Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Doesn't the monorail spoil the magic?

Not at all for us. In fact, it's kinda nice when you sometimes see CM's backstage (or the parades waiting near IASW to go "on stage") look up and wave at you...

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The Disneyland monorail is cool when it goes by. There's something futuristic about it. I like riding it, but mostly, I like watching it and taking photographs of it. It immediately makes me think of Walt Disney, and instantly reminds me of where I am. Disneyland is a special place, and occupies a big part of my heart. The monorail in many ways symbolizes that.

• Minion

I'll be the dissenter here and say that the first part of the trip does spoil the magic. I remember thinking even as a kid, that the sudden change from Tomorrowland to the gritty "real world" was kind of a shock. Then you had a view of the parking lot, then a boring stop at the hotel. But when you went back into the park the "magic" returned and you were looking at the Autopia, the Motor Boat Cruise, and going around the Matterhorn, getting a brief glimpse of Fantasyland... that brought the wonder and "magic" back.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Doesn't spoil anything and enhances it IMHO. Additionally I enjoy seeing the monorail cruise along Harbor Blvd. It reminds me that there is indeed a possiblity of futuristic mass transit. We have this gawd-awful light rail here in Sacramento, and I am constantly saddened that the Capital city of California chose ugly, expensive, inefficient, and very old technology over a bold, bright, and futuristic option. Talk about a political boondoggle... sigh

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the monorail that was supposed to connect the ARTIC to the DLR has been shelved for a light rail system similar to the one in Sacramento. No fancy monorails -- just a light rail system. Nothing fancy or glamorous.

Anaheim considers adding streetcars near Disneyland | anaheim, city, streetcars - News - The Orange County Register

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    I agree with the first point, but the visibility of Harbor Blvd. is a result of placement and function, another result of which brings back nostalgia for the good old days.

Back in the day, approaching Disneyland from afar, the first thing you'd see of the park was the Matterhorn. No less thrilling was to exit I-5 at Harbor and finding a Monorail traveling overhead. It was the only ride visible from the outside, what Walt would call a wienee (something to draw someone's interest).
    That was so amazing when I was a kid, approaching the resort. And to this day I love it when the monorail goes along Harbor Blvd, even when riding. It's as if I can observe the real, ugly world, but within the safe confines of a monorail car, which is all connected to and within Disneyland.

• Pilot EdForceOne

the leg from harbor over to the front entrance portion is the worst.. there is no backstage magic there.. it looks like your local city alley. The stretch along harbor is neat for 3 seconds to think 'monorail vs car' but the rest of the trip once you leave the TL 'forest' really is droning and anti-climatic. That stretch along the entrance way stands out to me the most.

There really are no majestic scenes at all except in TL.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
    • Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    It doesn't spoil it. It actually adds to it.
    Right there with ya.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the monorail that was supposed to connect the ARTIC to the DLR has been shelved for a light rail system similar to the one in Sacramento. No fancy monorails -- just a light rail system. Nothing fancy or glamorous.
    I am fully aware of this. It is a bad decision there just as it was here. Oh, and I hope you all at least figure out how to make the light rail system work.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I've always enjoyed riding the Monorail. I love seeing the backstage parts where they store the ride vehicles. The much-missed Keelboats were often parked there when under refurb. It was like seeing a sneak-peak of something usually hidden.

When we visited WDW in January, we rode the Monorail just to ride it. We were staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and had only busses to get around. We rode two different loops just so we could say we rode it.

I, too, love seeing it zip along Harbor Blvd. I have yet, after going to the Park for 50 years, to actually take a picture of it. lol

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• World Famous Gold Mickey

Spoil the Magic -
    for me just the opposite it helps create some of the Magic.
    And Gold Mickey Says....
    I want to ride up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Doesn't spoil anything and enhances it IMHO. Additionally I enjoy seeing the monorail cruise along Harbor Blvd. It reminds me that there is indeed a possiblity of futuristic mass transit. We have this gawd-awful light rail here in Sacramento, and I am constantly saddened that the Capital city of California chose ugly, expensive, inefficient, and very old technology over a bold, bright, and futuristic option. Talk about a political boondoggle... sigh

Actually building a monorail is the real boondoggle. It's many times more expensive than light rail. Las Vegas built a 3.9 mile monorail and ended up declaring bankruptcy protection because it couldn't pay off it's creditors. And that's with charging $5 single rides.

Sacramento Light Rail operates on 38 miles of track and the cost to ride is half of the Vegas monorail on a daily basis.

There is no future in monorails in mass transit. It's only use is as an attraction. These things just don't pencil out in the real world.

no, i'm sure the CMs hide the real "magic" around the monorail beam so it is not visible from the monorail. you can see the casting center on the way to DTD and the CM corridor behind the soundstages in Hollywoodland and extra props coming back from DTD to TL. IT is a weird poking out of TL to Harbor Blvd and seeing the "real world" though.

On another note, we were on the monorail on Sunday and the train was going unusually fast as we were tossed throughout the tail cone... i guess they were trying to get us back before they had to shut down for fireworks...

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    Actually building a monorail is the real boondoggle. It's many times more expensive than light rail. Las Vegas built a 3.9 mile monorail and ended up declaring bankruptcy protection because it couldn't pay off it's creditors. And that's with charging $5 single rides.

Sacramento Light Rail operates on 38 miles of track and the cost to ride is half of the Vegas monorail on a daily basis.

There is no future in monorails in mass transit. It's only use is as an attraction. These things just don't pencil out in the real world.
    The ride cost of Light Rail here may only be half of what Vegas charged, but what you are not saying is how much additional funding Light Rail gets to stay solvent and expand. If our Light Rail were to survive only by rider fees - it would greatly exceed Vegas' mere $5. Ridership fee does not cover half of the expense of light rail. That is the true boondoggle.

Monorails cost more to build, but long term they are less expensive to run. Plus they don't snarl up traffic at multiple locations every ten to twenty minutes. There are far fewer rail/auto accidents and run over pedestrians. Factor those costs in as well.
    Last edited by Sambo; 10-18-2012 at 06:23 PM.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• former CM

Here's a bad copy of a video that captures the magic of monorails:
    Simpsons - Monorail - YouTube

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by magicaldisney77 View Post
    i could see why you would think that, but really the whole area around the DLR feels like a resort as a whole. because the DLR is a resort within a resort as they call it the Anaheim resort.
    I do enjoy getting a bit of magic seeing the monorail go by as I return to the parks from the DLH or hotels on Harbor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12