Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Actors using scooters?

Quote Originally Posted by fatewouldja View Post

Well at least that's changing.

Paris Tiana speaking Spanish.
    Thats in Paris, the language issue is completely different there compared with Anaheim

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I'll reiterate a question posed earlier in the thread: for those who agree with the OP, is it the electric wheelchair, or the fact that the actress is IN a wheelchair that bothers you? If the actress were given a "historically accurate" model would you feel better about it and be less distracted? There were of course people with mobility impairments present in all historical time periods and countries...

I still wonder if a lot of the discomfort is the latter and not the former. Why haven't we ever seen a film hero in a wheelchair? Certainly there are wheelchair bound folks who are talented, good looking and charming enough to pull it off. Society tends to equate disability with unattractiveness and assume that the disabled can't be talented...ergo all the folks who assume this actress was hired because of a lawsuit.

Disney is breaking these stereotypes by hiring people based on talent, and for this I applaud them.
    It isn't the fact that she is disabled, it is the motorized zippy cart that is completely out of touch with the show. If she was simply dragging herself on the ground as she would have been doing in that time period it would not be so jarring. As it is it is a bit like watching a civil war reenactment and suddenly one of the soldiers makes a dash across the field on a dirt bike. It simply goes against what should exist at that time.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    If Disney only had one adaptation of the Cinderella story, that might seem fairly reasonable. But they have two, including the 1997 TV adaptation, wherein Cinderella is portrayed as African American, by the beautiful Brandy Norwood.

You'd seriously have a problem seeing an African American Cinderella in the parks? If so, you need to ask yourself why.

If the various characters that Disney presents in its entertainments are truly "timeless and universal," then casting can be fluid and ever-changing when it comes to portraying the characters, and why not? This is fiction, after all. This is not realism. The Arabia of Aladdin is not an authentic or historically accurate portrayal of any actual Arabic society, in any previous century. Aladdin is not an historical figure. Aladdin is a fantasy, and Disney's 1992 animated film is a clearly Hollywoodized version of that fantasy. The notion that anyone is "being transported to an authentic place and time" in human history when viewing either the film or the stage show is a load of hooey. That place never existed in reality. Flying carpets and blue genies aren't real. So getting one's knickers in a twist over seeing an actress in a motorized wheelchair in a stage production of a fantasy is a sure sign that. . .

good post!

Quote Originally Posted by EvilQueen View Post
    Dear Original Poster:

I am sorry that the talented performer in the mobility device did not allow you to be "transported to another time and place, an Arabian marketplace hundreds of years ago..."

Did the Disney story of Aladdin take place hundreds of years ago? In the last century? a decade ago? Who is to say...

Spoiler
    The Genii is wearing a bald cap and (gasp!) make-up. The "magic carpet" is held up (most of the time) by cables. The actors' costumes are attached with zippers and velcro. Most wear wigs. The lighting is all artificial. The great sound is brought to you by microphones on the actors, amplified through speakers; the music is recorded. Need I go on?
    Peter Pan was played by a middle-aged woman, yes a woman, on Broadway for years (i'm refering to Mary Martin of course; Cathy would kill me if she heard me refer to her as 'middle-aged"... she still has better abs than anyone i know!)

The young lady's mode of transportation only jarred me for a moment before I thought "how lovely!". However, I had the opportunity once to see several young visitors - also in mobility devices - watch wide-eyed as this talented performer transported them to another time and place: an age when people were judged by their talents and attributes, rather than their perceived limitations.

My father used to tell us about how Tinkerbell was played (in the 60's) by a woman in a full lime green body cast; she flew through the air nightly from the top of the Matterhorn to the backstage area during the summer fireworks.
    EvilQueen (author of post 24 on page 2 with spoilers), thy name is most ironic! good post!
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 10-25-2012 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Site rule violation

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas998 View Post
    It isn't the fact that she is disabled, it is the motorized zippy cart that is completely out of touch with the show.
    Zippy cart??? Seriously? It is a powered wheelchair, not a "zippy cart". The young woman involved has a form of muscular dystrophy.
    If she was simply dragging herself on the ground as she would have been doing in that time period it would not be so jarring. As it is it is a bit like watching a civil war reenactment and suddenly one of the soldiers makes a dash across the field on a dirt bike. It simply goes against what should exist at that time.
    Are you as disturbed by the wires that assist Aladdin to fly? You are aware this period of time did not actually exist. I am sorry to break this to you, but Genie's didn't come from magic lamps, in fact, there weren't any magic lamps. You do know Agrabah is a fictional location. And the show is "Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular". The actress involved is a spectacular vocalist. She fits perfectly into the role.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    Couldn't have said this better myself. And yes, as others have stated, she was hired for her talent.

The show requires that you ignore a man holding the bird puppet... certainly the lady in the wheelchair isn't too much more of a stretch in terms of "suspension of disbelief".
    Bold mine.

Seriously, if a young woman in a wheelchair cosmetically themed to the show disturbs you so much, then I suggest you take advantage of all of the other various entertainment venues the resort has to offer and stay away from Aladdin. I know when there is a ride, or show or something at the park I don't particularly enjoy I just stay away from it and do something else.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Zippy cart??? Seriously? It is a powered wheelchair, not a "zippy cart". The young woman involved has a form of muscular dystrophy. Are you as disturbed by the wires that assist Aladdin to fly? You are aware this period of time did not actually exist. I am sorry to break this to you, but Genie's didn't come from magic lamps, in fact, there weren't any magic lamps. You do know Agrabah is a fictional location. And the show is "Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular". The actress involved is a spectacular vocalist. She fits perfectly into the role.
    Well if the wires were huge cables, it would be distracting... There is a reason they use as thin of a wire as possible, so that it doesn't distract from the show... there is also a reason they dress the guy holding the puppet in black, so he isn't distracting. You simply refuse to accept that she could be made less distracting, for what reason I have no idea.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Seriously, if a young woman in a wheelchair cosmetically themed to the show disturbs you so much, then I suggest you take advantage of all of the other various entertainment venues the resort has to offer and stay away from Aladdin. I know when there is a ride, or show or something at the park I don't particularly enjoy I just stay away from it and do something else.
    I agree

Well if the wires were huge cables, it would be distracting... There is a reason they use as thin of a wire as possible, so that it doesn't distract from the show... there is also a reason they dress the guy holding the puppet in black, so he isn't distracting. You simply refuse to accept that she could be made less distracting, for what reason I have no idea.
    I think at this point you are just being insensitive and letting something that actually isn't that bad get blown out of proportion. I think I've said before that I've seen this show many many times and never found her wheelchair a distraction. It's a show. As Penguinsoda pointed out, maybe you should try to take advantage of the other entertainment.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    I think at this point you are just being insensitive and letting something that actually isn't that bad get blown out of proportion. I think I've said before that I've seen this show many many times and never found her wheelchair a distraction. It's a show. As Penguinsoda pointed out, maybe you should try to take advantage of the other entertainment.
    One could make the same observation about you and your near militant stance that anyone daring to accept your opinion that the scooter isn't distracting get your feathers in such a ruff.

You might consider that your opinion isn't the end all be all word of God, it is simply an opinion. My opinion differs. Maybe if you are so upset with people that don't share your opinion on the subject you should stop reading posts that seem to upset you so much.

You do know that being tolerant is a two way street right? I tolerate your view and you need to tolerate my view whether you agree or not, it makes life so much better... and if we all shared the same views life would be rather boring now wouldn't it?

• Sshhh, being very quiet

One could make the same observation about you and your near militant stance that anyone daring to accept your opinion that the scooter isn't distracting get your feathers in such a ruff.

You might consider that your opinion isn't the end all be all word of God, it is simply an opinion. My opinion differs. Maybe if you are so upset with people that don't share your opinion on the subject you should stop reading posts that seem to upset you so much.

You do know that being tolerant is a two way street right? I tolerate your view and you need to tolerate my view whether you agree or not, it makes life so much better... and if we all shared the same views life would be rather boring now wouldn't it?
    Feathers aren't in a ruff, that is for sure. And since you mention it, I most certainly do not think my word is the end all word of God.

And by the act of reading all the comments in here I am tolerant of everyone's opinion and shared my own.

Thanks for bringing up an obviously different opinionated topic and even though things were suggested on how to make the show more enjoyable for you, I hope you can find other forms of entertainment in the park that don't include distractions for you.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Honestly didn't even notice her wheelchair in the play the last time that we saw it.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have seen the Aladdin show probably about 3 0r 4 times at the most, and I do remember noticing the wheelchair actor. I only remember noticing the fact that someone in the show was in a wheelchair. It didn't strike me as odd, or distract me at all. It was just a moment's notice, and then the enjoyment of the show continued.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion whether we agree or not. And that should go both ways in a discussion.

Would I find this actress more distracting than someone without a wheel chair? Yes. But not enough to affect my enjoyment of the show at all. But the fact that it is slightly unusual and out of character makes itm understandable that it may affect some people's experience of the show.

I dont think any of the posts in this thread deserve any hate or anger. Opinions are just opinions and everyone seems to be stating theirs politely. As to OP's original and valid question: no disney did not have to hire her. Disney is allowed to cast however they like when it comes to shows. They can specify anything they want in an actor from race, height, weight, gender etc. She was likely hired for her talent and the choice to overlook her disabilities was Disney's and Disney's alone.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

Me and my friend have found the electric wheel chair distracting as well. And my friend suffers from Multiple Sclerosis and visits Disneyland in a wheel chair himself. We had zero issues with the actress being disabled, just the stage productions choice of using a poorly themed electric wheel chair. I know they have electric mic's and puppeteers but those are common to theater and you get accustomed to it. Even expected. But overall, its not enough for me to not wanna see the show over and over. Its very minor. I would have way more of a problem if Aladdin or Jasmine was pitchy in their singing.

I can understand the OP question if this was a ADA issue cause Disney has been hit with lawsuits in the past. Most major corporation do. Thankfully thats not the case.

And I must be honest here, but I have never heard her voice distinctly enough to say "I've heard her sing". Maybe if she had a solo, i would say otherwise, but it's overpowered by Aladdin and the main characters. Now i wish she did have a solo, a brief one even. Love a good voice.

Lastly, I am not happy to see how harshly the OP has been treated here. Not by the opinions themselves but by way they were expressed in tone as well as the solutions offered to him.

• Batman with a Gun

Bel Air, California, United States, United States

Here's the fun twist.
    You HAVE heard her sing solo. You just didn't know it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    I can understand the OP question if this was a ADA issue cause Disney has been hit with lawsuits in the past. Most major corporation do. Thankfully thats not the case.
    ADA would only come into the picture if the person doing the job has a disability that is not accommodated. The worker could sue if she was discriminated against.

There is more protection on Disney's part since there is freedom to cast someone appropriate to the part. In this case, there could be no grounds to sue if the performance required an able bodied person.

Disability and Discrimination are both important issues that are sidelined in this case.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast