Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• With The Brain Of A Bird

Re: A Mermaid and "Jonny Sailor Bold" song was added to WDW Pirates, are we next?

I think the effect is good but the placement would be wrong for Disneyland's version. My understanding is that the guest is traveling through time. The caverns are in the present where we see what's left of the pirates and their treasure. Then you pass through a dark tunnel and emerge finding yourself in the past and right in the middle of a battle. The ride up the waterfall at the end is your portal back to the present. A mermaid skeleton in the caverns might make you wonder. Did mermaids actually exist at one time? But a live mermaid appearing in the caverns would throw off the original time travel concept. If it were to be done at DL, perhaps just outside the cave near the battle would be a better place for a mermaid sighting.
    "Anything's possible at Disneyland." - Walt Disney, 1965

Re: A Mermaid and "Jonny Sailor Bold" song was added to WDW Pirates, are we next?

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    I think the effect is good but the placement would be wrong for Disneyland's version. My understanding is that the guest is traveling through time. The caverns are in the present where we see what's left of the pirates and their treasure. Then you pass through a dark tunnel and emerge finding yourself in the past and right in the middle of a battle. The ride up the waterfall at the end is your portal back to the present. A mermaid skeleton in the caverns might make you wonder. Did mermaids actually exist at one time? But a live mermaid appearing in the caverns would throw off the original time travel concept. If it were to be done at DL, perhaps just outside the cave near the battle would be a better place for a mermaid sighting.
    SUPER good point. That is actually why I kinda approved of Davy Jones... he in a way is the one that takes you "back in time" and back again at the end, which is why you hear his voice while going up the waterfall. (That is also why I really dislike Blackbeard there.... makes no sense at all... and also because it reminds me of Pirates 4, which in my opinion, really sucked... except for the Mermaids).

I do think it fits at WDW though... and being that it's another market there... I guess it justifies.
    I have a dream
    A song to sing
    To help me cope
    Trough everything

If you see the wonder
    of a FairyTale
    You can take the future
    even if you fail...

I believe in Angels
    Something good in everything I see
    I believe in Angels
    When I know the time is right for me...

I'll cross the stream.... I have a dream

• Disneyland History Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Pre-emptive strike....

I don't doubt for a second that the thought is to install the mermaids in DL's POTC and everything I have seen, experienced, and read regarding Disneyland during his Presidency just smacks of a corporate yes man.
    Well, see here's the thing. I don't know if George K. really has any say when Burbank and Imagineering make these changes. He can lobby for improved safety of the attractions, which to my understanding is what we've been seeing with things the Matterhorn and Casey Jr, but when it comes to creative changes, I don't think he has a whole lot of power. I think he's more there for the operational side of the picture rather than the creative one.

• hunter of Hidden Mickeys

the effect in the water and the mermaid skeleton are kinda cool, but I'd rather not see them in DL's POTC, that scene is my favorite and I like that its just eerie atmosphere music and normal skeletons on the beach.

• Diva Extrodinaire

I think if they just did the effect, no skeleton, instead of the Davy Jones most screen, I would be fine with it. The screen is so out of place, and the mermaids in the water would still be eerie.
    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME

• Foolish Mortal

We already have a mermaid ride. Why add a mermaid in the POTC? I say they leave it out. It looks cool and all but I say that only WDW should have it.

"So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time."- Green Day
    "The harder you work, the luckier you get."- Billie Joe Armstrong
    "This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

• Minion

It's really hard to tell from that video exactly how well it fits in the attraction. I think it could be a positive addition if done right in our version. I already think the Pirates ride is confusing as is, before all the movie additions. Between the past and the future...etc. Skeletons in the present don't drink or move.
    Jeff Wayne

• -

Quote Originally Posted by CupcakeTerror View Post
    Love the song and the Mermaid idea and it might be added in. Don't see why they wouldn't add the effect since so much of the movies have been added in. If DLR execs deem it the next change, so be it. The song is truly beautiful and gives me chills when I hear it.

Here's hoping it's a good change!
    Perhaps they should change all the scenes so that the ride better re-tells the stories of the 4 movies.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Vidia's Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ryancr78 View Post
    Oh, and maybe it's just me, but it simply doesn't make sense that we are told that dead men tell no tales, only to have Davey Jonnessssuuuhhh and Blackbeard say "Oh wait! No they do tell tales! So says I!"
    It's not just you, I say that all the time. Dead men tell no tales, the dead men that do are UNDEAD.

I could live with the mermaid changes if they got rid of the projections in the cave and maybe some of the Jack Sparrows...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Re: Mermaids and the "Jolly Sailor Bold" song was added to WDW Pirates, are we next?

I really like the effect they added, I do hope it comes to Disneyland.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Perhaps they should change all the scenes so that the ride better re-tells the stories of the 4 movies.
    Yeah, Disney should just bulldoze the building and start from scratch since the attraction probably won't resemble it's self in about 10 years.....
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Re: Mermaids and the "Jolly Sailor Bold" song was added to WDW Pirates, are we next?

Oh wow, I really hope they don't mess with ours. That would be really upsetting... I just want the ride to remain how it was when I was younger. Which means take away Jack Sparrow

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by Slappypunk View Post
    We already have a mermaid ride. Why add a mermaid in the POTC? I say they leave it out. It looks cool and all but I say that only WDW should have it.
    yeah let wdw have it. dl pirates cave is classic from the beginning. i hate to see it ruined.

I would like to see the effects in person before passing to much judgement. I don't see any issues with adding them the DL version of POTC as long as it is in the same subtle fashion that is shown in the above video.

While I am not a big fan of all of the Jack's and other movie tie-ins, I do like to see the occasional subtle changes come into place (this goes for all attractions). There is always room for improvement - if it's the right kind of improvment.

If there were never any changes, wouldn't the park become a little stale?

• We Go On.

If the movie tie-ins must stay, Here's what I propose:
    This is for the cave after the treasure room and before the battle. Keep the mist screen. Ditch the Davy/Blackbeard faces. Keep it a generic waterfall...but make the image dimmer to darken the room. Maybe add something akin to the HM seance room slides to the projection. Add the mermaid effect from WDW. Add Jolly Sailor Bold, but make the voices distant and echoey. Restore the "No fear have ye of evil curses, says you..." dialogue.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast