Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Mickey And Friends Parking Structure

It's either a structure or a parking lot six times the structures footprint. I'd rather walk the current strcuture than a lot six times its length.

• Having a Grand Day!

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    We can thank Mr. Eisner for the way that damnable thing was planned.

One would think that Disney would try to get the design right since the company was paying half a billion dollars to build the structure.

In 1955, the triangular shape of Disneyland was specifically used in order to minimize the walking distances to the main entrance. Now, the "Mickey & Friends" structure funnels guests to the far corner, which creates the most inefficient layout possible. Not only that, but the tram stops are arranged so that guests crowd the cars nearest the escalators.

I wonder, too, if there is any danger of guests falling down a five-story escalator.

Why, also, did Disney abandon using character names as mnemonic devices? Now, guests have to remember the letter and number along with the level and the tram.

Why is the level identified in three different ways (by character; by color; and, by number)? How much more confusing and illogical could such a system possibly be?

The term, "parking structure", is, additionally, not very Disney-like. And, the name, "Mickey & Friends" leaves much to be desired, as well.

Someone at Disney needs to rethink the main parking terrace, so that these problems are addressed and so that guests can begin and end their Disneyland visits in a pleasant and civilized way.
    If anything, they should of placed sets of escalators in the middle of the stucture, and every 'tower' of escalators (There is no point in having the express escalators, just arange them so it is easy to spiral down them quickly) would feed everybody into switchbacks to board the trams. Oh, and I've seen much smaller structures with at least 4 elevators.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    It's either a structure or a parking lot six times the structures footprint. I'd rather walk the current strcuture than a lot six times its length.
    The old parking grounds had trams that made multiple stops.

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

OMG...If I park in the structure...it is in the handycap section...and most of the time My friends mom get into pino. parking lot....The higest i have been in that structure...was daisy

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    I thought Mall of America is the largest now...
    The Mall of America does not have one solo structure, there is one on the east side of the mall and one on the west side of the mall. I haven't been back in a few years, so I haven't seen the new additions to the area, but there is no comparison as far as a single structure.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I think I've been on the roof at least twice now, and yes...it may be considered "in the weeds." If you are in the spaces the farthest from the parks, it feels like days may go by before you actually get down to the trams.

However....

Has anyone else noticed that no matter how crowded it is, that you are out of there in less than half the time it used to take to get out of the old parking lot? If you tried to get out of the old lot after the fireworks....whoo boy! You'd spend at LEAST an hour getting from Owl to the exit! The way that they designed freeway access is brilliant, putting the majority of cars back on the 5 freeway without having to clog up what used to be West and Ball. You'll still wait through some lights, but you're back on the street pretty dang quick.

And who do you have to be to park on the ground down by the trams? I've parked down there a couple of times, but it seemed like it was later...just before the fireworks. I think it's bus/rv parking. Hmmmm...

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The old parking grounds had trams that made multiple stops.
    Then you need to operate multiple load and unload stops, more trams,and mix all of the tram traffic with the cars.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    Has anyone else noticed that no matter how crowded it is, that you are out of there in less than half the time it used to take to get out of the old parking lot? If you tried to get out of the old lot after the fireworks....whoo boy! You'd spend at LEAST an hour getting from Owl to the exit! The way that they designed freeway access is brilliant, putting the majority of cars back on the 5 freeway without having to clog up what used to be West and Ball. You'll still wait through some lights, but you're back on the street pretty dang quick.
    I totally agree. I think the dumbest argument on Disney boards is the whole "Old Parking Lot was better" deal. Imagine 65,000 cars in flat surface.... Now imagine all of those cars trying to exit out of a few openings... I HATED the nightmare that was leaving Disneyland after closing. Now its cake!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    That's because the bottleneck is back in DD, waiting for the tram. It can be a good half-hour before you get on one.

Those undulations are on many of the floors, not just the top one. They're needed on the top, since that's where the rain will fall. It doesn't rain a lot, but when it does, it rains a lot!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    I totally agree. I think the dumbest argument on Disney boards is the whole "Old Parking Lot was better" deal. Imagine 65,000 cars in flat surface.... Now imagine all of those cars trying to exit out of a few openings... I HATED the nightmare that was leaving Disneyland after closing. Now its cake!
    The "Old Parking Lot was better" deal refers to it being better than DCA.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    The "Old Parking Lot was better" deal refers to it being better than DCA.
    The old parking grounds were better in the specific ways I mentioned.

Most of the problems with the new parking terrace could have been avoided with a better design. It's not too late; they can still be corrected.

Totally disagree with those that think it's poorly designed. It's wonderfully designed. How is walking from the last row of any level of this parking structure any different than walking from the back of the old lot? Just as far of a walk to the tram pickup if you ask me. If you get stuck parking out in the farther reaches of the current parking structure, that's bad luck, not bad design as they fill up each level from the closest to the escalaters first. Everybody can't park right next to the escalators.

As others have noted, it sooo much easier to leave the parking structure now compared to the previous lot. I've never encountered any type of wait once I get in my car. Getting to my car probably takes about the same amount of time as it used to. Getting out of the parking area, however is soooo much faster now!

On a side note, I'd like to know how long or just plain how they put those circular, non-skid, textured finish pattern rows on the cement? Must have taken some poor soul a looooong time to do that!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ganggreen4jc
    Totally disagree with those that think it's poorly designed. It's wonderfully designed. How is walking from the last row of any level of this parking structure any different than walking from the back of the old lot?
    There was a tram to pick you up at your row in the old lot. Since the CMs were directing cars to specific parking areas, it was very easy for the tram to pick guests up (and become full, so no additional stops could occur) where they were parked. Meanwhile, your anticipation at nearing DL while on the tram was heightened by the fact that you could actually see the DL entrance, the train station, Space Mountain, and the Castle!
    The ride out required stops at every few rows or so, but it's not a walk through a loud and a bit claustrophobic current structure. (Perhaps the agoraphobes like the structure over the old lot?)

Agree on comments about getting out of the structure, though: quite quick to freeway! Perhaps the one thing that will get you back is that last memory: sitting around Anaheim surface streets or nearly immediately getting on the freeway? I'll give you that. One thing that bugs me about going to sporting events and concerts is the waiting to get out of there.

It's wonderfully functionally designed. Designed to give you a wonderful feeling of anticipation? No.

There would have been a need for some kind of structure for the DLr expansion, and this structure provides a functional purpose. I would have preferred an expansion of the original park over DCA. I mean, if it takes someone two days to see all the park, then the guest will have to stay longer than one day.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Why, also, did Disney abandon using character names as mnemonic devices? Now, guests have to remember the letter and number along with the level and the tram.

Why are the levels identified in three different ways (by character; by color; and, by number)?
    Actually, Disney didn't abandon using the characters as mnemonic devices at all, as you point out in the second paragraph quoted above. And I believe the old parking lot also used row numbers in each character sections, otherwise it would have been murder trying to find your car.

As an exhibit designer/educator I can tell you that people learn in different ways, each responding better to different stimuli. Hence Disney's truly inspired use of characters, numbers, and color for indicating each level of the parking structure (some people remember names better than colors or numbers, and vice-versa). Its actually very brilliantly thought out and executed.

Mickey and Friends is also located in the idea location, once you consider sight-lines. That structure is huge, but its invisible from within the park, right across the street (although I have unfortunately seen a light or two from it between the trees in Frontierland. THAT needs to be dealt with, even with a simple blind placed on the offending light posts).

I remember how long it used to take to get out of the old parking lot. I don't miss that at all! Or the time spent trying to get to a freeway once you'd finally managed to escape the lot. We used to just sit in the car for half an hour before even attempting to get out. Now its a snap.

And you still had to wait for a tram (or walk all the way to your car) back in the old days, so overall exiting is far, far easier with the current system.

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout
    Actually, Disney didn't abandon using the characters as mnemonic devices at all, as you point out in the second paragraph quoted above. And I believe the old parking lot also used row numbers in each character sections, otherwise it would have been murder trying to find your car.
    Doesn't it make more sense to color-code the levels and, then, use character names to allow guests to remember the alphabetical section?

The brilliance of the former system is that guests could recall that they parked in "A", for example, because they could remember the mnemonic device, "Alice". Now, guests have to remember that they parked in "Daisy G7" or "Minnie L4".

Disney might even use different names for the same letter on different levels. So, a guest who parks in "Ariel", for example, might be on the red level while a guest who parks in "Aladdin" is on the green level.

I have heard several reports that guests lose their cars more often, now, with the terrace parking, than they used to with the ground parking, and my guess is that the lack of a mnemonic device to correspond to the alphabetical sections is the cause.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast