Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Actors using scooters?

I am always pleased to see Jennifer in the show and admire her determination to perform since she rides a bus for 2 hours just to come to work.
    Last edited by disneyfn; 10-23-2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: missing word

• PoTC Addicted

begging to be let in the door at 33 Royal

I love the show even more when she is in it....She's one of the first people I look for and her voice elevates the show. She's awesome.

I am proud of Disney for selecting talent over look. It shows people with disabilities that you can do almost anything. I have seen her before and in my humble opinion she takes nothing away from the show.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TheDessie View Post
    I love the show even more when she is in it....She's one of the first people I look for and her voice elevates the show. She's awesome.
    I'm glad you enjoyed her performance. Though when I last saw her there I couldn't tell if she was singing or not because she was just part of the background. To me it was rather silly though to use her the way they did. If they wanted to use her on a scooter it would have made much more sense to me if they had simply built some set piece around the scooter so she was a person driving a cart with a fake donkey in front... but the simply seeing someone scoot across the stage just didn't work in my opinion.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas998 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone else noticed that in the Aladdin show there is a woman using one of those motorized scouters? Anyone know what the story is behind this, I was assuming some lawsuit or something. Seems a bit strange and kind of completely altered the scene when everyone is supposed to be acting like they are in an Arabian market place hundreds of years ago when all of a sudden someone zooms across the stage in a motorized wheelchair... Are the ADA lawsuits such a problem in California that this kind of stuff happens on a regular basis?

why would it be a lawsuit!???? that is insensitive, yes i saw her in her chair she obviously needs it and or is disabled. either way good for Disney to give her a job as one of the show people.. cool for them..

---------- Post added 10-24-2012 at 12:21 PM ----------

And you missed the point of my question... Yes it is an actor in a wheelchair, but if taken to an extreme how believable would it be to have Peter Pan played by an actor that was in a wheelchair? How about a Belle dancing with the Beast that didn't dance but rather moved around on a motorized wheelchair? Sorry, but the point of a show is to transport the viewer to another place... that can hardly be accomplished if the place is before the advent of electricity and you have an actor zipping around on a battery powered wheelchair.... or maybe you don't care that Disney casts people to play characters based on them looking like the character they are supposed to be...Would you be equally thrilled if Tiana was played by a blond haired blue eyed Scandinavian?

I have no problem with a company making accommodations for disabilities of workers... but it simply makes no sense to make this type of an accommodation for an actor.

why? becuase it ruins your viewing experience of the show??? it hasn't ruined mine or anybody elses, she is great singer and actress! i love seeing her in the show! she does not take away from it at all. And i think that your posts are very insensitive and insulting.

I'm glad you enjoyed her performance. Though when I last saw her there I couldn't tell if she was singing or not because she was just part of the background. To me it was rather silly though to use her the way they did. If they wanted to use her on a scooter it would have made much more sense to me if they had simply built some set piece around the scooter so she was a person driving a cart with a fake donkey in front... but the simply seeing someone scoot across the stage just didn't work in my opinion.
    why?? it's not silly.. and if you didn't like the show you should of left then. sorry it ruined your viewing pleasure, but i think it's great Disney employees her. And she does not take away from the scene at all! she has talent! She doesn't need to stand on her own two feet to have talent, you can have talent in any walk of life.
    Last edited by Poisonedapples; 10-24-2012 at 11:24 AM.

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

It would be an ENTIRELY different situation if she sang very well, but didn't didn't hire her just just because she was in a wheelchair. Disney could be hit with a lawsuit of discrimination. Luckily, she is very talented and got a job at Disney!
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    why would it be a lawsuit!???? that is insensitive, yes i saw her in her chair she obviously needs it and or is disabled. either way good for Disney to give her a job as one of the show people.. cool for them..

why? becuase it ruins your viewing experience of the show??? it hasn't ruined mine or anybody elses, she is great singer and actress! i love seeing her in the show! she does not take away from it at all. And i think that your posts are very insensitive and insulting.

why?? it's not silly.. and if you didn't like the show you should of left then. sorry it ruined your viewing pleasure, but i think it's great Disney employees her. And she does not take away from the scene at all! she has talent! She doesn't need to stand on her own two feet to have talent, you can have talent in any walk of life.
    Once again, Poisonapples beats me to it and steals words from my mouth. I agree with her.

I have always enjoyed that show and never found the scooter a bit distracting. Not one bit.

Gosh, this makes me want to go catch this show this weekend. I haven't seen it in a while.
    Last edited by clara; 10-24-2012 at 01:42 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post

And I accept that you didn't find the scooter to be a distraction... but why do you find it so hard to accept that others might find it distracting? If the amount of hatred that is spewed against my simple question and statement of my own opinion is any indication, then I suspect that most people that share my opinion are simply afraid to voice it.

• Disgruntled Former CM

Cool Re: Actors using scooters?

Dear Original Poster:

I am sorry that the talented performer in the mobility device did not allow you to be "transported to another time and place, an Arabian marketplace hundreds of years ago..."

Did the Disney story of Aladdin take place hundreds of years ago? In the last century? a decade ago? Who is to say...

Spoiler
    The Genii is wearing a bald cap and (gasp!) make-up. The "magic carpet" is held up (most of the time) by cables. The actors' costumes are attached with zippers and velcro. Most wear wigs. The lighting is all artificial. The great sound is brought to you by microphones on the actors, amplified through speakers; the music is recorded. Need I go on?
    Peter Pan was played by a middle-aged woman, yes a woman, on Broadway for years (i'm refering to Mary Martin of course; Cathy would kill me if she heard me refer to her as 'middle-aged"... she still has better abs than anyone i know!)

The young lady's mode of transportation only jarred me for a moment before I thought "how lovely!". However, I had the opportunity once to see several young visitors - also in mobility devices - watch wide-eyed as this talented performer transported them to another time and place: an age when people were judged by their talents and attributes, rather than their perceived limitations.

My father used to tell us about how Tinkerbell was played (in the 60's) by a woman in a full lime green body cast; she flew through the air nightly from the top of the Matterhorn to the backstage area during the summer fireworks.
    Last edited by EvilQueen; 10-24-2012 at 12:44 PM.
    "I've got the heart of a child..." - I keep it in a box, next to my bed...

• Senior Minion

...I suspect that most people that share my opinion are simply afraid to voice it.
    Fear has nothing to do with it. The fact that the overwhelming majority of people do not share your opinion has everything to do with it.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Well, I'm ready to get lynched here but I kindof agree with the OP. The first (and only) time I saw the lady in the wheelchair my first thoughts were 'Wow, Disney only hired her because shes in a wheelchair' Yes, those thoughts may not be true, but they were what I originally though. To me, it is a slight distraction from the show. A character could never be in a wheelchair, imagine meeting Snow White in a wheelchair? It wouldn't work.

What I do like however is that they have tried to theme her wheelchair in the show.

I'm not bashing her at all and I'm sure shes an amazing singer (I've never actually heard her on her own), but it does jar the show for me slightly.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post

And who knows how many kids in that audience that have some sort of disability or illness, whether it's cancer, asthma, being in a wheelchair, etc. will look at that wonderful actress and be inspired.
    This! If they cannot see it at a Disney Park, then where? I commend DLR for setting a trend.

And props to the ppl who have pointed out mics, wires, etc. Same thing.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Entertainment is one of the few industries where discrimination based on weight, age, skin color mobility... ANYthing... is considered totally fine and understood.

I doubt that this could or would be forced on Disney, because it would be so hard to prove that she would be better than someone who is more mobile. I'm pretty sure Disney just auditioned a great singer and chose her.

• I'm a fiddle player......

awesome singer not a distraction to me

• Sshhh, being very quiet

And I accept that you didn't find the scooter to be a distraction... but why do you find it so hard to accept that others might find it distracting? If the amount of hatred that is spewed against my simple question and statement of my own opinion is any indication, then I suspect that most people that share my opinion are simply afraid to voice it.
    I have been watching the show since 2004 and been on these boards and other Disneyland groups/forums/etc... since about the same time and have NEVER heard this subject brought up. Now, granted, I may just have missed those discussions but I've never been a part of it. Nor have I ever heard people talking about the chair being a distraction after the actual show.

If most people do share your opinion, they are probably few and don't let it ruin a good show with talented performers.

And I have yet to see "hatred spewed" as you put it. I see difference of opinion but no hatred spewing.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast