Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Re: Yays, Mehs, and Ughs

Quote Originally Posted by Swellpixiegirl View Post
    Yeah, special non-distracted ride queue would be sweet...
    Ooooo, I like this idea. Are you listening Disney?!

• Disney/Anime/Furry Fan

Only in America.....

I don't know about the Japanese and French Audience at both Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland Paris.

I do know that they behave better than their western counterparts.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Ryancr78 View Post
    Yay!
    --Mickey's Halloween Party was just incredible and exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds. The music, the lighting, the candy, the entertainment... The short wait times alone would've made it worth twice the ticket cost.
    Okay, I have to ask... which Halloween Party did you go to. We had the misfortune of being there Oct. 19th and our experience was beyond horrible as far as line times go. Over an hour for Haunted Mansion, almost an hour for Jungle Cruise... the only thing we got on without a wait was Winnie the Pooh... When we left we noticed that they had sold out of tickets for that night's party... My only question is how many tickets do they sell now days... We have been to parties that had sold out in Disney World years back and the crowds were no where near as bad as they were for that this night. I'm afraid we ended up making a decision that it will be the last Halloween Party we ever do at Disneyland.... We had better luck and shorter lines on the Saturday after the party than we did during the actual party.

Ugh
    --I was a little surprised by the lack of variety in the Halloween merchandise. There was tons of Nightmare Before Christmas merch all over the place in almost every store, but the DL "Mickey-ish" Halloween merchandise mostly consisted of a glowing lantern, a glowing necklace, and some grocery store bags with led lights in them. Of course, I bought all of this stuff.

--And finally, Luigi's Flying Tires was a joke. We waited only 30 minutes, and the CM who taught us how to operate the tires was quite entertaining with an obviously fake Italian accent. We hopped in our tire and threw all of our body weight to one side as the air was turned on... and then... glacially... we moved about two inches. The glacial pace lasted the entire time, and we covered maybe 20 square feet. It was a lot of physical work with no payoff. Also, there is absolutely no feeling of impact when the tires collide. Isn't that supposed to be the point? Kind of like bumper cars on an air table? If the point isn't to bump into the other tires then... what is it? Such a missed opportunity.
    I share your pain with the lack of variety in merchandise, but then the quality and variety of merchandise has been going down for quite some time now. In my youth I recalled being able to find a cool toy at Disneyland that I couldn't find outside the park... Now I'm baffled at the fact that a good deal of the junk they sell is identical to junk I can find elsewhere and for a better price... especially true of the Halloween costumes... A few years back we bought our daughter a very cool princess costume in the park, very expensive but it was much better than the cheap wear it once wal-mart costumes... now I think the ones in the park are identical to the ones at Wal-mart only more expensive.

As for the tires... your best option is to watch the tires in the group ahead, some don't seem to work that well so avoid them... then when you get on, you all need to move in concert, no need to be jerky just all lean and stay leaned and it should work.

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    So agree I refuse to buy anything that just says Dsiney Parks. I want it to be about my trip not a big company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas998 View Post
    I share your pain with the lack of variety in merchandise, but then the quality and variety of merchandise has been going down for quite some time now. In my youth I recalled being able to find a cool toy at Disneyland that I couldn't find outside the park... Now I'm baffled at the fact that a good deal of the junk they sell is identical to junk I can find elsewhere and for a better price... especially true of the Halloween costumes... A few years back we bought our daughter a very cool princess costume in the park, very expensive but it was much better than the cheap wear it once wal-mart costumes... now I think the ones in the park are identical to the ones at Wal-mart only more expensive.
    Yup. I'd say that "junk" is a pretty accurate word for 99.9% of the merchandise that they sell nowdays in the parks (and shove into beautifully themed window displays). The generic, cheap merchandise mixed with the ridiculously high prices frustrates me beyond words and removes all desire for me to purchase something. I can't remember the last time that I bought anything, minus food, at the resort.

• Sock Puppet

the cost part.. people go to the parks and then they complain about the costs of everything.. yeah it's a theme park!! there is no getting around the cost of anything at Disneyland!

• We set sail for the sky

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas998 View Post
    Okay, I have to ask... which Halloween Party did you go to. We had the misfortune of being there Oct. 19th and our experience was beyond horrible as far as line times go. Over an hour for Haunted Mansion, almost an hour for Jungle Cruise... the only thing we got on without a wait was Winnie the Pooh... When we left we noticed that they had sold out of tickets for that night's party... My only question is how many tickets do they sell now days... We have been to parties that had sold out in Disney World years back and the crowds were no where near as bad as they were for that this night. I'm afraid we ended up making a decision that it will be the last Halloween Party we ever do at Disneyland.... We had better luck and shorter lines on the Saturday after the party than we did during the actual party.
    Interesting, because we attended the party on the 19th as well. I forgot to mention that we did most of our ride riding during the first couple hours of the party, when most people were staking out for or watching the Halloween fireworks. We were able to ride Splash Mountain twice in a row with our own log and no waiting. We spent the rest of the evening riding the smaller Fantasyland rides that we hadn't ridden during the rest of our trip, and we intentionally avoided any ride that had a long line as it was our last night and time was of the essence. For the most part, it seemed that people were busy enjoying the party entertainment elements rather than waiting in line for the attractions.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    the cost part.. people go to the parks and then they complain about the costs of everything.. yeah it's a theme park!! there is no getting around the cost of anything at Disneyland!
    I don't think anyone expects Disneyland to be free or even close to it. But when you pay a high price for something you do expect to get something that at least has the appearance of being of better quality than what you would find in a Dollar Tree.

I would gladly pay more to get in if they capped the number of guest so that it wasn't as crowded, or gladly pay more for a shirt if it was thick quality cotton instead of cheap thin polyester blended garbage... I continually think that Disney buyers are clueless about quality and only focus on which supplier can find them the cheapest junk... At some point I keep hoping that they will realize that saving themselves $0.30 cents per t-shirt is costing them a lot more in sales than if they sold something decent.

•   
    • Banned User

The sad thing is, ask any retailer at a tourist based business and they'll tell you it's the small, incidental crap that sells. they stock stores with tiny, cheap crap because it sells. I'm guilty of it too. I won't walk into the timepiece store and drop $200 on a watch, but I will buy a keychain or a pin. I totally see where you're coming from and am not trying to take away from your valid point but yeah, I can see why they stock that stuff. It sells.

I forgot about another "ugh" - Hardly anything says "Disneyland" anymore. It all says "Disney Parks." Cheap and tacky.
    I never even thought about this until you said it, but you're right. Everytime I go I look for a shirt that says "Disneyland" on it. I lucked out with these ones last time but on so many other trips all I see are trendy shirts with silhouettes of Goofy or Donald, shirts devoted to specific rides, etc. It's like Andy Warhol got back into the marketing and advertising field, posthumously.

On my last trip, I had to tell two people to cool it with the flash photography, once on Pirates, once on Small World. Luckily, both times the person turned off the flash with no problem.

We also got great seats at the River Belle Terrace for Fantasmic! just to have the woman behind us turn on the light on her recording device, which annoyingly reflected off the white railing in front of us. Luckily, a CM on the pathway below noticed and asked her to turn it off, which she did with no complaint.

It's so annoying to have to ask people to turn off the flash, but luckily my experiences with people complying have been pretty positive.

Oh, and I too refuse to buy anything that reads "Disney Parks."

• -

Quote Originally Posted by LangenFox View Post
    Only in America.....

I don't know about the Japanese and French Audience at both Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland Paris.

I do know that they behave better than their western counterparts.
    I wouldn't be so sure of that. Rude people are everywhere. I have seen videos of fireworks and parades at both of these resorts and there is a sea of LCD screens there just like here as well as children hoisted up on parent's shoulders.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

So question... Is the queue for Luigi's really that good? I haven't gotten the chance to wait in the queue as the only time I have waited for Luigi's was on media preview day and we went on it first so we didn't have to wait at all so we missed the whole queue. We ended up having to ride like three or four times without getting off because Good Morining America was filming a segment and so we kept going until they were done shooting. Just wondering if this is something to be checked out on the next trip?

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    I believe that they still do the loud speaker warnings. I heard one during the early summer, my last time on POTC. But guess what? The group with us decided that the rule didn't apply to them and persisted to take flash photograph, even after the message came on several times.
    If they stopped a ride temporarily to give people that little extra warning I bet it would stick. Not only would you irritate the CM's but you'd get on the bad side of other guests, too. If word got out that you will have a ride stopped if you don't follow the rules I bet it wouldn't happen as often.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    If they stopped a ride temporarily to give people that little extra warning I bet it would stick. Not only would you irritate the CM's but you'd get on the bad side of other guests, too. If word got out that you will have a ride stopped if you don't follow the rules I bet it wouldn't happen as often.

Personally, I think that when you reach the disembarking place the CM should say "Please remain seated, everyone. Oh, except you Mr/Ms Flashy Flashbulb. You get out. But since you spoiled the ride for everyone else, THEY get to go again!"
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Personally, I think that when you reach the disembarking place the CM should say "Please remain seated, everyone. Oh, except you Mr/Ms Flashy Flashbulb. You get out. But since you spoiled the ride for everyone else, THEY get to go again!"
    That would be amazing. It's only fair because the other people on the ride don't ask for their experience to be ruined. I rode Pirates an additional time for the sheer fact that the kid behind me kept flashing every 20 seconds.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

I just wish all the noisy, flashing, texting idiots would be corralled into one boat and they could just all try to out-do each other! LOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast