Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

• Super saucy pixie!

Re: Park Blogs noting that Disney is kicking off 2013 as the year of "Limited Time Ma

I agree with everyone's displeasure over the name. It turned me off immediately. Why not something more like Weeks of Wonder/ment or something a little more intriguing than the sound of making magic just another LE Disney thing.

• formerly very helpful

Re: Park Blogs noting that Disney is kicking off 2013 as the year of "Limited Time Ma

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWally'sNiece View Post
    I'm so with you on this one. I'm just hoping I won't be disappointed in Pecos Bill. No one can fill Wally's shoes.
    Although Wally Boag was a comedy marvel, he hadn't been with the show for a number of years before it closed permanantly. Mind you, I do realize that there was at least one other version of the show which was different from the original, yet still featured can-can dancers, dancing cowboys, comedy. Although I never saw the original, I very much liked this other version. (sometime around the mid-late 80s.
    Point being, it can still be an excellent show with a different actor.

• Of Two Minds, or More

I respectfully disagree, but I am biased. ;-)

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWally'sNiece View Post
    I respectfully disagree, but I am biased. ;-)
    I'd call it more "realistic" than biased. Having seen the Golden Horseshoe Revue countless times from the 50s until it closed, I can vouch that there simply is no one who matched Wally Boag in that role. It's no criticism of his successors to say that his comedic timing was beyond perfect, performance after performance. His sense of playing to, for and with an audience was something nobody could touch. The film records of his performances in the Revue don't capture what it was like to be in that room when he was on stage. The way he'd make us laugh until we couldn't breathe had to be experienced to be believed.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MTdizzle94 View Post
    I think the Dapper Dans thing could be cute if it's not over-publicized.
    And if Disney ever has to make sure it doesn't over-publicize something to make it palatable, then you know it wasn't right to begin with.

Who knows how this thing will play out, but when I saw the title all I could focus in on were the words "limited" and "magic."

Now I know I'm cherry-picking words here, but Disney for me does not equal limited magic. And I don't want my magic to come in "limited time" doses either.

Very odd phrasing in my opinion.

And to be honest, when I saw the Dapper Dans thing, all I could think was, 'Wow....Disneyland has finally turned the corner....and not in a good way, IMO.'

I had already thought the relaxing of certain standards to "keep up with the times," or whatever, was the wrong direction to go. It seems to be continuing though.

I grew up at Disneyland through the 60s and 70s and worked there as a CM through the 80s and early 90s. It has always been a very special place to me. In fact, so much so that I've even hung on with renewing my AP, in spite of the marked changes I've seen...and the impersonality I've been starting to feel while there too.

And like others have noted, I'm not sure I will renew next year either. Which for someone like me is sad.

I will admit that some of the ideas sound provocative and good, but I still find my feelings for the place changing a bit. I've been fighting it, focusing on what's still great about the place, and I can't deny that I do feel that sense of magic still. It's a place that still makes me feel good, even despite the gazillion people who are there 365 days a year. Of which I am one, as well.

The interesting thing though is that the things I still find most magical about the place still are those places of the park that are largely unchanged. And it's those moments when I find myself envisioning what it used to be like, rather than what it has become (in certain areas), when I feel that sense of magic and connection the strongest.

Some might call it nostalgia or golden age thinking.

I don't see it that way though. I just see it as being a true connection to something that really worked.

And it's obvious that it did, because many people on this board still talk about the Disneyland that used to be. And that fondness doesn't just come from a sense of nostalgia. It comes from the recognition of something that was truly great!

If I don't renew, will I miss it?

Yes. But I think what I'll be missing is what it used to be and what I know it has the capability of being. I won't necessarily be missing what it is though.

• Senior Minion

^ Well said. Your post made me realize that "Limited Time Magic" isn't hitting people wrong just because of the word choice, but because of the context of the words -- that context being years of cheesy marketeering from Staggs, Rasulo & Co. and the management hierarchy they've hired. With year after year of the in-your-face hype that has become Disney's M.O., even the most diehard fans will eventually be turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    ...I think what I'll be missing is what it used to be and what I know it has the capability of being. I won't necessarily be missing what it is though.
    Bingo.

- Neil Gabler

• We set sail for the sky

In other words, hurry up and get this particular magic before we seal it back in the Disney Vault!

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
    I agree with everyone's displeasure over the name. It turned me off immediately. Why not something more like Weeks of Wonder/ment or something a little more intriguing than the sound of making magic just another LE Disney thing.
    Your "Weeks of Wonder" is the best alternative I've heard yet,
    but this name issue might be like zombie: dead, ugly and unstoppable. So maybe we should focus instead on things we'd like to see this year. (Circlevision film fest for me!)

Nope. One more time: LIMITED TIME MAGIC
    WARNING: I might be complaining about that stupid, awful name till 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    . . . Having seen the Golden Horseshoe Revue countless times from the 50s until it closed, I can vouch that there simply is no one who matched Wally Boag in that role. It's no criticism of his successors to say that his comedic timing was beyond perfect, performance after performance. His sense of playing to, for and with an audience was something nobody could touch. The film records of his performances in the Revue don't capture what it was like to be in that room when he was on stage. The way he'd make us laugh until we couldn't breathe had to be experienced to be believed.
    Steve Martin agrees with you. He used to study Boag to learn how comedy could be done.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-22-2012 at 10:03 PM.

What good is this except for the SoCals? Anyone who lives out of state isn't going to benefit. I can't see anyone else EXCEPT the SoCals going 52 times a year. Plus, if there was something I might want to see and couldn't (most people just can't take that many vacations in a year) I'd be a little ticked off. People usually plan their vacations ahead of time, and if you have kids, you can't just decide to take them out of school (even though some parents do, I wouldn't, because education is more important), just because you wanted to see something during a particular week. This is by far the STUPIDEST thing Disney has done!! Why didn't they think of something that benefits everyone? And, like others have pointed out, what about the crowds? Some weeks will be packed, while others no one will go, (Dapper Dans, for instance). And how ticked would you be if the week your vacation was planned, THAT was what you got to see??

Quote Originally Posted by Acpisme View Post
    I am also excited for the return of the original Golden Horseshoe review, as I remember the original one. I am excited that my daughter will have a chance to see it.
    No one one said "original." I'm sure they will butcher this show and offer a much abridged version like they've done with the Country Bears.

---------- Post added 10-24-2012 at 04:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    "Limited" sounds like a word chosen by a marketing department to imply "Hurry, come to the park now before we're out!" I'm just beaten down by a world filled with commercials that tell me I need to hurry and take advantage of some "limited time offer" or whatever. I wish them luck with this promotion and it doesn't alter my pre-existing schedule or plans for visiting the park one way or other. Their new promotion is "limited" but common sense and good planning are for a lifetime.
    It's the used car salesman approach...
    "What do we need to do to get you into a new car the Magic Kingdom today?"

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Joannefm2 View Post
    This is by far the STUPIDEST thing Disney has done!!
    They've done stupider things, but this one definitely is in the top 100 of Stupid Disney Management Tricks.

- Neil Gabler

The wordsmiths in the PR/Marketing screwed-up on this year’s campaign? Or did they? Could this be a Freudian slip, foreshadowing what is to become of Disney? Limited Time Magic? Why are they limiting it? Why would you want to limit anything?

Does this mean that the Magic that Walt Disney created in 1955 is limited, and will soon be coming to an end?

Is this an expansion of Disney’s cost cutting measures. Limiting transportation options to guests, Limiting Monorail service times to guests, Limiting services to guests, Limiting Magic to Guests?

---------- Post added 10-24-2012 at 04:58 PM ----------

LIMITED capabilities for Disney IT services/systems
    LIMITED maintenance of existing park attractions
    LIMITED amenities in Deluxe accommodations.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

[QUOTE=PecosBill;1056857019]No one one said "original." I'm sure they will butcher this show and offer a much abridged version like they've done with the Country Bears.

Sometimes you have to find a silver lining even if the outside is a garbage bag. I am particularly happy to see that they will bring this bit of nostalgia back for a bit.
    If they attempt to recreate the show from that show that I grew up with in the 70's and 80's, then I will be glad that my daughter gets to see it. Hopefully it is so popular, it stages a permanent comeback.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Embrace the kitsch!

I have a feeling the GH will be the Jamboree version of the show (which ran in the late 80's/early 90's) not the original version. That one was tailored for specific performers (Wally Boag, Betty Taylor, & Fulton Burley) and was retired because those performers, well, retired. The Jamboree was a more generic "song & dance" show which could be cast and recast as needed.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

the promo is nothing new, theyve done this before with the various "holidays" throughout the year one year. i believe it was this past year, with Dland celebrating Chinese New Year, etc...

but the name is ghastly... how about Moments of Magic?

Limited Time Magic is SOOOOOO stupid, whoever thought of this name should be fired!!!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast