Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

YESTERLAND: The Theme Park

Disney giveth, and Disney taketh away...

For this next park design, I thought it would be a fun exercise to create a Yesterland Park, comprised only of extinct attractions. Missed by many (and often wished to return from the dead), these lost rides, shows, shops & eateries now have a permanent place to reside posthumously... on IdealBuildout.

I set a few guidelines for this exercise:
    Guideline I: Attractions included may be globally extinct (Nature’s Wonderland), locally extinct (Carousel of Progress) or not-really-extinct-but-significantly-altered (Sinbad’s Seven Voyages)
    Guideline II: The layout & scale of the attraction should be same/similar.
    Guideline III: The exteriors will often be altered/improved to fit the new, highly-themed wider environment.

The aim is to make this a fresh new park but with the DNA made up only of Lost Disney, drawn from all the properties worldwide... a Frankenstein park in time for Halloween:

MAIN STREET USA

Right off the bat, I think I stretched rule one, because I wanted the quintessential park-encircling RR, but was unsure if any had gone extinct. Maybe the engines/passenger cars themselves have been retired). Maybe a DL expert can chime in. I also added the recently-deceased Carnation Plaza Gardens from DL. From MK, come many features that once made that park a crown jewel: One-of-kind retail like Liberty Square’s Old World Antiques and the House of Magic; small-scale attractions like Main Street Cinema, Swan Boats and the Penny Arcade; and the greenery of the Flower Market and the shade-tree-filled Central Plaza.

ADVENTURELAND

Working clockwise, Adventureland begins with an Arabian sub-area. This draws from Paris’ original Bazaar – a very artfully-executed indoor retail environment which was converted into a restaurant. DL’s Aladdin’s Oasis dinner theater gets a new, dedicated showspace. The anchor attraction is Sinbad’s Seven Voyages, which was darker and edgier than the kid-friendly, musical Storybook version that TDS installed circa 2006. Also in this Arabian section is the small date palm orchard which recently gave way to Carpets at TDS.

The northern stretch of Adventureland would feature the typical array of eclectic, exotic buildings, housing Pleasure Island’s extinct Adventures Club and lost retail. In the center of the land is a version of WDW’s Treasure Island (a pirate-themed hideout), which became Discovery Island (a small zoo) and then closed. On the island would rest DL’s converted Swiss Family Treehouse. Around the island would motor Animal Kingdom’s shuttered Safari (Discovery) Riverboats, passing sites such as a fire-spewing dragon cave, African geysers and the AA iguanodon.

The southwestern sub-area represents East African savanna environment with a new Pride Rock exterior housing the MK’s lost Legend of the Lion King puppet musical, while the far western section represents West African rainforest environment for the lost Tarzan show presented at DLP (and similar version at DAK).

FRONTIERLAND

One enters the land from the hub moving down the thoroughfare of a Frontier boomtown. Here are lost, authentic shops and a music hall featuring the old Vaudeville show removed from Magic Kingdom. Keelboats (ex. DL, MK) & Canoes (ex. DLP, MK) make their way around DL’s non-PotC Tom Sawyer Island, featuring Fort Wilderness and the burning Settler’s Cabin. Also on the island is the shuttered Aunt Polly’s Dockside Inn (MK) for light meals. Small lost features like the Dixieland Bandstand and Woodcarvers Hut return here. An experience that would be unique in today’s theme park environment is the return of the Rainbow Ridge Pack Mules, which shares real estate with the land’s anchor ride: Mine Train Thru Nature’s Wonderland. A sub-area, DL’s Bear Country (pre-Critter/Pooh) makes a return here, as well.

FANTASYLAND

The castle is based on Tokyo’s because it houses the lost Castle Mystery Tour walkthrough. Interesting & sadly, the two FL darkrides that have been killed off were among the best of this category (ride-wise): the MK’s larger, dueling version of Mr. Toad and the original, child-traumatizing version of Snow White’s Scary Adventures (before its wings were clipped and it was two minutes of a witch popping out of the darkness). DHS’s Hunchback – A Musical Adventure gets a dedicated, themed theater. In the center of the land is the lagoon housing the Chicken of the Sea (Hook’s Ship) and Skull Rock from DL. Also built around the lagoon are DL’s Triton’s Garden and MK’s Playful Spot.

TOONTOWN FAIR

An improved version of the MK’s late TTF makes an appearance in this park, with a more rural western half housing a petting zoo, the Barnstormer and Donald’s Boat. The eastern half is a small town Main Street housing a theater (MickeyMouseRevue, ex. MK, Tokyo), train station, and some character houses.

TOMORROWLAND

I considered including the extinct Alien Encounter & Star Tours v.1, but most of the lost Tomorrow-based attractions are science fact-based, not SciFi, so the land takes that real-world, near-future direction. The land’s entrance is marked by the Magic Kingdom’s waterfall pylons and the architecture is Saarinen/EPCOT-style. Three huge, dearly-missed (by me) pavilions from EPCOT form a ring around the Starjets pedestal. DL’s Carousel of Progress, MK’s If You Had Wings & EPCOT’s BodyWars get new showbuildings. The DL Peoplemover makes for a familiar sight, and, appropriately, shares some show-space with World of Motion.

DISCOVERYLAND
    This final land is built in a retro-future, Neo-Victorian style (riveted iron, glass, polished stone) and houses extinct attractions that fit in this environment. The original, pre-Mission 2 Space Mountain: de la Terre a la Lune, with its emphasis on the Verne story is the land’s landmark & anchor. Also from Paris is the Visionarium. A natural Verne-ian neighbor is MK’s 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, elaborate sub ride. I recall reading that Dreamfinder evolved from Discovery Bay’s Professor Marvel, so EPCOT’s Journey into Imagination finds a home here (with a new exterior, perhaps 1900 wrought iron glass pyramids). Lastly, I added Adventures Thru Inner Space, which seemingly modern in the 1970s seems ripe to be converted into a Neo-Victorian styling.

There it is… hope you enjoyed this trip down memory lane via my illustrative plan. The new park is light on big thrill E-tickets, which rarely go extinct, but heavy on slower-moving, longer, atmospheric, AA-based rides (Nature’s Wonderland, Horizons, etc.) - quite telling of the evolution of the Tier I theme park. Does assembling a nostalgia park out of lost rides create something on par with what the current approach?

• Quintessential Studmuffin

in So Cal but my mind is in disneyland!!!

Re: YESTERLAND: The Theme Park

Great job Macho Man (I couldn't help myself!), this park is an Disneyland purist's wetdream!

• Parking Lot > DCA

Nice!

Any way we can sqeeze the Phantom Boats in there? (I didn't see them)

I'd definitely spend some time in your park. Great post!

• "I don't like the color"

Why aren't you working for Imagineering???
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Team Hail HYDRA

You read my mind

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

Just awesome!!

Viewliner maybe? Chicken plantation?

• formerly very helpful

If only...

Thanks for the comments. Regarding some suggested rides above. Moonliner seems like it would fit the retro Discoveryland aesthetic very well... wish I had included that. Same for Chicken Plantation in Frontierland. I did consider the Motor Boat Cruise, but it didn't make the final cut - never realized a separate Phantom Boats existed until brought up here.

well all we gotta do is make the blueprints, and then a bunch of us will run off together and build this Disneyland!!!
    Jack Sparrow - "You have been monstrously deceived." Pirate - We are decepted then..." Jack Sparrow - "Yes"

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    Thanks for the comments. Regarding some suggested rides above. Moonliner seems like it would fit the retro Discoveryland aesthetic very well... wish I had included that. Same for Chicken Plantation in Frontierland. I did consider the Motor Boat Cruise, but it didn't make the final cut - never realized a separate Phantom Boats existed until brought up here.
    They were only around for a year (1955-1956) so they aren't super hard to overlook. Aesthetically they looked awesome, mechanically they were awful. I don't think these would make your cut either. However, I could see Adam West as Batman in one of these things!

Name:  KTPBK_1955_N19R_zps4329c0f6.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  71.2 KB

Here is a short description from Davelandweb.com

On July 20, 1955, Disneyland debuted the Tomorrowland Boats in the lagoon that would eventually be home to the Submarines. This attraction was a snoozer; only 542 guests rode them at opening. Compared to the other unique and fun attractions, the slow-moving and unexceptional Boats just couldn’t compete. On August 16, 1955, they were rechristened The Phantom Boats and redesigned with tailfins that were apparently a mechanical nightmare. They quickly got a bad reputation for stranding guests in the lagoon.

There were a total of 14 gas-powered fiberglass marvels painted in bright colors, designed by Bruce Bushman. Poor mechanical design caused the motors to constantly overheat; every night the boats had to be rescued and repaired. “Pilots” for the boats were added to help the situation, but despite all their efforts, the Phantom Boats received the dubious distinction of being the first permanent Disneyland attraction to be closed. By the end of 1955, they were taken out of commission. There was a brief attempt to change the attraction to a Florida Everglades type “Airboat” (guests could even see signage proclaiming their June 2, 1956 opening). The new boat was built and even tested, but ultimately vetoed, so as a last resort, the Phantom Boats came back for one more chug around the lagoon in the summer of 1956.

• Minion

Very nice! Original Imagination definitely has the right aesthetic for Discoveryland looking at the Dreamcatcher and the Dreamport.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Jedi Knight

I'd probably be at this park more so than DCA, that's for sure.

• Under that tree again!

No disrespect meant to the OP, who created a park that is often claimed to be a great idea.

Looking at the list of attractions, makes it look like by far the least appealing Disney Park. No wonder they are all in Yesterland.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    No disrespect meant to the OP, who created a park that is often claimed to be a great idea.

Looking at the list of attractions, makes it look like by far the least appealing Disney Park. No wonder they are all in Yesterland.
    Unappealing how?
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast