Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mischievous Mouse

RFID entrance to the parks coming soon, maybe next year?

According to this link Disneyland Christmas may be extra - Al Lutz -
    Gone would be the same basic turnstile setup the park has had since 1955, and that has been repeated at most Disney parks around the world. In its place, the new technology that ties in directly with the coming NextGen concepts would be installed. The churning, clicking turnstiles all manned by an army of CMs would be ripped out entirely, and instead there would be wide open lanes interspersed with digital RFID readers on short podiums, all staffed with a much smaller CM presence.
    So how will AP's work? Or will they not exsist anmore, maybe one or two "ailse" for them, you need to match the faces up on AP's, can't do it with RFID cards.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• My Children's Father

Re: RFID entrance to the parks coming soon, maybe next year?

I suppose APs could have the RFID technology as well (you get a bracelet to go with the card, or instead of), which the system will recognize.

I'm more curious to see what happens when someone tries to sneak in amongst a crowd of legal entrants ...
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Minion

I wish they wouldn't do this I like having a friendly smile welcome me into the park plus all those peoples jobs being replace with a computer boo on their part.

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

Step into the Magic
    Watch the stories come alive
    Step into the Magic
    Every color shines so bright
    Step into the Magic!!!!

-Disneyland Forever Fireworks

• Mischievous Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    I suppose APs could have the RFID technology as well (you get a bracelet to go with the card, or instead of), which the system will recognize.

I'm more curious to see what happens when someone tries to sneak in amongst a crowd of legal entrants ...
    It would have to be single file?

CM's would monitor.

Similar to self checkout at the grocery, try to steal, you will be nailed!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
    So how will AP's work? Or will they not exsist anmore, maybe one or two "ailse" for them, you need to match the faces up on AP's, can't do it with RFID cards.
    Finger Print scanners.

It would have to be single file?
    One of the test at WDW was a funnel style entrance. Guests scanned thier tickets on the left or right side, a few at a time on each side and then proceed through the narrowing slot between the scanners through and opening. This allowed more tickets scanned at one and you could go right through in an ECV or with a stroller. With an RFID going through the gap could allow you to pass through a scanner that verifies if you ticket/pass was scanned. Something like in stores.

•   
    • Minion

They could do this many ways. Fingerprints would be an obvious choice or a sign in like 24 hour fitness does. Maybe you put your ticket in and then a gate opens up like many mass transits systems in the world

• Parking Lot > DCA

Maybe it's just me but doesn't all that seem like a lot of work? Why can't we just keep it the way it is?

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

A few reasons.

Firstly, it costs a lot to staff the current system. All of those entrance CM's are paid to basically sit there and watch people enter. Reducing the need there will allow wages to be directed elsewhere in the park.

Secondly, it is likely that there is noticeable ticket fraud as far as Disney can tell. I can only assume that the new system somehow reduces or limits the possibility of entering with a ticket someone else has used.

Thirdly and most importantly, if everyone is using RFID, they can track you through the park. I would expect that the system would also show up instead of the current turnstile system at each attraction entrance/exit. They could better monitor GAC's, get better attraction counts, and generally learn more about how people are using the park. Not to mention the rumoured integration with attractions where Ursula or Jack Sparrow will suddenly know it is your name and that today your birthday.

Lastly, it will indeed make the park feel more welcoming. I just want to know how they will go about doing the big grand opening each morning without gates.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^most times I go they let people on Main Street or the Hub and you wait there until 8 AM

If it makes the lines move faster...I am all for this

• Pilot EdForceOne

photo just comes up on a screen.. no need to look at card

I don't read this at all to mean there will be completely open entrance to the park. But simply the idea of much more open paths that no longer require a physical turnstyle.

I don't really see the reduction in CM requirements myself. The CMs are there enlarge to deal with customer problems with their admission media. Changing the media isn't going to eliminate those problems (expired ticket, etc).

If anything, this system stands to make the worst issue (ticket booths) even worse. DL doesn't have reception counters at every hotel distributing ticket media (or now bracelets) like they do at WDW. So many people buy tickets onsite at Disney.. that process just got more complex.. and now you might need to account for all those frequent visitors needing something refreshed or replaced frequently.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Mischievous Mouse

In any case, it will still make us feel more like mice at DLR (smack the bar, get a food pellet)

I guess the mouse in the house will have lots of company

-Walt Disney

How will this work when you buy admission online and print at home. They would still need someone to scan the bar code and slap a wristband on you like they do for special events.

• Long live the Fire Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Thirdly and most importantly, if everyone is using RFID, they can track you through the park. I would expect that the system would also show up instead of the current turnstile system at each attraction entrance/exit. They could better monitor GAC's, get better attraction counts, and generally learn more about how people are using the park.
    This is, like you said, the most important. Think about all the questions the survey peeps ask you. Now they will have the same information for everybody with RFID bracelet of whatever. That's one more job they can phase out, and still get way more information than before
    "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ^most times I go they let people on Main Street or the Hub and you wait there until 8 AM

If it makes the lines move faster...I am all for this
    During the summer a year ago, they held everyone at the turnstiles until 8:00 many days. Only when I went again in the shorter season were we allowed onto Main Street for a rope drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybirdman View Post
    This is, like you said, the most important. Think about all the questions the survey peeps ask you. Now they will have the same information for everybody with RFID bracelet of whatever. That's one more job they can phase out, and still get way more information than before
    There are definitely lots of unseen plusses.

•   
    • Minion

I do hope that when we talk about phasing out jobs, we're also talking about relocating those CMs to other roles--we've talked about how the park is understaffed in a lot of places. I hope we're not talking about letting people go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast