Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Doesn't the monorail spoil the magic?

I haven't been to the Disneyland Resort yet (my homepark is Disneyland Paris), but after seeing a POV video of the monorail I was wondering: doesn't it spoil much of the magic? You get to see so many backstage areas and industrial looking places... Anyone who actually rode it has anything to say on the subject?

• -

Re: Doesn't the monorail spoil the magic?

It doesn't spoil it. It actually adds to it.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I'd have to agree. The Monorail is great and gives you some awesome views of the Resort. Sure you pass by some of the backstage areas but personally I like that! It's cool to see that stuff!

• Keepin' it calsteady

Seeing the backstage areas doesn't spoil the park, but seeing Harbor Blvd and other parts of the outside world isn't great and having to disembark in Downtown Disney is a real buzzkill.

• former CM

Doesn't the monorail spoil the magic?

No.

I went to Walt Disney World as a kid, and the monorail was the form of transportation that took us on the final scenic segment of the journey to the Magic Kingdom. To me it represents Disney as much as a good drawing of Mickey Mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by bee1000 View Post
    Seeing the backstage areas doesn't spoil the park, but seeing Harbor Blvd and other parts of the outside world isn't great and having to disembark in Downtown Disney is a real buzzkill.
    We disagree.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by DutchGuy View Post
    I haven't been to the Disneyland Resort yet (my homepark is Disneyland Paris), but after seeing a POV video of the monorail I was wondering: doesn't it spoil much of the magic? You get to see so many backstage areas and industrial looking places... Anyone who actually rode it has anything to say on the subject?
    It's a different experience for sure.. in WDW it mostly makes grand passes.. through the Contemp.. around the lagoon... approaching the MK.. looping around EPCOT.

At DLR.. the portion of the trip in TL/FL is great.. but its only a short portion of the ride. The rest is like riding a regional train. Running through the parts of town no one else wants to. Does it ruin the magic? No... no more so then the skyway or google maps does.. but is it glamerous or enticing? Nope.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

No. The monorail is good with me. I don't ride often though.

• Mischievous Mouse

I've only riden it once out of dozens of visits to the parks, but so cool to watch it swish on by!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

I think seeing parts of backstage adds some mystery to the trip. You get to see things that you normally do not see, and I always wonder what buildings we are passing and try to get a glimpse of something cool.

-Kriss

• Down Pluto!

Doesn't spoil anything and enhances it IMHO. Additionally I enjoy seeing the monorail cruise along Harbor Blvd. It reminds me that there is indeed a possiblity of futuristic mass transit. We have this gawd-awful light rail here in Sacramento, and I am constantly saddened that the Capital city of California chose ugly, expensive, inefficient, and very old technology over a bold, bright, and futuristic option. Talk about a political boondoggle... sigh

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• formerly very helpful

I agree. I used to avoid the monorail like the plague when it took you through the magical parking lot. Now I don't mind it so much since except for a short bit of Harbor Blvd., it's all part of the Disneyland Resort.

• Foolish Mortal

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I couldn't agree more.

I love to see what's going on in Disneyland. It puts me in a complete awe.

"So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time."- Green Day
    "The harder you work, the luckier you get."- Billie Joe Armstrong
    "This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

• Minion

The monorail doesn't ruin anything for me, including the views. I love it all. It's home.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

i could see why you would think that, but really the whole area around the DLR feels like a resort as a whole. because the DLR is a resort within a resort as they call it the Anaheim resort.
    Last edited by magicaldisney77; 10-17-2012 at 03:15 PM.

• My Children's Father

I agree with the first point, but the visibility of Harbor Blvd. is a result of placement and function, another result of which brings back nostalgia for the good old days.

Back in the day, approaching Disneyland from afar, the first thing you'd see of the park was the Matterhorn. No less thrilling was to exit I-5 at Harbor and finding a Monorail traveling overhead. It was the only ride visible from the outside, what Walt would call a wienee (something to draw someone's interest).
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast