Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Mickey And Friends Parking Structure

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySarah
    Wow... burn a calorie and WALK!!!

Just kidding, but seriously, it's not that bad to walk from your spot to the escalators. 2/3 of the nation is overweight - it wouldn't kill them (well, maybe it would) to walk a few feet.
    Walt Disney specifically planned Disneyland to minimize walking distances because he knew that feet can hurt after a day of walking. People get tired and grumpy. And, children and seniors, especially, have physical limitations.

The current design of the parking terrace with the escalators and elevators at one corner defeats all the work that has been invested in Disneyland to keep the walking requirements at a minimum.

• Senior Minion

Quote:
    Walt Disney specifically planned Disneyland to minimize walking distances because he knew that feet can hurt after a day of walking. People get tired and grumpy. And, children and seniors, especially, have physical limitations.

I have (so far) had really good parking Kharma. I'm usually parking within a few yards from the elevators or escalators the last few times I have had to use the Parking Structure.

The system is a little weird getting out, but it makes sense once the roundabout way to exit guides you through.

Not that they need a kart system to take you back to your car, but for the tired folks and elderly, people with limited walking capabilty, I agree Pragmatic. These are the concerns I'm sure that TDA had to realize

- The driving space in that place is pretty tight in some sections of the structure for a car to pass or a kart.
    -Too many blind sections or views obstructed by cars, that one may encounter while driving through -hence why one should drive through carefully
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Wait, I lied. One more issue. Why can't I take the stairs down/up to the different levels? Why do they say "Emergency Exit Only"? Security? Sometimes I actually want to get some exercise!
    Are they really? G and I once walked from the, uh, Pinnochio? lot (the ground lot) to the second or third story with no probs. I don't THINK it said emergency exit only but there wasn't a gate or anything to stop us. You might want to try from the ground floor up next time.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist

The current design of the parking terrace with the escalators and elevators at one corner defeats all the work that has been invested in Disneyland to keep the walking requirements at a minimum.
    That was Disneyland. The parking lot you may still have had to walk far to your car though it probably was shorter than the current lot. They should take out the two rows of parking spaces on the edges near the divide on each side and put moving sidewalks with breaks at 1/2, 3/4 and all the way through the end of the lot on both sides making it easier for everyone on the far sides of the lot to get to their car. That is my only complaint about the parking lot. Otherwise it think it is a vast improvement(unless on minnie of course) over the old lots.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Well, I lost the parking lot lottery yesterday! I have theory on which lane it's best to be in, and my theory proved be true yet again as I was in the "wrong" lane, decided not to switch, turned the corner on the Mickey level and was faced with a block of cars.

I parked, literally, 5 spaces from the far corner - it's, like, Row 0L! Oh what can you do but hope that next time you'll ghit the jackpot?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    One might think that Disney would try to get the design right since the company was spending half a billion dollars to build the structure.
    What's your source for this figure? Sure, it's a big building. But $500 million? I can't see it.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

In the old days you didn't have to walk from the tram drop to your car...

You either walked that far to the car or the tram dropped you close to the car.

Now when you arrive at Mickey and go down the escalator, it bunches up at the front of the tram, so I walk to the back to board (less fumes and smell back there too.) But if the tram pulled into the garage and you boarded right there on the ground floor, it would be indoors out of the rain and you wouldn't need that whole space out front.

Also, it should pull up so the front and back of the car are the same distance from you, that is not with the engine facing you but the boarding side facing you.

• Minion

Wow... burn a calorie and WALK!!!

Just kidding, but seriously, it's not that bad to walk from your spot to the escalators. 2/3 of the nation is overweight - it wouldn't kill them (well, maybe it would) to walk a few feet.

The only issue I have with the structure is the lack of elevators. I feel bad for the people with strollers or wheelchairs that can't use the escalators. There always seems to be quite a line just to get on an elevator.

Wait, I lied. One more issue. Why can't I take the stairs down/up to the different levels? Why do they say "Emergency Exit Only"? Security? Sometimes I actually want to get some exercise!
    I agree wholeheartedly. I can't believe folks are complaining because they actually have to a bit of walking to the tram

Folks, Disneyland is no longer what Walt envisioned it to be, he didn't plan for it to have as many visitors per day as it does now. Once we realize that, we can put context to the present.

Heck I'm sure Walt didn't plan for IASW to be a parking lot for Child Utility Vehicles, but it's the world we live in...
    </IMG>

• Now I'm driving the bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneykat
    I like the ease of getting out of the parking structure
    It is rather nice getting to the freeway now. Nice and quick.

• CM for 4 years!

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    What's your source for this figure? Sure, it's a big building. But $500 million? I can't see it.
    Most parking structures cost about $11,000 per parking space.

I heard this is what my school (Chapman University) spent on their above-ground structure (5 floors, about 200 spots per floor)... now that they're building a below-ground structure, I think the figure was something nasty like over $20,000 per space.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    Most parking structures cost about $11,000 per parking space.
    Perhaps there are some economies of scale in such a large lot?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Yes its that much fun!

First a little history on the Structure...
    It is actually owned by the city and leased to Disneyland!
    It is the Largest Structure in the U.S. (Physically)
    It is designed for maximum efficiency! (We can park over 3500 cars in 2 hrs!)
    The multiple I.D. system (Char., color, number) is made to make it easy for everyone to remember (even though most forget initially) where they parked. Working in the structure I can get anyone to there cars with those devices! (and yes amlost everytime its the kids that remember!)

On average during busy time of the day we can get a family from the toll booth into the resort within 10 - 15 min! (No individual tram wait has ever been more than 15-20 min during normal operation)
    The one you've all been waiting for...
    When you park at the end of the row (anywhere beyond G-H areas) and walk past hundreds of empty spaces wondering why you couldn't park closer the reason is..
    When they first designed M&F they stripped it so that the first cars in park at the end of the row and the last cars parked were close to the E&E (Elevators & Escalators). well everyone walking to the E&E were in the way of the cars trying to park and of course it took forever to get vehicles parked. (Along with the fact that most would just park at the end anyway) Needless to say we slowly learned that if we reversed the parking and parked one row at a time then people would have enough time to unload their cars and safely walk down the lane to get to the trams! Also sometimes you notice that there are several non disabled spaces that are open close to the E&E. We try to save spaces closer to those areas for Disabled guests from out of town that don't have disabled tags or others that have true needs for close parking. (Of course most pass holders just take those spaces anyway but we wont get into that here)
    Now when you think of 3500 cars it doesnt seem like much until you do the simple math of it... if you average 3 people per car that number is over 10,000 people and that doesn't include busess, RV's and drop offs! The shear numbers of people visiting the parks are astounding these days (read to Al's collumn about the holiday week) even without DCA we needed to do something to help ease congestion. (Imagine 68,000 people trying to leave the old lot!)
    Now back to the orginal post...
    The structure is designed for drainage and is segmented to allow for expansion and weight load.
    "I am about to pack up 21 years of Disney memorabilia from around the world that hopefully my great grandchildren will not sell on eBay"
    Micheal Eisner

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234