Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: New Princess Costumes

I don't know enough about the Princesses' gowns to begin with... I am ok with Cinderella's gown being sparkly because it was in the movie. I don't think ALL of them need to have sparkly gowns all the time though, unless the movie showed them that way. What I do NOT like is the new cartoon faces on all the "Princess" merchandise with the "wispies" in their hair like they're all about to get blown away on the breeze. Quit messing with the classics!
    I wish I had a cool signature to insert here, but I don't.

• The Tomorrowland One

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyM View Post
    Before everyone starts bashing her look en masse, I heard a rumor that John Lassetter personally oversaw the design of Cinderella's new dress and had small details hidden within it, such as "C's" and glass slippers.
    I don't know about John being involved, but that is the pattern on the dress.

Name:  cindydresspattern.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  191.5 KB

• I am number 4 of 999

I hated the arm puff/sleeve on the old one but I REALLY hate it on the new one. I do like the construction of the corset top and the pattern of the dress. The dress part of the gown looks poufy and HUGE compared to the older dress. And I do not like the new wig at all. Mostly, I think this updated version doesn't look "special"... is the only way I can describe it. You are supposed to be meeting Cinderella at Disneyland! Not some girl that paid $200 for a really nice, but not entirely accurate, Cinderella costume. I also don't like the media attention Disney is giving it. Oh, John Lasseter designed the pattern, because I thought her Fairy Godmother magically created the dress on the night of the ball?
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

So I saw the dress in person on Sunday and I personally adore it now that I've actually seen it in real life.

• Foolish Mortal

Mmm I like the new one better. It's more elegant in a way.

"So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time."- Green Day
    "The harder you work, the luckier you get."- Billie Joe Armstrong
    "This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

• Minion

So why is disney "updating" the princess anyway? I'm not talking about the costumes in the park, Rather the artwork being used on toy boxes and and merchandise. Why are the designs being changed? Is there something I missed?

• formerly very helpful

The way I look at it is t hese girls are royalty. Or at least they married into royalty. That means they have money. I've never known of any rich person to always wear the same thing. I don't know if I've ever seen Princess Kate Middleton wear the same outfit twice. So it is completely realistic and believable that these girls would change their clothes. Just imagine how stinky they'd be if they wore the same thing FOREVER!

• Gooseberries and Apples

Quote Originally Posted by Sir.Mouse View Post
    So why is disney "updating" the princess anyway? I'm not talking about the costumes in the park, Rather the artwork being used on toy boxes and and merchandise. Why are the designs being changed? Is there something I missed?
    To keep the product line updated and fresh for changing views of beauty.

More importantly it gives little girls (and women) the desire to buy everything involving the new, updated look. It's the same reason the princess dresses for girls get updated every year. Why keep an old perfectly serviceable princess crown and wand when you can buy the new super sparkly one with the new long haired Belle on it.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sir.Mouse View Post
    Disney Marketeering 101: New! Improved! Higher Price!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

I was at the Disney store in the local outlet mall and my mom approved of the new look she said they look great plus my cousin whose 5 bought a new Cinderella gown for Halloween looks so nice compared to the old one. like some others have said it does look more elegant.

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• Minion

Looking at a few pictures online of the "new" princesses I do think the looks are striking. I just find it weird that Disney would seek to change basic design elements of their classic Princess characters when the films that inspired them remain relevant. Or is it the same as the various updates Mickey received over the years?

• Minion

ORDDU: Whenever it comes to feeding the greed of Disney management, nothing is sacred. In another hundred years Mickey and the princesses may look so different we won't recognize them. Not that some of us will even be around to see what they'll look like in another hundred years. But some things should never change and the way the Disney characters look should remain the same. Too many people in Life want to fix things that aren't broken.

• Yeah.....

You're joking. Please tell me you're joking.

Name:  original.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  105.7 KB

Name:  1lc5.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  53.7 KB

• Minion

ORDDU: Well, for obvious reasons those costumes in your pictures were a joke. I'm referring to the costumes that have been at the parks since the costumes began to really look like the Disney characters looked in their animated versions. Most of the characters started to have their accurate looks by the 80's. They went through a period where they first looked atrocious. But over time they got to a point where they looked just right--for the most part.

ORWEN: Prince Phillip's costume hasn't ever been accurate--especially with the black color of his tunic and that awful black hat they give him to wear. But all the other characters look pretty decent and have for many years. They don't need to be changed.

• Face Character fanatic

Not totally sure if I'm in the minority here...
    But I honestly hate the changes. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of change in general, but still.
    It's weird, I love everything glittery and sparkly but I am totally against using it to modernize a classic Princess. I've been away from the whole Disney thing the past few months and out of pure curiosity, went on Flickr last night and searched up 'Disneyland Cinderella'. I came across the new design of both the dress and wig and flipped out, praying that it wasn't a change affecting Disneyland CA.

I adore the original design, along with the wig but honestly, this annoys me and knowing that some or all of the other Princesses will be affected just... Ugh.

I know, I know. I'm making a huge deal out of something that really isn't that big of a deal. I really wish they kept the original design(s) - classic and easily recognizable.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast