Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: In this case I hope Al is wrong about Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I think this is one where the writing has been on the wall and it's absolutely going to happen.

People complained and complained when they did this to the Halloween parties and that people wouldn't go. And all of those are sold out essentially giving Disney double admission for the day.
    Well....I don't go to them...I really cant.....I'm cool with other Halloween Events...like Universal and Knotts, and even Six Flags because they put REAL effort into making them events

They have mazes and shows that are new EVERY year, not just some Firework show you can view on Youtube....

It's really unfair how some people choose to spend there money and it effects me in the end

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I think this is one where the writing has been on the wall and it's absolutely going to happen.

People complained and complained when they did this to the Halloween parties and that people wouldn't go. And all of those are sold out essentially giving Disney double admission for the day.
    Exactly right. As long as customers continue to vote YES!! with their wallets when Disney upcharges, Disney will continue upcharging holidays, shows, "special" days, perks, tiers, service levels, having your name stitched on your mouse ears, extra squirts of fudge on your ice cream, and anything else they can think of.

Oh, and while they're raking in money by overselling so many tickets to upcharged events that Disneyland looks like a mosh pit of sardines, they're making extra profits by deliberately understaffing the events.

Quote Originally Posted by TTN View Post
    This is just cheap and greedy.
    Yep. And absolutely nothing is going to stop Disney from doing more of the same. Unless, that is, significant numbers of customers vote NO in the only way Disney understands: with their wallets.

Meanwhile, every customer who spends money on upcharges is telling Disney "Yes! Give us more of the same!"
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Well....I don't go to them...I really cant.....I'm cool with other Halloween Events...like Universal and Knotts, and even Six Flags because they put REAL effort into making them events

They have mazes and shows that are new EVERY year, not just some Firework show you can view on Youtube....

It's really unfair how some people choose to spend there money and it effects me in the end
    No question. We've done MNSSHP in FL twice because we were on Vacation. I can't imagine paying extra for fireworks as a Disneyland semi-local when there are so many other (better) choices for Halloween events here.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAP View Post
    Meanwhile, every customer who spends money on upcharges is telling Disney "Yes! Give us more of the same!"
    And for every person who says "I will not be renewing this year" (myself included) there is a family of 4 renewing their passes with monthly payments.

It doesn't matter what Disney does, the parks will still remain full and people will still put down their green and/or credit cards to pay for it.

It's such a wierd phenomenon to me.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    And for every person who says "I will not be renewing this year" (myself included) there is a family of 4 renewing their passes with monthly payments.

It doesn't matter what Disney does, the parks will still remain full and people will still put down their green and/or credit cards to pay for it.

Agreed. If people don't like it, it's time to put your $$ where your mouth is. It actually DOES work.

Prime example, Knott's Berry Farm. I was a loyal visitor to Knott's for a LOT of years. Had Annual Passes for a lot of years, probably close to a decade. After Silver Bullet I was very disillusioned with the park, with the direction they were going. Then you come to 2011, a new park manager comes in, rededicates himself and the park in a positive direction. Re-furbs much of Ghost Town, etc. Now I'm proud to have my Knott's pass again, and we are getting Knott's passes again next year while letting our Disney ones lapse.

Will we go to Knott's as much as we used to go to Disney, nope. But we've only been to Disney 4 times this year anyway and probably won't be back until January at this point. Even at 4-5 visits per year, a Knott's pass is more than worth it.

One could also apply the same rationale to Six Flags over the years 2006-2009. Same thing applies. I've had a Six Flags season pass since the mid-80's except for those 3 years, until they started making positive improvements.

Actually what is very interesting is we did Christmas Eve at Knott's with less crowds. They turn the log ride into Elf Mountain (had multiple rides on it). Santa has his own building and hardly a line at all. The dinner put on at the hotel Amber Waves we actually had the whole resteraunt to ourselves at the beginning and even had me on one time with Snoppy dressed in holiday gear. I think this is our new tradition. Knott's during the holidays can be as much fun if NOT more than Disneyland. Universal has Grinchmas and even if it is crowded with a season pass it is still worth a visit.

Halloween hands down Knotts and Universal put on much better events (combo ticket for Haunt and the dinner was LESS than a ticket to MNSSHP) so gee...would I want to spend my money on an overcrowded park with lines everywhere and not enjoy myself or a park that I can have a great dinner with monsters, early entry into the park, couple of haunt rides,mazes, monsters, shows etc? Disney will definitely be loosing my money after is summer when our passes expire. There are more parks with a lot more for the vaue of season passes. Actually I visit Universal almost monthly as much as I visit Disneyland because it is closer, easier to get to, more enjoyable. With the addition of Despicable Me and Harry Potter I'm sold. Sorry it after the new Cars Land it was fun the first couple of visits but it's so still overcrowded and just not as magical any more.

Also there are incredible other Halloween places like Delusion, Coffin Creek, Fright Fest at Six Flags (oh yea they have definitely raised the bar this year), Reign of Terror, Fright Fair at Pierce College, Knotts, Universal, Sinister Pointe, Empty Grave. I could go on.

I haven't enjoyed Disneyland in quite awhile because it is too crowded period. My visits to Knotts and even Universal have been a way better park going experience because the park isn't filled to capacity and run by rude employees or understaffed either.

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post

no it just means that disneyland is still underpriced and they haven't maxed out potential revenue yet. disney first and foremost is a publicly traded company and relies on theme park $$ for a huge chunk of their overall revenues. at some point the prices WILL be too high and people will retreat, but it's obvious we haven't gotten to that profit-maximizing price point yet, and disney will continue to move closer and closer to that magical (for the shareholders) mark so expect more price increases. the fact that it is too crowded reveals that they haven't quite optimized the supply curve with respect to the demand curve.

btw disney parks have never been about "good value"; if you want good value buy a year pass to magic mtn or seaworld for 70 bucks. it's always been about expensive VERY expensive parks but in return very high quality. as long as the high quality part holds up, then i'm not that upset about the price increases.

• One More Day

I can deal with the price increases but now this is too much for me. Between a separate party for the holiday, the candlelight mess, marvel in the park, and pricing most of the people I go with out. I am gonna have to say goodbye after this year also.

The powers that be have taken all the magic out and Iger has now killed Disney

• Knight that says Nee!!

If it does end up being true, looks like the spirit of Christmas past (Eisner) is alive and well at TDA.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by madmonkeygirl View Post
    I haven't enjoyed Disneyland in quite awhile because it is too crowded period. My visits to Knotts and even Universal have been a way better park going experience because the park isn't filled to capacity and run by rude employees or understaffed either.
    Agreed on all points, this too. I actually didn't really want to renew our DL passes when they came up for renewal in May, only reason we did was because we could get them at the old price. Because of a few extenuating circumstances it turns out we would have been better off not renewing. We've probably spent a TOTAL of 12 hours in the parks as a family since May. Just not worth it for $2000 per year, even with payments.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    If it does end up being true, looks like the spirit of Christmas past (Eisner) is alive and well at TDA.
    Here's the thing, I know Eisner get's a LOT of grief, but all of the holiday overlays and what's turned it into such a huge event actually began under his watch. Not going to say he was directly involved because who knows, but he was the head honcho at the time all this started.

• Minion

No more passes for us family of 4 even convinced my aunt and her family of 4 not to get passes so 8 passes not renewing here. Going to enjoy this Christmas season before the year 2013 when the park goes down hill I love Disney with a passion but this is ridiculous I'm done. Can't stand the current management team

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

Wow Gregg. Ya Matt and I ONLY renewed at the new price because our passes weren't up for renewal until August. so this is the last year we will probably have a pass. We have used our passes twice now and probably November or December before going back. It's just NOT worth the money and I'm finding that with each visit to the parks Disney is leaving a very bad tastein my mouth. Gone is the MAGIC that used to be there. I will be content next year to plan one maybe two trips period. It has almost become a chore to plan to go and finding the parks crammed with tons of people just makes it less fun and magical having lines everywhere.

Other parks offer a MUCH greater value. Heck I have the Premium Star pass for Universal Studios and it is so affordable and worth it. Free parking during box office hours, Gate A for the Studio Tour (only ride really needed since there are single rider lines on Jurrasic Park, Mummy, and even Transformers). The park is super clean (except during Horror Nights). The same goes for yes even Six Flags Magic Mountain and Knott's as well. Like I said we have found our Christmas Eve tradition and it is NOT at Disneyland anymore. This will be our last NYE at the parks. Next year we may do our tradition of our first date (nice dinner and a movie). Knotts at Christmas is what Disneyland used to be like. I felt like a kid. Between riding Elf Mountain and almost sitting on Santas lap was way better than the same version of Small World Holiday and Mansion.

Halloween is our favorite time of the year so we go to many Halloween things as we can fit in. So maybe because we won't have Disney passes we can fit in more ANSI have a favorite band who will be touring coming up so the money I'd spend on Disney will be put to better use.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    the cool thing is that the special ticketed events cost a lot less than a normal ticket . . .
    it's better to pay $54-$69 (Halloween Party) cus it's cheaper than...$87 (1 normal tix)
    . . .

We took two years off from having APs. Our one visit during that hiatus was during a halloween party. I thought it was reasonably priced and had high-quality candy & surprisingly fresh and delicious bagged apple slices as treats. And I thought it was classy (almost Universal* classy) of Disney to include parking in the admission.

* My Universal compliment was inspired by the giving out free hot chocolate in the rain, passing out free bags of pretzels while Transformers was briefly down while we waited in line, and having a couple of information booths in their parks. It doesn't take much.

• Production Designer

I know I'm the minority here... but I strongly believe this is a GOOD thing. I haven't gone to Disney during the holidays in years simply because I cannot stand the chaos of crowds. It's just too much to really enjoy what Disney has to offer. I'm hoping this will thin the crowds and make the parks more enjoyable.

Except that it probably won't thin the crowds at all. The party will be very popular and very crowded and those that can't afford it will just be visiting the park in an increasingly smaller window of days, thus making it more busy on the "off" days...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast