Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• We set sail for the sky

Yays, Mehs, and Ughs

Yay!
    --Mickey's Halloween Party was just incredible and exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds. The music, the lighting, the candy, the entertainment... The short wait times alone would've made it worth twice the ticket cost.
    --Buena Vista Street and Cars Land were equally amazing, especially at night. It was surreal and wonderful to finally walk through those areas after viewing thousands of construction photos for the past five years.
    --Radiator Springs Racers was totally worth all the hassle of waiting in a fast pass line that stretched to the ocean.
    --Mater's Jamboree was surprisingly fun. I pity the poor CMs who have to hear Larry singing all day though.
    --The Jolly Holiday Bakery & the FF&P Cafe were awesome places for a quick breakfast.
    --The dinner menu at Carnation Cafe is superb.
    --Haunted Mansion Holiday is always delightful.

Meh
    --The new sleds on the Matterhorn are just... not good. I didn't hate the ride exactly, but it was the bumpiest, jerkiest roller coaster ride I've had in a very long time. Why must we sit on the floor with only a couple inches of hard plastic between our butts and the track? They need to add padding ASAP. Lots and lots and lots of padding.

--The new entertainment offerings at DCA are... tolerable, but they were lurking behind every corner every single time we went anywhere. Buena Vista Street? The Jonas Bros. Newsie Boys singing their NSync version of "California Here We Come." Cars Land? The loud, loud, loud DJ car thing and his equally loud female human leader. Paradise Pier? Phineas and Ferb singing some "Carpe Diem" song on a float that creepily seemed to go wherever we went, following us, like a couple of giant cartoon stalkers. Also, I like the concept of the Goofy orchestra water show thing, but when we were on the other side of the Pier and heard that "Ha! Ha! Ha!" music, we wanted to jump into the water just to make it go away.

--My favorite spot in DCA to cool off and relax, the animation building, had been hijacked with an exhibition about Frankenweenie.

Ugh
    --The cost of everything, but that pretty much goes without saying.

--I was a little surprised by the lack of variety in the Halloween merchandise. There was tons of Nightmare Before Christmas merch all over the place in almost every store, but the DL "Mickey-ish" Halloween merchandise mostly consisted of a glowing lantern, a glowing necklace, and some grocery store bags with led lights in them. Of course, I bought all of this stuff.

--Cell phone usage, talking, and flash pictures on dark rides. Just once I would like to ride through the Blue Bayou section of Pirates and listen to the crickets and the banjo strumming without hearing people talking, full voiced, to whomever they are with. Wait until the ride is over, I'm sure it can wait. Also, you're in Disneyland, most likely either on your vacation or enjoying some time away from the drudgery of the real world. Is it really necessary to text and update your Facebook status while you're on a ride? During one of our Haunted Mansion rides, we were backed up in the portrait gallery and a lady was in front of us with her two girls who looked to be about 5 or 6. They were excitedly pointing out the portraits changing and the lightning and asking their mom questions, and she spent the entire time texting with someone and completely ignoring them.

--And finally, Luigi's Flying Tires was a joke. We waited only 30 minutes, and the CM who taught us how to operate the tires was quite entertaining with an obviously fake Italian accent. We hopped in our tire and threw all of our body weight to one side as the air was turned on... and then... glacially... we moved about two inches. The glacial pace lasted the entire time, and we covered maybe 20 square feet. It was a lot of physical work with no payoff. Also, there is absolutely no feeling of impact when the tires collide. Isn't that supposed to be the point? Kind of like bumper cars on an air table? If the point isn't to bump into the other tires then... what is it? Such a missed opportunity.
    Last edited by Ryancr78; 10-22-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Re: Yays, Mehs, and Ughs

Quote Originally Posted by Ryancr78 View Post
    --Cell phone usage, talking, and flash pictures on dark rides. Just once I would like to ride through the Blue Bayou section of Pirates and listen to the crickets and the banjo strumming without hearing people talking, full voiced, to whomever they are with. Wait until the ride is over, I'm sure it can wait. Also, you're in Disneyland, most likely either on your vacation or enjoying some time away from the drudgery of the real world. Is it really necessary to text and update your Facebook status while you're on a ride? During one of our Haunted Mansion rides, we were backed up in the portrait gallery and a lady was in front of us with her two girls who looked to be about 5 or 6. They were excitedly pointing out the portraits changing and the lightning and asking their mom questions, and she spent the entire time texting with someone and completely ignoring them.
    Ugh indeed! It used to be that the random talker and the occasional camera flash were all that sullied the magic. But now, it's a whole other level, with so many folks literally addicted to their mobile device. The Blue Bayou is the ultimate example of today's abominable behavior. Where only fireflies once interrupted the mysterious darkness, there are now legions of LCD screens from cameras and phones. YUCK! I would gladly wait longer, in a separate line, for "non-distracted" -- sorta like the old "non-smoking" division in restaurants (laughable as that could sometimes be).

^I would happily wait longer for a "non-distracted" ride vehicle too! I'm guilty of iPhone addiction at times too, but I always leave my phone in the hotel room when I go to Disneyland. Why? Because I want to be free from the real world for awhile! Some people have become so A.D.D. due to their cell phone usage that they can't stand to just sit and be quiet and "smell the roses" so to speak... or in this case, "listen to the crickets."

• The doctor is in

Flash pictures on dark rides was about on my last nerve during my trip. I was on Pirates of the Caribbean and this kid who looked about 10 kept taking flash pictures the entire ride. I remember and miss the days of CM's going on a loud speaker telling people during the ride "no flash photography." It not only worked but it embarrassed them like it should.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

^^^So true! "Listen to the crickets" -- now that would look good on a T-shirt!

Seriously, I wish the CMs would be more emphatic during the loading process, because clearly the little "no flash pictures" during the recorded spiel falls on deaf ears. Flash pictures are one of my biggest Disneyland pet peeves, and there have been dozens of times when I desperately wished that a CM would intervene via the loudspeaker. It maybe happened once or twice during those dozens of times, and most of the time the offending person was able to take all of the flash pictures they wanted.

So, as a reminder that life is rarely fair, two years ago while on Haunted Mansion Holiday, I wanted to take a non-flash photo of that particular year's gingerbread house, and without realizing it I turned my flash on instead of off. Within one millisecond of taking that flash photograph, an angry CM thundered over the loud speaker: NO FLASH PICTURES!

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Ugh, we had bad POTC experiences on our trip, too. I think we rode it 3 times during our visit and every single time people in our boat would be talking really loudly the whole way through. I just want to hear the ride, guys!

As for Luigi's, maybe you were leaning too hard? I rode with my 6yr. old so I did most of the leaning and had read on here that if you lean too much it won't go. We had a good start and went faster than I expected and crashed into another tire. Unfortunately, after that we were surrounded by tires and couldn't really go anywhere else for the rest of the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    Ugh, we had bad POTC experiences on our trip, too. I think we rode it 3 times during our visit and every single time people in our boat would be talking really loudly the whole way through. I just want to hear the ride, guys!

As for Luigi's, maybe you were leaning too hard? I rode with my 6yr. old so I did most of the leaning and had read on here that if you lean too much it won't go. We had a good start and went faster than I expected and crashed into another tire. Unfortunately, after that we were surrounded by tires and couldn't really go anywhere else for the rest of the ride.
    That could've been the problem. I assumed that it would take all of our collective power to move that tire, so we were probably overdoing it. Even if the tire had moved along at a nice clip, I doubt it would have been worth the wait, however. The queue is a sight to behold though. It plucked my Pixar-loving heart strings to see the white walled tires with the curtains drawn on either side. Also, as a new Fiat 500 owner, I loved seeing the clever photo of Luigi with two of the current Fiat 500 models. Awesome touch.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    Flash pictures on dark rides was about on my last nerve during my trip. I was on Pirates of the Caribbean and this kid who looked about 10 kept taking flash pictures the entire ride. I remember and miss the days of CM's going on a loud speaker telling people during the ride "no flash photography." It not only worked but it embarrassed them like it should.
    I wish they still did those loud speaker warnings. I could have sworn I heard them warn some rowdy kids on our trip in March, but maybe it was 2011. I was waiting for the warnings during our trip a couple weeks ago with people using flash photography... so aggravating!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Avid MC reader since 2005

That could've been the problem. I assumed that it would take all of our collective power to move that tire, so we were probably overdoing it. Even if the tire had moved along at a nice clip, I doubt it would have been worth the wait, however. The queue is a sight to behold though. It plucked my Pixar-loving heart strings to see the white walled tires with the curtains drawn on either side. Also, as a new Fiat 500 owner, I loved seeing the clever photo of Luigi with two of the current Fiat 500 models. Awesome touch.
    Yeah, we rode it at night and enjoyed the lights and the music and the queue probably more than the ride! The ride itself just isn't very exciting and we wouldn't wait in a long line for it (we caught it at a time where the line was only about 25 min. but I think I'd only wait 15 or so if we did it again... and it might take a couple years before we see wait times drop there).

I forgot about another "ugh" - Hardly anything says "Disneyland" anymore. It all says "Disney Parks." Cheap and tacky.

• ~

Cell phone usage, talking, and flash pictures on dark rides. Just once I would like to ride through the Blue Bayou section of Pirates and listen to the crickets and the banjo strumming without hearing people talking, full voiced, to whomever they are with. Wait until the ride is over, I'm sure it can wait. Also, you're in Disneyland, most likely either on your vacation or enjoying some time away from the drudgery of the real world. Is it really necessary to text and update your Facebook status while you're on a ride? During one of our Haunted Mansion rides, we were backed up in the portrait gallery and a lady was in front of us with her two girls who looked to be about 5 or 6. They were excitedly pointing out the portraits changing and the lightning and asking their mom questions, and she spent the entire time texting with someone and completely ignoring them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    The Blue Bayou is the ultimate example of today's abominable behavior. Where only fireflies once interrupted the mysterious darkness, there are now legions of LCD screens from cameras and phones.
    Sadly, these comments couldn't be truer. The Blue Bayou segment is definitely the section of the ride that suffers the most from this behavior. I can't remember the last time that I rode it without someone texting, talking/joking in full voices, or receiving calls on their cell phones. The quietness and stillness that used to characterize the bayou exists only in memory.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    I believe that they still do the loud speaker warnings. I heard one during the early summer, my last time on POTC. But guess what? The group with us decided that the rule didn't apply to them and persisted to take flash photograph, even after the message came on several times.

The queue is a sight to behold though. It plucked my Pixar-loving heart strings to see the white walled tires with the curtains drawn on either side. Also, as a new Fiat 500 owner, I loved seeing the clever photo of Luigi with two of the current Fiat 500 models. Awesome touch.
    The queue was 1000x better than the actual ride.

•   
    • Minion

I thought they still did the loudspeaker warnings--I've heard them a few times over the past six months, most recently on Splash Mountain when some idiot in one of the logs ahead of ours stood up.

I was reminded while boarding Little Mermaid to make sure my flash was off on my camera, and I was glad someone was keeping an eye out for it. Just wish that same CM had been working Pirates the day the Dursleys seated in front of my family decided to blind us repeatedly with their flash! The only consolation was the crappy photos they ended up with...although looking at them, I'm not sure they knew they were crappy photos.

That group was almost as bad as the group in front of us on another ride through Pirates who loudly pointed out every flaw, missing or broken item, Hidden Mickey and whatever else they could find, all the while flailing so wildly that one of them actually nailed my hubby in the ear with their hand. Yeah, special non-distracted ride queue would be sweet...

Oh, and Luigi's sucks My daughter and I actually got ours to move pretty well, but it was still a lame ride. A spin feature would have made a big difference, at least you might come off slightly nauseated and feel like you were on a good ride.

• Minion

I forgot about another "ugh" - Hardly anything says "Disneyland" anymore. It all says "Disney Parks." Cheap and tacky.
    So agree I refuse to buy anything that just says Dsiney Parks. I want it to be about my trip not a big company.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast