Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Now I'm driving the bus!

Wink Mickey And Friends Parking Structure

Went to Disnetland last night and parked on the very top level of the parking structure for only the second time ever. Has anyone else noticed how not flat the surface is? Even has some rebar showing in a few places. Just curious as to what others may have noticed as well.

• @ DENIAL ISLAND

Wish you were here!!! Come on in the water's fine @ Club DENIAL

Re: Mickey And Friends Parking Structure

I have major issues with parking structures so I don't use them. I was a passenger once and had to use it and that thing is scary!! What is with the way they have you park? As you are walking out you see so many empty spots, why do they make everyone walk so far?
    aka Sara

One of my children
    isn't pictured,

ABE is still hibernating

By "Not Flat" I'm assuming that you mean the undulations you see. That would be for drainage purposes. The water has to go somewhere and from all I can see, they have done a great job designing it for that purpose.

Ever notice the thick rubber pieces between sections on a given level? I'll assume those are for the "expansion" and "contraction" that a structure like that goes through throughout it's life, as well as some sort of seismic buffering. Can you imagine the structural engineering that went into it's planning and design?

All in all, I'm quite impressed with the building of one of the largest parking structures in the world.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

I believe it is the largest structure in the world, although I heard someone overseas was building one that was only slightly larger, like 1 more space, or something.

They can park a car a second, its quite an efficient system. I never try and figure out why they have me park where they do because it all works out, its too complicated for my brain to understand, lol.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Banned User

I thought Mall of America is the largest now...

Whether its true or not, my traditions class said that Mickey and Freinds was second largest parking structure in the world, eclipsed only by the Disney parking structure in Tokyo which exceeds it by some paltry amount (like ten spaces or something).

The undulations of the surface on all of the levels are draininge, in the breaks in concrete are for seismic buffering. If memory serves, Mickey and Freinds can be though of as 9 large parking garages built really really close together.

Mickey and Freinds is also expertly designed to guide my car to the parking space furthest from the escalators EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!

• Life is Great!

my hubby looked at on google maps(the satellite one) and it was real cool to see that way, it really shows how huge it is. we also saw the top for the first time last dec and noticed the hills and valleys, good to know they are there for a reason. this past saturday we were on mickey level and were in the first place next to the escalators, we were thrilled and both said (at the same time) "this will never happen again"
    {:

• 6 kids before I'm 30!!!!

Isn't the parking structure four parking structures built side by side. I believe its not one structure. Thats why when you see those rubber/metal strips on the floor that's the connecting parking structure. And the top floor looks like that because when it rains that is where the most water is colelcted and must be drained ASAP to relieve stress on the structures. So thats why it looks like a rollercoaster up there. Correct if im wrong about being 4 structures in 1 deal. Thats what I rememeber reading from somewhere.

OH and yes I to am part of that design where I end up parking at the farthest point of the escalators. What is that? I have never ever parked near. SOmetimes im sick of M&F that i jsut park at DTD lot and jsut pay extra. I hate the tram ride when its busy. so i rather pay than deal with that. =P
    Last edited by XCLIPSE129; 01-10-2006 at 12:20 PM.
    We rock the party that rocks the party!
    We are truly a new generation of the Brady Bunch!

• Minion

I got excited on last Sunday nite we got to park on the Daisy level! Yes!
    Jason

• Lurker

I believe Tokyo still boasts the largest parking structure in the world. DR used to have the largest in the western hemisphere but the Detroit airport beat that in 2003 with about 1200 more spaces.

• Now I'm driving the bus!

I'm with you all on all those. Yes, as a designer, it is an inpressive engineering accomplishment. I did notice the drainage holes at the bottoms of all the valleys. But what about the rebar? I somehow don't think that's supposed to be visible.

• Closed Account

The Tokyo structure only has about 2 more spaces than the Mikey & Friends garage.

• Having a Grand Day!

Quote Originally Posted by spike
    I'm with you all on all those. Yes, as a designer, it is an inpressive engineering accomplishment. I did notice the drainage holes at the bottoms of all the valleys. But what about the rebar? I somehow don't think that's supposed to be visible.
    That's where the budget cuts came in.

The Garage was going to be larger still than it currently is, with underground levels.

• Hunka hunka burnin love!

Huntington Beach, CA - 30 minutes away from Disneyland!

underground? that woulda been sweet...
    We're addicted to Disney

I was there on May 5th, 2005! and July 17, 2005!

Quote Originally Posted by mrmainstreet
    Mickey and Freinds is also expertly designed to guide my car to the parking space furthest from the escalators EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!
    We can thank Mr. Eisner for the way that damnable thing was planned.

One might think that Disney would try to get the design right since the company was spending half a billion dollars to build the structure.

In 1955, the triangular shape of Disneyland was specifically used in order to minimize the walking distances to the main entrance. Now, the "Mickey & Friends" structure funnels guests to the far corner, which creates the most inefficient layout possible. .... Not only that, but the tram stops are arranged so that guests crowd the cars nearest the escalators.

I wonder, too, if there is any danger of guests falling down a five-story escalator.

Why, also, did Disney abandon using character names as mnemonic devices? Now, guests have to remember the letter and number along with the level and the tram.

Why are the levels identified in three different ways (by character; by color; and, by number)?

The term, "parking structure", is, furthermore, not very Disney-like. And, the name, "Mickey & Friends" leaves much to be desired, as well.

Someone at Disney needs to rethink the main parking terrace, so that these problems are addressed and so that guests can begin and end their Disneyland visits in as pleasant and civilized a way as possible.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-11-2006 at 12:05 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast