunately. I would like to see them tie the Stark Expo and/or Iron Man attraction into the Avengers somehow. I like that idea better because it will have several Marvel characters in it and not just one.

• Non-Minion

found it...

Those stories you speak of that Walt brought into the Disney universe are VERY and I mean VERY dark and grim. Walt had to severly censor the stories themselves or there would be no way he could get them out into the public (which in turn made Walt a VERY contraversal person to a lot of the european community who felt as though he defiled and ruined THEIR books.) Let's take a look at the stories that he has told.

101 dalmations - not Walt's idea, it was adapted from a book
    Pinocchio - not Walt's idea either, again adapted from a book
    Snow Walt - Grimms Fairy Tails
    Cinderella - Grimms Fairy Tails
    Mary Poppins - Adapted from literature
    Mr Toad - Also adapted from Literature
    Peter Pan - Yet again not Walt's story
    Jungle Book - Adapted from literature

Do you see what I'm getting at here? He took a story and turned it into something of his own. Yes he was a story teller but a lot of the stories he told were taken from literature and edited.

I know it has already been brought up but you HAVE to look at Indiana Jones and Star Wars (two of my all time favorite trilogies). There is violence, bloodshed, arms severed, very dark plots and graphic scenes of death and dead bodies. There is fighting and shooting and killing. but YET two rides sit at the parks and are considered "must ride" attractions.

So if Disney, Walt included, has been known to take stories from literature and we have known Disney to edit them for the mass population, and we have also known Disney to take on adapting films that depict graphic material and tones...What is so different about adapting stories from the Marvel universe? is it NOT the same concept? (and yes I WILL consider comics or graphic novels literature)

IF DONE RIGHT there could be a very seamless intergration of Marvel and Disney into the DLR. Would it be great to have its own park? of course but we all know that is VERY far off from ever happening. So why not a ride or two? what is so different than adapting those european stories and turning them into rides and attractions and adapting modern stories and turning THOSE into rides and attractions? I think the basis of a lot of the arguments on here STILL do not hold water to me. Do some research and look into the movies and rides Walt created, read articles about the reaction from the European culture when he made some of those movies we celebrate here in America. He took a chance and it worked...and because these stories and comics today aren't considered literature Disney should not even consider the idea of adapting THOSE stories and making something amazing for our future generations to enjoy and love?

I just dont get it
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• Disneymom

I really don't like the idea of a Marvel ride in Disneyland. Maybe in DCA but to me DL is about MAGIC not thrill. Yes, there are thrill rides but not like at Universal or Six Flags. They are more themed at DL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spence View Post
    Sigh, another movie attraction addition to Disneyland. The fact that it's Marvel makes it worse?

Am I the only one here who is against this?

• The doctor is in

What original story would you guys put in Disneyland? Like, what exactly do you want to see?

Everyone is all freaked about about yet another movie franchise coming into the park but few people complaining have suggestions on what to put there instead.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Hot FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by lou_mom View Post
    I really don't like the idea of a Marvel ride in Disneyland. Maybe in DCA but to me DL is about MAGIC not thrill. Yes, there are thrill rides but not like at Universal or Six Flags. They are more themed at DL.
    I don't see magic existing in Tomorrowland. a land about technology and the exciting future of what's going to come. since people want something original, what SHOULD tomorrowland have? we already have lots about space...what else would work? personally, I'd like a time travel attraction.

...As I see it

• Minion

Why are people complaining? Innoventions is finally leaving.!!!!

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Why are people complaining? Innvoentions is finally leaving.!!!!
    Finally, someone who thinks like I do.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Minion

Iron Man, specifically Stark Expo fits Tomorrowland perfectly, IMO. If you've seen Iron Man 2, you'll know what I'm talking about. Firstly, Stark Expo is futuristic in itself. Secondly, the scene with Tony Stark's dad just screamed Walt Disney and Tomorrowland to me, when I first saw it! John Slattery even resembled Walt Disney and looked just like him in that scene, and I bet the film makers did that on purpose. The model that was presented in the movie by Tony Stark's dad almost looked like Disneyland. The similarities between that scene and Walt Disney/Tomorrowland were undeniable. I even think the original Carousel of Progress building was in that model in the movie. If no one's seen Iron Man 2, watch it sometime and you'll understand what I mean.

In regards to original material in the parks, Walt Disney became successful by taking work that was already created, and making it his own. The majority of the movies Walt Disney made are adaptations. Even Disney today is doing the same. The Princess and the Frog and Rapunzel are old fairytale stories that Disney adapted. I see nothing wrong with using outside sources for the parks, especially since that's pretty much how the Disney Company came to be. Lest we forget Indy and Star Tours, two of the most popular rides in the entire park?
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    Everyone is all freaked about about yet another movie franchise coming into the park but few people complaining have suggestions on what to put there instead.
    There have been dozens of threads in the last five years that have laid out detailed ideas for a new Tomorrowland. Ideas that would require Disney to return to its roots of creative innovation instead of just copying Universal's "Ride the Movies" model, as Disney has been doing for the last 20 years.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Minion

Stark Industries is about the future it fits quite nicely. People who can't see this are pretty closed minded IMO. They can put a spin on it that has been outlined countless times on these forums that make it not about just his weapons.

Also how can anyone go on Star Tours and be mad about a movie tie in coming in. And as far as the whole I don't want a thrill ride because that's more six flags I hate to break it to you all but Space Mountain is a thrill ride and Star Tours. I understand a purists argument against it but some of these other points are a bit humorous. There is no difference in Star Wars universe being in the parks and Marvel.....

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't get all the hate.

For the longest time people have complained about the need for Innoventions to go. Now that the time has come, the majority of people on this thread are complaining. I'm assuming that it's solely based on the fact that it is a Marvel branded attraction. Either way, I still don't get it. We are FINALLY getting what we have asked for: a new E-Ticket in Tomorrowland. And it's replacing an attraction that most people don't care for. What is there to complain about?
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast