Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• ~

Re: Soarin over California 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Soarin' Over the World would be just another jab at the already-declining California presence in California ​Adventure. All Soarin' needs is a little TLC, and it'll be back to good in no time.
    THIS.

Although, with the park's latest additions, I think that the California prescence is starting to increase rather than decline. Buena Vista Street is a lovely addition that really did bring a sense of California and its history to the park. And Cars Land, no matter how many times people say that it takes place in a state like Arizona and therefore doesn't coincide with the CA theme, does resemble the desert and roadside towns just over the mountains where I'm from and portrays a significant piece of Californian history and geography. I've always been amazed that you can travel from snowy mountains to the desert to the beach in the matter of several hours in California, and I love how that's now captured in the park. It's just the character tie-ins that kill it for me. I wish they could have focused more on car culture specific to California instead of purely focusing on the Cars franchise.

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    THIS.

Although, with the park's latest additions, I think that the California prescence is starting to increase rather than decline. Buena Vista Street is a lovely addition that really did bring a sense of California and its history to the park. And Cars Land, no matter how many times people say that it takes place in a state like Arizona and therefore doesn't coincide with the CA theme, does resemble the desert and roadside towns just over the mountains where I'm from and portrays a significant piece of Californian history and geography. I've always been amazed that you can travel from snowy mountains to the desert to the beach in the matter of several hours in California, and I love how that's now captured in the park. It's just the character tie-ins that kill it for me. I wish they could have focused more on car culture specific to California instead of purely focusing on the Cars franchise.
    Can't agree with you more about Buena Vista Street and Cars Land, I'm talking more along the lines of TLM and Bugs Land. I love both, but no matter how you view it, they don't fit the theme of California.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

I'd like to see it redone as a tribute to California's aviation history. You would still fly over some gorgeous California landscape, but the theme would be that you are flying with famous pilots. You can be there to witness early barnstomers, air circuses, the breaking of the sound barrier, the Spruce Goose, Hollywood stunt pilots, prototype aircraft such as the SR-71, the testing of the Space Shuttle Enterprise, and end with a flight through Disneyland (you could even have the Endevour flying over is you want, although Disneyland/DCA at night would provide a more dramatic end to the film). You can throw in small cameos from The Rocketeer, Dumbo, and Tinker Bell. This would become DCA's new thesis attraction now that Golden Dreams is gone.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

The Q needs to be redone...I think they can make it more interactive...with models and TV screen doing trivia and showing old video's of flights

and also make it feel more like a airbase too and of course make the outside park indoor too

My idea for Soarin' was to have several different options kinda like Star Tours. I would call it Soarin' Destinations. One ride you could fly over California, One ride you could fly over Florida, One ride over the World, I would do every Disney property as an option....plus you could virtually add any land. This ride has so much potential!!! Imagine riding 10 times and having 10 different experiences.

Soarin' Over the World would be just another jab at the already-declining California presence in California ​Adventure. All Soarin' needs is a little TLC, and it'll be back to good in no time.
    Why do the attractions have to stay california? Most everything at Tokyo disney sea is not directly sea related and that place seems to be everyone's favorite park. The sea theme is just a vague starting point for the lands and the attractions. If anything at TDS, the lands are based around the sea while the attractions are based on the land. Not all attractions there are based directly on the sea itself. Why can't DCA be the same?

Aviation in general is very california so condor flats will always be connected to california. Soarin' would still be in theme with condor flats even if it starts taking us around the world. Imo trying to make every attraction directly california themed would be way to limiting.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• ~

Can't agree with you more about Buena Vista Street and Cars Land, I'm talking more along the lines of TLM and Bugs Land. I love both, but no matter how you view it, they don't fit the theme of California.
    Ah, yes, TLM. I completely agree with you! I completely forgot about that-- the attraction is pretty easily forgettable. It really was a disappointment. If it had been an incredible dark ride, I might have been able to overlook the fact that its presence doesn't really make sense thematically (the fact that's she's from the ocean and Paradise Pier is next to the ocean is way too much of a stretch for me), but the ride itself is a wasted opportunity. I would love to see that beautiful building used for something that better compliments the theme of the pier and the theme of the park as a whole. But I guess that's a different topic for a different thread. :P

As far as "a bug's land" is concerned, it's been there for a while, so that's why I wouldn't say that's the park's California presence is currently declining. But I agree that it makes absolutely no sense thematically. This, in addition to the mediocre attractions, make me hope that the land will be replaced with something that actually enhances the park's theme and hosts attractions that both kids and parents can enjoy simultaneously. The scenery is charming and the idea of shrinking down to the size of the bug is cute, but that's all the credit that I can give it.

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    I'd like to see it redone as a tribute to California's aviation history. You would still fly over some gorgeous California landscape, but the theme would be that you are flying with famous pilots. You can be there to witness early barnstomers, air circuses, the breaking of the sound barrier, the Spruce Goose, Hollywood stunt pilots, prototype aircraft such as the SR-71, the testing of the Space Shuttle Enterprise, and end with a flight through Disneyland (you could even have the Endevour flying over is you want, although Disneyland/DCA at night would provide a more dramatic end to the film). You can throw in small cameos from The Rocketeer, Dumbo, and Tinker Bell. This would become DCA's new thesis attraction now that Golden Dreams is gone.
    I like this idea. Actually, I really love this idea! I think that it would make the entire land of Condor Flats make more sense. Right now, you fly over some pretty landscapes and witness the beauty of the Golden State, but you don't get a sense of why or how aviation is an important part of California to the point that it has its own land in the park. Increasing the emphasis on CA's aviation history during the ride could help tie the land together.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    The Q needs to be redone...I think they can make it more interactive...with models and TV screen doing trivia and showing old video's of flights

and also make it feel more like a airbase too and of course make the outside park indoor too
    Yeah, I've always felt like the queue was a little lackluster. The pictures of the famous aviators inside are fantastic, but overall, I don't get the impression that I'm in an airbase or any sense of story behind the attraction. I'd like to see what they could come up with if they redid the area.

• No Disassemble!

I believe that you could breathe another 5 years of life into the attraction with a few tweaks & upgrades:

- Remaster the film to a higher digital standard and better frame rate (4K comes to mind as the minimum format to upgrade to). In the current iteration of the film there are obvious signs of film degrading like visual pops and bleaching. I had assumed that when the ride opened they used digital projecting but now it's obvious that they are using the old IMAX film standard. Nowadays when I go on Soarin I get flashbacks of the Omnimax when it was on it's last legs at Ceaser's Palace in Vegas.. this is not a good thing.

- Fix the scent machine - I can't remember the last time I was able to smell Redwood Creek.

- Add 3-D - Some have mentioned it in previous posts and I agree. Especially since the 4K frame rate and 3D complement each other very nicely.

It's either do the above or make a whole new movie with new scenes. Even though Soarin Over the World is just a rumor it makes the most the most sense as a worthy uprgade if they're deciding to go in that direction.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    Why do the attractions have to stay california? Most everything at Tokyo disney sea is not directly sea related and that place seems to be everyone's favorite park. The sea theme is just a vague starting point for the lands and the attractions. If anything at TDS, the lands are based around the sea while the attractions are based on the land. Not all attractions there are based directly on the sea itself. Why can't DCA be the same?

Aviation in general is very california so condor flats will always be connected to california. Soarin' would still be in theme with condor flats even if it starts taking us around the world. Imo trying to make every attraction directly california themed would be way to limiting.
    Tokyo DisneySea isn't about the seas directly, it's about different port of calls, found all over the world, being connected by one sea, at least to me. I'm sure if Disney wanted to make it a direct sea theme, they would have gone that route.

Dedication:
    Welcome one and all to a world where Imagination and Adventure set sail. Tokyo DisneySea is dedicated to the spirit of exploration that lives in each of us. Here we chart a course for Adventure, Romance, Discovery and Fun and journey to exotic and fanciful Ports of Call. May Tokyo DisneySea inspire the hearts and minds of all of us who share the water planet, Earth.

California Adventure, on the other hand, is about California. It picks and chooses parts of California that we all love, and showcases them. California Adventure celebrates California, and specifically California. It doesn't celebrate Tokyo, London, etc. You can go to Florida for that.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Tokyo DisneySea isn't about the seas directly, it's about different port of calls, found all over the world, being connected by one sea, at least to me. I'm sure if Disney wanted to make it a direct sea theme, they would have gone that route.

Dedication:
    Welcome one and all to a world where Imagination and Adventure set sail. Tokyo DisneySea is dedicated to the spirit of exploration that lives in each of us. Here we chart a course for Adventure, Romance, Discovery and Fun and journey to exotic and fanciful Ports of Call. May Tokyo DisneySea inspire the hearts and minds of all of us who share the water planet, Earth.

California Adventure, on the other hand, is about California. It picks and chooses parts of California that we all love, and showcases them. California Adventure celebrates California, and specifically California. It doesn't celebrate Tokyo, London, etc. You can go to Florida for that.
    But why does everything in DCA have to be directly themed to california? Why cant it expand its options and take a more abstract TDS approach? TLM fits the seaside amusement park theme which fits into the over all california theme. Same for Soarin'. It fits Condor Flats' aviation theme which, in turn, also fits into california.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    But why does everything in DCA have to be directly themed to california? Why cant it expand its options and take a more abstract TDS approach? TLM fits the seaside amusement park theme which fits into the over all california theme. Same for Soarin'. It fits Condor Flats' aviation theme which, in turn, also fits into california.
    Because it's California Adventure, for crying out loud! TLM is stretching it, so would "Soarin' Over the World". It's like saying Phineas and Ferb belong in New Orleans Square because Phineas and Ferb live in America and New Orleans is in America.

Sure, aviation may be a part of California, but no one thinks of it when they think of California. They think movie stars, sunny days (ha), Disneyland, etc. Soarin' only works because it features what I said above.
    Fear of the unknown.

Because it's California Adventure, for crying out loud! TLM is stretching it, so would "Soarin' Over the World". It's like saying Phineas and Ferb belong in New Orleans Square because Phineas and Ferb live in America and New Orleans is in America.

Sure, aviation may be a part of California, but no one thinks of it when they think of California. They think movie stars, sunny days (ha), Disneyland, etc. Soarin' only works because it features what I said above.

All I'm saying is that it works extremely well at TDS. Obviously phineas and ferb would be terrible in NOS. Its all in the execution. TLM is supposed to be a california seaside attraction so the ride fits the land that fits the park's theme. And all soarin over the world would need to tie itself back to California is the land it resides in. Without Soarin' over california, the land still looks and feels like California and its history in aviation. Not every attraction has to strictly reinforce the overall theme of the park.

And I think most people are smart enough to associate aviation and california. Once you walk into the land, this idea is already there.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Sambo, I'm used to jump cuts, and I'd like Soarin' energy & money invested into making four new films that would rotate around the Disney parks after each hosts it's home film for three years: a Soarin' over the USA for WDW shot in the other 49 states, and a Soarin' Over Europe, Japan & China film in 3D for the other resorts. (One of the China films can be pirated from the other one.)

If they are hang gliders and we want to cover hundreds of miles in a few minutes, jump cuts are the only option unless our vehicles have jets that soar up after each lower flyover. It would be educational to fly up so high we can see the whole state, country or
    (European) continent and impose map outlines along with place names on the area we are about to zoom down on. But I'd prefer sticking with jump cuts. Maybe have one film every day where the gliders crash for verisimilitude.

P.S. Hey Disney World visitors, did you know that WDW's Soarin' is (except for a glimpse of Nevada in the Lake Tahoe skiing scene) shot entirely in California? Please do two things:
    1. Visit California to experience many of the actual places you soared over. Spend money here.
    2. Demand a "Soarin' Over the USA" at WDW so I have another reason to visit and spend $ in Florida.
    I like the idea of different videos changing views every year. The scents need to be fixed!!!

• Your Nemesis

I think Soarin' over the World makes much more sense at Epcot than DCA. If the attraction receives some upgrades, mostly just an improved queue and some minor changes to the ride, I don't think Soarin' Over the World is necesarry. That being said, I think it'd be interesting to have Soarin' over the world on one screen and the original on the other.
    Running is a mental sport and I am insane!

When I was hired to be an extra for the filming of Soaring, I was told that the film would be shown for 10 years. The ten years have passed and I still think that the ride is so much fun!
    Yes, it can be helped with some updates. I'd like to be able to smell the orange groves again, the lens needs to be cleaned, the screen needs to be replaced, etc.. Even possibly a new show, but we do have a classic on our hands. Yay for Soaring!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast