Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

Mermaids and the "Jolly Sailor Bold" song was added to WDW Pirates, are we next?

I think we are. What say you? How do you like its implementation? To subtle? To much? I find it a little out of place myself. If anything, it would fit better in other scenes.

Should ours be different in any way? I hope so. I always thought it was cool that our pirates differed from WDW's in very specific ways.

• Monorail Junkie

Re: A Mermaid and "Jonny Sailor Bold" song was added to WDW Pirates, are we next?

I kind of like it. If they could make it fit in ours that would be cool.

• Minion

Re: A Mermaid and "Jonny Sailor Bold" song was added to WDW Pirates, are we next?

Do not want. Haven't they screwed up Pirates enough with all of this movie nonsense? (And I actually love the PotC movies, just not in the ride!)

I don't really care what they do over in WDW, because their Pirates isn't that great to begin with, but leave ours alone already!

I like it. Cool song and subtle effect. There, for people who care, easily ignored by people who don't.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

It seems subtle and small, I could take or leave it. They could do a lot worse and given enough time, they probably will.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• -

I don't care how subtle it is. I am opposed to any further bastardization of this ride with the movie nonsense. Really they should remove what is there.

If they have to make some acknowledgement of the movies on the ride somewhere, than one and only one Jack Sparrow animatronic and it should be relegated to the background. The ride should not be Where's Waldo: Jack Sparrow Edition as it is now.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• former CM

I'd like to see it in person, though I imagine it's cool from a video and photos I've seen.

The mermaid skeleton is about 2 or 3 feet too long on the tail end.
    This bothers me the way Ariel's ice cream cone hair did before it was replaced.
    What do Disney Imagineers have against mermaids?

I know the mermaids have really long tails in the movie, but most people riding POTC will have not seen the movie. (I only saw the clip from this sequel thanks to a link on this thread.)

And unless one has seen the movie, the skeleton's spine & tail bones will look waaaaaaay too long. This great Disneyland attraction should not be obedient to a disliked (according to Metacritic.com) sequel when/if the mermaids arrive here. (And I hope they do come here, but in the best form possible, not as a tribute to mediocrity. )

Last edited by jcruise86; 10-24-2012 at 04:06 PM.

• Disneyland History Lover

It's not an overt change. It's a bit weird seeing the mermaid skeleton there like that... but it fits the scenery. The mermaid in the water isn't too distracting either, but from what I can see in the video, it's not too obvious that it's a mermaid either. If I hadn't seen the movies I don't think I'd know that's what it is. The music is quite eerie, too, and makes the scene a bit more disturbing. I'd rather not see these changes implemented at Disneyland, though.

I don't post much but wow! I'm pretty sure I remember reading when a micechatter posted this same idea. Mermaids. Jolly Roger Bold song. In about the exact same spot he/she suggested it'd be. And well, here it is implemented. o_o

Although I've yet to visit WDW, I don't like the addition, because its only a matter of time before something similar is attempted at DLR POTC. I feel it is certain. I like the POTC movie trilogy but...being honest, I don't like the addition because its something from POTC4. That's just me.
    ~things are looking mighty satisfactual~

• Sshhh, being very quiet

I don't hear any music in the video and is there supposed to be something in the water during the slow motion part? Its all so subtle I don't think it would be noticed except for the keen eye.

• Goofy

naw no thanks. i dont like how it mixes there at all

---------- Post added 10-23-2012 at 01:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I don't care how subtle it is. I am opposed to any further bastardization of this ride with the movie nonsense. Really they should remove what is there.

If they have to make some acknowledgement of the movies on the ride somewhere, than one and only one Jack Sparrow animatronic and it should be relegated to the background. The ride should not be Where's Waldo: Jack Sparrow Edition as it is now.
    i wonder if people will begin to call that ride pirates of carribean the movie ride lol.

• We Go On.

The only thing that bothers me about this is the quality of the "Jolly Sailor Bold" singing. The voice is good, but almost a little too Little Mermaid and not enough, well, this:

And a reverb effect similar to the one in the clip would be nice. To make it sound more distant and less like there's someone singing in a corner.

• ~

This.

Truth be told, I love the effect for a Pirates of the Caribbean that's solely based on the movie franchise. I would say it's my favorite addition that was inspired by the movies. But the Pirates of the Caribbean that I love is not the one with movie-tie ins or Jack Sparrow animatronics or Davy Jones projections on screens of mist, and it's certainly not the one with creepy singing mermaids. Is the addition good for the current version of the attraction? I think so. But that's not the ride that I want to see in the parks. It's simply not the Pirates of the Caribbean is that I fell in love with.
    Last edited by gatheringrosebuds; 10-23-2012 at 01:30 PM.

• La Reine Lézard

I'm against this because this scene in POTC is and always has been my absolute favorite. The eerie simplicity of the quiet Yo-Ho melody and occasional seagull caw makes it creepy & unforgettable. I was so happy that the movie overlay didn't affect it at all. Please please PLEASE leave this scene alone.

• Minion

I totally agree. I really wouldn't mind so much if they just had the first Jack Sparrow that's hiding behind the dresses near the mayor dunk scene. Everything else they've got going on is just overkill.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast