Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• film975

Re: Soarin over California 2.0

The basic ride concept of Soarin' isn't the problem. It's a fantastic experience. Just the film it uses is really starting to show a lot of wear and tear. Maybe a digital restoration and/or maybe a 3D conversion might be in order. I'd rather see them shoot an entirely new film in 3D rather than a conversion though.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

DCA's Needs at least some updates to some of the senes like LA and Disneyland but can the one at Epoct get a different film entirly, like instead of LA they fly over New York, or London, or even Orlando and at the end maybe fly over Epcot or the Magic Kingdom because how weird is it you are in Florida and you are flying over Disneyland?

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    because how weird is it you are in Florida and you are flying over Disneyland?
    Not that I disagree but those Easteners need a chance to fly into a real theme park.

•   
    • Big Al

I also found the jump cuts to be distressing for the effectiveness of the attraction/illusion. I love Soarin' and was both thrilled and disappointed when I first rode it. I love the idea and the technology but I thought there was a better way to create the transitions. How about Disney magic where the Genie from Aladdin is your pilot (or stewardess!) and he creates magical transformations between each "cut". That would add Disney and create a seamless experience to this wonderful attraction. IMHO.

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by Country Bear View Post
    I also found the jump cuts to be distressing for the effectiveness of the attraction/illusion. I love Soarin' and was both thrilled and disappointed when I first rode it. I love the idea and the technology but I thought there was a better way to create the transitions. How about Disney magic where the Genie from Aladdin is your pilot (or stewardess!) and he creates magical transformations between each "cut". That would add Disney and create a seamless experience to this wonderful attraction. IMHO.
    Please, no. I really think that bringing in Disney characters would be a major step backwards. I'm sure that smoother transitions could be created in a more realistic manner without bringing a bright blue cartoon genie into the attraction.

•   
    • Big Al

Regarding upgrades to the technology, there is a company in Canada (Soaring Attractions) that is building a new Soarin' type attraction at Vancouver's Canada Place. It's called FlyOver Canada and is basically the same idea as Soarin' but using digital projection and curved screens. Their team has ex Disney Imagineers on it.

From their website:
    "FlyOver Canada, a new $15 million major destination visitor attraction, will open at Vancouver's Canada Place in Spring 2013. Guests will soar coast to coast across Canada in groups of 60 at a time on a breathtaking aerial journey, experiencing the excitement and grandeur of our great nation through the latest in virtual ride technology."

Their website: Soaring Attractions LP - About Us

"Groups of up to 60 guests at at time will strap in and be lifted in front of a large custom spherical screen where they will move in concert to a film with the most stunning vistas of Canada shown from the air. The immersive effect will be complete with the addition of wind, scents, mist and sound. "

FlyOver Canada website: FlyOver Canada - Taking off spring 2013

It would appear this is the next generation of the Soarin' technology.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123