• Minion

So, what were those weird looking boats?

Today my 90 yr old mom invited me over to watch old (really old) home movies. And there was Disneyland, July 1955! I was only 7 months old that trip, so don't remember much LOL. Anyway, there was some footage of motor boats that had rather large 'fins' on the back (like '50s cars had) in some sort of lagoon. Not the 'Motor Boat Cruise', I remember those. These boats were not on any type of track, just people 'boating' around this lagoon. Does anyone remember these boats?

It was so amazing to watch the footage. No trees, not much grass or shrubbery. Dumbo, the carrousel, tea cups, Casey Jr running on a track with no landscaping. Shots of Tomorrowland's big old rocket. Frontierland with a stage coach and a small marching band playing and marching by the Rivers of America. And the Disneyland RR; the train looked to me like it was smaller than the ones they have now. I have to admit I rewound it a few times. There was also footage of a trip the following summer ('56) but not as extensive.

I wish there was some way to get this footage on You Tube so you all could see it. Unfortunately, none of us is 'tech savvy' enough to do that!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Team Hail HYDRA

Re: So, what were those weird looking boats?

Thse were the phantom boats DISNEY HISTORY INSTITUTE: Phantom Boats!

• Parking Lot > DCA

^ That. A short lived attraction called the "Phantom Boats" that only existed from 55-56 due to their constant maintenance problems.

Almost looks like something that you could see Batman in!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Today my 90 yr old mom invited me over to watch old (really old) home movies. And there was Disneyland, July 1955! I was only 7 months old that trip, so don't remember much LOL. Anyway, there was some footage of motor boats that had rather large 'fins' on the back (like '50s cars had) in some sort of lagoon. Not the 'Motor Boat Cruise', I remember those. These boats were not on any type of track, just people 'boating' around this lagoon. Does anyone remember these boats?

It was so amazing to watch the footage. No trees, not much grass or shrubbery. Dumbo, the carrousel, tea cups, Casey Jr running on a track with no landscaping. Shots of Tomorrowland's big old rocket. Frontierland with a stage coach and a small marching band playing and marching by the Rivers of America. And the Disneyland RR; the train looked to me like it was smaller than the ones they have now. I have to admit I rewound it a few times. There was also footage of a trip the following summer ('56) but not as extensive.

I wish there was some way to get this footage on You Tube so you all could see it. Unfortunately, none of us is 'tech savvy' enough to do that!
    You'll first have to get them digitized. There are services that will do this. It's a good way to back up the old film as well - it's not going to last forever and it sounds pretty awesome!

Please look into doing this because I think I can speak for everyone here when I say, we would LOVE to see this film!

• Minion

That's them! Thanks for the link. Yes, they do look like the 'Bat Boat'. Gee if they want a 'Superhero attraction' maybe they should bring them back. Paint 'em like the Bat Boat & put them in the Motor Boat Cruise area. LOL LOL. (I know, I know, Batman is DC, not Marvel).

Mojave, we have a DVD/VCR player that will convert VHS to either CD or DVD (I don't remember which). Is that what you mean by digitizing? My husband says he can do that.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• AKA - DisneyChris

I think it is time to bring back the Phantom Boats....

HAPPY NEW YEAR - MAY ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE IN 2013

Now Presenting --- A DAY AT DISNEYLAND - AUDIO ADVENTURE
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Mojave, we have a DVD/VCR player that will convert VHS to either CD or DVD (I don't remember which). Is that what you mean by digitizing? My husband says he can do that.
    Oh, it's on VHS? I thought you meant it was on 8mm film. If VHS, yes, you can use the VHS/DVD player to convert it. Then upload it to YouTube, for example.

If it's on 8mm film, then you could either crudely record that with a camera or use a digitizing service.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Oh, it's on VHS? I thought you meant it was on 8mm film. If VHS, yes, you can use the VHS/DVD player to convert it. Then upload it to YouTube, for example.

If it's on 8mm film, then you could either crudely record that with a camera or use a digitizing service.
    It's 8mm that was put on VHS quite a few years ago. My DH said he'll do it since I don't know how. He has a You Tube account, too.

It'll just be a matter of his getting the time to do it. I'll post a new thread when he gets it done. It's family footage, of course, so it's not 'professional quality', but I think it's fun to see how DL looked back then. My family was there opening day, but my mom can't remember if the 1955 footage was actually taken on that day or on a later visit that summer.

• AKA - DisneyChris

The Phantom Boats were wayyyyy cooler than the Motor Boat Cruise.

HAPPY NEW YEAR - MAY ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE IN 2013

Now Presenting --- A DAY AT DISNEYLAND - AUDIO ADVENTURE
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

•   

Time to bring them back? Unlikely. Even if not for all the mechanical difficulties ( mentioned in the article linked above ) those boats had, there was one other problem it didn't mention. The article claims the boats had to switch from being guest-driven to employee driven to protect the boat's engine from overheating, but a bigger cause was the guests crashing the boats into other boats or fixed objects. They had to put employees in there just to make sure people wouldn't treat the boats like Hunter S. Thompson with a rental car.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>