Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 61
  1. #46

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lo Cal
    Posts
    160

    Re: Mermaids and the "Jolly Sailor Bold" song was added to WDW Pirates, are we next?

    Let me see if I can state this tactfully... HECK NO! The only part left of the original attraction intact is the section before the ignominious mist screen. That moment after the second drop just happens to be my very favorite part of the entire resort. My Disney Bucket list is topped by my wish that POTC goes 101 at that spot after the second drop when I am on it. I could sit there for hours in complete contentment. That is hallowed ground that exists as it was originally intended.
    They have already screwed up the back half of the attraction. Leave the front half alone. If they are considering changes to this section it proves that the current regime hasn't a clue as to the philosophy of creating mood, atmosphere, and timing that the originators were so acutely utilizing. POTC takes its time to tell its story. You are traveling through time and dimensions in an alternate reality. The original pre bastardized version allowed for the guest's imagination to pick up the bits & pieces & develop their own narrative. The travesty of the second half of the current attraction with the force fed Sparrow narrative is truly a crime.
    TDA has got to stop before they completely destroy the best dark ride that has ever been created. The original POTC is the benchmark by which all others are compared. These clowns are getting behind the wheel of a Ferrari 458 & taking it off-road.
    Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

  2. #47

    • " Planet of Puddingheads"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the TARDIS
    Posts
    2,136

    Re: Mermaids and the "Jolly Sailor Bold" song was added to WDW Pirates, are we next?

    Quote Originally Posted by gomezaddams View Post
    Let me see if I can state this tactfully... HECK NO! The only part left of the original attraction intact is the section before the ignominious mist screen. That moment after the second drop just happens to be my very favorite part of the entire resort. My Disney Bucket list is topped by my wish that POTC goes 101 at that spot after the second drop when I am on it. I could sit there for hours in complete contentment. That is hallowed ground that exists as it was originally intended.
    They have already screwed up the back half of the attraction. Leave the front half alone. If they are considering changes to this section it proves that the current regime hasn't a clue as to the philosophy of creating mood, atmosphere, and timing that the originators were so acutely utilizing. POTC takes its time to tell its story. You are traveling through time and dimensions in an alternate reality. The original pre bastardized version allowed for the guest's imagination to pick up the bits & pieces & develop their own narrative. The travesty of the second half of the current attraction with the force fed Sparrow narrative is truly a crime.
    TDA has got to stop before they completely destroy the best dark ride that has ever been created. The original POTC is the benchmark by which all others are compared. These clowns are getting behind the wheel of a Ferrari 458 & taking it off-road.
    Well said.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

  3. #48

    • Goofy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    in wonderland.
    Posts
    20,657

    Re: Mermaids and the "Jolly Sailor Bold" song was added to WDW Pirates, are we next?

    Quote Originally Posted by gomezaddams View Post
    Let me see if I can state this tactfully... HECK NO! The only part left of the original attraction intact is the section before the ignominious mist screen. That moment after the second drop just happens to be my very favorite part of the entire resort. My Disney Bucket list is topped by my wish that POTC goes 101 at that spot after the second drop when I am on it. I could sit there for hours in complete contentment. That is hallowed ground that exists as it was originally intended.
    They have already screwed up the back half of the attraction. Leave the front half alone. If they are considering changes to this section it proves that the current regime hasn't a clue as to the philosophy of creating mood, atmosphere, and timing that the originators were so acutely utilizing. POTC takes its time to tell its story. You are traveling through time and dimensions in an alternate reality. The original pre bastardized version allowed for the guest's imagination to pick up the bits & pieces & develop their own narrative. The travesty of the second half of the current attraction with the force fed Sparrow narrative is truly a crime.
    TDA has got to stop before they completely destroy the best dark ride that has ever been created. The original POTC is the benchmark by which all others are compared. These clowns are getting behind the wheel of a Ferrari 458 & taking it off-road.
    good post

  4. #49

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    654

    Re: Mermaids and the "Jolly Sailor Bold" song was added to WDW Pirates, are we next?

    I would prefer a whirlpool w/kraken tentacles.

  5. #50

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    102

    Re: Mermaids and the "Jolly Sailor Bold" song was added to WDW Pirates, are we next?

    Why would they do this to a ride at a disney park? The BONES of a DEAD MERMAID? Laying in a boat? Why is she in a boat?!?! It looks like a sick version of Law and Order...Fantasy SVU. What did those other dead pirates do to her? Is this why Ariel wanted to grow feet?

    Sorry if I took things down that road but I'm nothing but creeped out by this.

    Last edited by Esteban; 10-24-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: posted to many times

  6. #51

    • Member of Baxter's Army
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Haunted Mansion
    Posts
    2,397

    Re: A Mermaid and "Jonny Sailor Bold" song was added to WDW Pirates, are we next?

    I am OK with it for the WDW version which I don't hold in the same regard as the DL Version in which I feel adding the Mermaids would hurt the "Dead men tell no Tales" aura of the scene.

  7. #52

    • -
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uijeongbu
    Posts
    6,659

    Re: Mermaids and the "Jolly Sailor Bold" song was added to WDW Pirates, are we next?

    Gee maybe they'll get rid of "yo ho, yo ho" throughout the rest of the ride and replace it with the Hans Zimmer theme.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

  8. #53

    • When Will It Return?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Valencia, CA
    Posts
    1,350

    Re: Mermaids and the "Jolly Sailor Bold" song was added to WDW Pirates, are we next?

    Quote Originally Posted by chadb14 View Post
    If there were never any changes, wouldn't the park become a little stale?
    There's an old movie with Walter Matthau and George Burns called "The Sunshine Boys" where two Vaudevillians reconnect for one more show 40 years after their heyday.

    During rehersal one of them makes a very minor change in the dialogue in a scene from "Come in." to "Enter!!!" and the other completely loses it. The one who made the change simply claims to be freshening up the show. The other doesn't think the show needs freshening up.

    He says, "You know why we haven't changed [the act] in 40 years? Because it's good."


    Theme park attractions aren't perishable items. Even the best tasting bread gets stale. Classic attractions never get stale. They don't need changes made for the sake of changes made, as this one very clearly is. Jack Sparrow in the ride I can understand, but mermaids? Really? What about that move was necessary?

    Have we possibly now reached the point where instead of the movies boosting the old, stale ride...the old, stale ride now has to boost the sagging movie franchise??

    "Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

  9. #54

    • Loves Disney
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    465

    Re: Mermaids and the "Jolly Sailor Bold" song was added to WDW Pirates, are we next?

    I only would be ok with them adding the mermaid scene is if the replaced it where the mist scene is. Make it completely dark like it was before and have the mermaid cross underneath the boat two times while the sailor boy song played.

  10. #55

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    10

    Re: Mermaids and the "Jolly Sailor Bold" song was added to WDW Pirates, are we next?

    By the sounds of 90% of the posts, I am sure my opinion on this does not match the others views here.

    But, I for one like updates to rides every once in a while. Walt him self said "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

    While the ride is no longer the original, the appeal would be outdated and more of a nostalgia ride more then a attraction if no changes or additions were completed. Do I like the Jack Sparrow extremism? Heck no, I agree with a previous poster. I hate playing where is Waldo. But what I get even more annoyed with, is how well the new Jack Sparrow looks next to his way outdated counterparts. With that said... Disney needs to continue to push the boundaries and make changes to exist! It is a breathing park, not a still framed picture in time. When ever I have been to DL version of the ride, the queue time is about 5 - 10 minutes or less! To me this says something.

    I cant imagine the harsh words the imagination team gets anytime they make a slight change. Disney fans are very fickle. But, I have liked way more then I have ever disliked... and when they make a mistake on a project, I can usually forgive them as it is often not horrid. I welcome the changes... as long as they come with thought. As change is the only thing that is ever truly constant. It makes me want to come back and create new memories.
    Last edited by zebbie; 10-25-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: spelling

  11. #56

    • Chief Troublemaker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere, out there
    Posts
    1,830

    Re: Mermaids and the "Jolly Sailor Bold" song was added to WDW Pirates, are we next?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyLoon View Post
    I only would be ok with them adding the mermaid scene is if the replaced it where the mist scene is. Make it completely dark like it was before and have the mermaid cross underneath the boat two times while the sailor boy song played.

    oooh, creepy. I like that idea. Play the song echo-y and whispery off in a corner.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

  12. #57

    • We Go On.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,793

    Re: Mermaids and the "Jolly Sailor Bold" song was added to WDW Pirates, are we next?

    ^Yup. Jump back a page, I wrote out a description of how I think that could be.

    But mermaids right after the second drop? Please, never! That's the place that's supposed to feel most chillingly dead. Mermaids would liven it up way too much.

  13. #58

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    San Leandro
    Posts
    1,799

    Re: Mermaids and the "Jolly Sailor Bold" song was added to WDW Pirates, are we next?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    Theme park attractions aren't perishable items. Even the best tasting bread gets stale. Classic attractions never get stale. They don't need changes made for the sake of changes made, as this one very clearly is. Jack Sparrow in the ride I can understand, but mermaids? Really? What about that move was necessary?
    I understand your point and find it to be valid, I am not condoning changes for the sake of changes, I would just like to see the attraction "freshened up a little" if that means adding mermaids, or additional music, lighting, etc. I'm all for it, if it is done in a sublte fashion and not smacking you in the face.

    I liked the POTC movies, but I was in no way excited about the addition of them throughout this attraction, I think that mermaids, can tie-in to the ride regardless of the movie franchise, because that is something sailors believed in or at least told stories about. All of the other movie garbage that is splashed about would be meaningless without the movies and I would be happy to see most (if not all of it go), but mermaids could stand on their own in this attraction.

    Just my opinion...

  14. #59

    • DL College Program 97/98
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    130

    Re: Mermaids and the "Jolly Sailor Bold" song was added to WDW Pirates, are we next?

    You know what POTC needs? IRON MAN. Oh, and AVATAR. Just jam 'em in there. The kids will love it.

    </sarcasm>

  15. #60

    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Notre Dame
    Posts
    2,955

    Re: Mermaids and the "Jolly Sailor Bold" song was added to WDW Pirates, are we next?

    I would like to see them in the mist screen area if they absolutely must come.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Belles, Beasts, and Beaus...The Bold and The Beautiful
    By disneymeimei in forum Gibson Girls
    Replies: 2003
    Last Post: 02-08-2006, 08:24 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •