Esplanade, Main Entry Plaza, or Central Lobby

I know I have a problem with obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, but so many people make the following mistake that I do feel the need to clarify. The only name at Disneyland that uses the word, "esplanade", is the East Esplanade where the hotel shuttles and the "Lion King" trams arrive and depart.

The piazza between the two parks is officially known as the Main Entry Plaza, although, since it occupies the central part of the Outer Lobby, I sometimes refer to the expanse as the central Lobby.

The Outer Lobby is everything on Disney property but outside the gates of The Magic Kingdom (parking areas; hotels; Downtown Disney; etc.), and the Inner Lobby is the area near the "Mickey Floral" parterre.

Many thanks.

• Looking for Love

Re: Esplanade, Main Entry Plaza, or Central Lobby

Good to know. Thanks.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Probably not really much an important discussion, but I do see your point. I know it's called the "Entry Plaza" on the Mickey & Friends tram audio spiel, and when I was paying attention the day I heard that I thought to myself "has Al Lutz been calling it the 'esplanade' for no reason all this time? Have I been calling it the 'esplanade' for no reason all this time? Have we all jsut been calling it the 'esplanade' for no reason all this time?" And then the tram stopped, and so did I. Stopped caring, that is.

I guess I'll just continue calling it the Esplanade since it really doesn't matter, plus I've grown accustomed to it, plus "Main Entrance Plaza" is just too much of a mouthful - even more than "Esplanade"... meh. oh well.

What does matter on the other hand, is when people are leading their children over the bridge in New Orleans Square towards Adventureland saying "We're going to ride the Haunted House now!" I would stop them, but well, I just don't have the heart to stop them from not paying attention to the correct name of the attraction or the correct direction that is clearly laid out on the map they have in their hands while they're dodging other guests while their kids try to keep up behind them. I'm just a jerk, I guess.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

I think you could call the Main Entry Plaza the Esplanade. Dictionary.com defines an esplanade as a
    A flat open stretch of pavement or grass, especially one designed as a promenade along a shore.
    I think the Main Entry Plaza fits that description.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    The only name at Disneyland that uses the word, "esplanade", is the East Esplanade where the hotel shuttles and the "Lion King" trams arrive and depart.

The piazza between the two parks is officially known as the Main Entry Plaza, although, since it occupies the central part of the Outer Lobby, I sometimes refer to the expanse as the central Lobby.
    it seems kind of stupid to name something the "East Esplanade" if there was never an "Esplanade" now doesn't it? wouldn't it just be the esplanade then? Disney can call it the Main Entry Plaza if they want to now, but it is known as the esplanade to many Disney fans.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Having a Grand Day!

It was meant to be Esplanade, but at the last moment Disney deemed it a too difficult name for the Average American to comprehend, so it got changed to the simpler "Main Entry Plaza". Esplanade is a better and easier name, so we use it.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane
    It was meant to be Esplanade, but at the last moment Disney deemed it a too difficult name for the Average American to comprehend, so it got changed to the simpler "Main Entry Plaza".
    With the final removal of the "Double Decker Bus" route, the signs magically changed from Esplanade to Main Entry Plaza.
    Last edited by Monorail Man; 01-10-2006 at 02:58 AM.
    -Monorail Man

• Hooterville, USA

Whew, for a minute I thought I would have to learn a new phrase! I just now learned to pronounce esplanade. Don't make me have to learn something new. My brain is full and I would have to delete something out.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Thanks for the clarification. I'll put it to good use.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Showing the way to Grizzly Peak...

NOUN:Inflected forms: pl. pi·az·zas
    1. Inflected forms: pl. pi·az·ze (p-äts, pyäts)
    (also p-äts, pyätsä) A public square in an Italian town.
    2. A roofed and arcaded passageway; a colonnade.
    3. New England & Southern Atlantic U.S. A verandah.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Rock Star Minion

It was meant to be Esplanade, but at the last moment Disney deemed it a too difficult name for the Average American to comprehend, so it got changed to the simpler "Main Entry Plaza". Esplanade is a better and easier name, so we use it.
    "Comprehend"? What does that mean?

I asked a few cast members, after family members scoffed at my "Let's meet the rest of our party in the Esplanade" comment.
    They all called it the "Main Entry Plaza."
    So I fired them.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• ºoº Tom ºoº

"Ok show me on the doll, where they touched you!"

I don't have photoshop readily available, i have some crappy corel thing at work but please define the area you speak of in visual terms for those of us who didn't pass 3rd grade.

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    it seems kind of stupid to name something the "East Esplanade" if there was never an "Esplanade" now doesn't it? wouldn't it just be the esplanade then? Disney can call it the Main Entry Plaza if they want to now, but it is known as the esplanade to many Disney fans.
    Preach!

It was meant to be Esplanade, but at the last moment Disney deemed it a too difficult name for the Average American to comprehend, so it got changed to the simpler "Main Entry Plaza". Esplanade is a better and easier name, so we use it..
    I guess that makes me, and a few others here, Above-Average Americans .......

This reminds me of something that happened about 20 years ago when they changed the name of the beer bar at Cal Poly Pomona. Everyone I knew insisted on calling it the old name, "Blazing Saddles" or just "the Saddles". For the life of me, I can't recall what the new name was ......
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    "Ok show me on the doll, where they touched you!"

I don't have photoshop readily available, i have some crappy corel thing at work but please define the area you speak of in visual terms for those of us who didn't pass 3rd grade.
    Basically, the area between DL to the north, DCA to the south, DD on the west, and the Lion King tram stop on the East.

You know, The Esplanade!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• done

I can't imagine why anyone would care if I called a particular location the esplanade. If it bugs you, then too bad. I occasionally call Fantasia Gardens the motorboat area. Horrors!

And while I will notice if someone calls a ride by the wrong name, I don't expect everyone to know the exact name of everything. Yeah, it's not the haunted house, but I know what they're referring to.

On the other hand, I do expect that the RT on the tram knows better than to call it the California Adventure Hotel...