Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Disneyland topography

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    All that said though, what I'm more interested in is the change in elevation as opposed to the actual elevations themselves. So as long as the measurement accuracy at point A and point B is the same, the difference between them will be accurate even if the actual elevations are not. So that helps. Were I building an actual elevation model, which I would love to do, this wouldn't work very well unless I had an accurate start point and could interpolate from there.
    This only works if the errors are always in the same direction. If one point is in error 10 feet above the actual altitude and another point is in error 10 feet below the actual altitude, well you see the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    The elevation of Disneyland, according to the sign at the main entrance, is 138 feet above sea level.
    Useful as a starting point, definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Assuming it’s the same at the base of the Matterhorn, and the height of the Matterhorn is 147 feet, then the elevation at the summit of the Matterhorn is 285 feet above sea level. By contrast, the summit of Mount Whitney in California, was recently re-calculated as 14,505 feet above sea level, more than 50 times the elevation of the Matterhorn’s summit. If you were to start with the existing Matterhorn and stack 147-foot-tall Matterhorns one on top of the other, it would take 96 of them to reach the same elevation as the top of Mt. Whitney. By the way, there is another Matterhorn in California, in Yosemite National Park.
    This makes me laugh! It's interesting information, but a really odd tangent to take.

My memory is that the entire Disneyland site: Ball - Harbor - Katella - West (Disney Way) was pretty flat.

The north / East corner had my dads Trailer Factory with mostly orange groves, along Harbor near the old entrance was our friends the Peltzers farm, and the southern half was mostly farm fields. I kinda remember the Dominguez house, but never went over to that area.

My estimate was/is that Katella is about 20-25' lower than Ball Road.

Looking at a running map showing nearby Walnut it shows an elevation of 139' even with the DL entrance (vs 138' listed at the DL entrance) then drops to 126' at Katella. This is a 13' drop from the entrance to Katella. If you look at Main Street, Town Square is lower than the Hub.

The entire plane from Anahiem Hills to the ocean is a thin layer of topsoil over ocean sand with no hills until you get near the ocean. And drops an average of 9.2'/ mile.

The Matterhorn is a steel building and is not topography. Disney built nearly all the hills and low spots. Tom Sawyers Island is about 20' high, but many areas are lower and a a few a little higher. The entrance to Toontown drops about 25' below the railroad, but the highest spot in Disneyland is near Rodger Rabbit, and the lowest would be the SW corner of California Adventure. All water drains nearly due south.

Jack

• Team Hail HYDRA

Ok let's say the railway is 1.0
    Most of the park is at 0.0
    we enter below the tracks (about 0.0)
    NOS is rising up to 1.0
    In front of the drop on SM we are at about 1.5
    everything behind the castle and big thunder is at 1.0 also
    you rise up and head down on autopia because you are above the subs
    The tunnel you see in the gates by FL and the BTR is the same as the one for the skyway, right?

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland 1951 View Post
    The entrance to Toontown drops about 25' below the railroad
    Since I can reach my hands up and almost touch the bottom of the bridge, and given that 25 feet is a 2 story building, I'm going to say that the entrance walkway to Toontown is actually at most about 11 feet below the railroad tracks.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Closed Account

He is indeed.
    I am?

Mycroft is correct--the railroad is pretty level. There did used to be a couple grades--the steepest being near the Rivers of America. When the railroad tracks were replaced back in 2004/2005, the contractor re-graded much of the line to make it nearly level.

The grade that was back near the ROA was fairly steep--and by "steep" I mean that the average guest probably couldn't even see it. But with trains, even nearly-invisible grades can stall a train. Indeed, if a fully-loaded train being pulled by the Holliday or Ripley had to stop on that grade, it might not be able to start again--in which case it would need to reverese to the bottom, and then get another run at it.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I am?
    Yeah, we talked about the train station elevations and grade along the route a year and 2 weeks ago.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Since I can reach my hands up and almost touch the bottom of the bridge, and given that 25 feet is a 2 story building, I'm going to say that the entrance walkway to Toontown is actually at most about 11 feet below the railroad tracks.
    Or you are a lot taller than you think and should play for the Jazz.

• Team Hail HYDRA

if the red shows changes in elevation am i right??

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  11.5 KB

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12