Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

• Minion

Re: Follow Up On The Issue Of ECV Abuse At Disneyland Park

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    Look, there's a problem w/ ECV and I am sure you'd agree.
    Well, you'd be mistaken on that count.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Six years ago my hubby was on a motorcycle ride with buddies and was rear-ended by a truck. Now he has a permanent spine injury. About a year after this, he had a stroke. Now he has trouble with his legs. Can he walk? Yes, but not very far. If it were not for the mobility scooter we bought about 5 years ago we would not be able to go to places like Disneyland or WDW again.

Do these disabilities show? No, and sometimes he needs to get off the scooter and walk for a bit and I ride it. He uses a cane at this time and it is slow and painful.

He is very cognizant of others around him while he is running the scooter - usually on Turtle Speed because of the crowd. People constantly cut in front of him and give a dirty look if the scooter touches the back of their leg because he couldn't stop fast enough - and it almost stops on a dime.

Do we get special treatment? Well, the cast members are very friendly and helpful when we show up at the exits of rides. We indicate we have no problem waiting however long it takes. Big Thunder has the handicap line at the exit, in full sunlight, no shade. Once in the spring, we waited about 20 minutes. )Well, I waited in the line and sent hubby to the shade.) The line never moved. I finally overheated and we left to ride another time. Not complaining here, just stating facts.

Most of the handicap entrances are quite slow, except for some of the Fantasyland rides like Pinocchio and Snow White and Alice. Again, just facts.

Now DCA has intregrated the handicap into the regular queues. Another fact: Toy Story Mania: Once the handicap person reaches the point where the "regular" guest would load, they are sent to the far end of the building for the special loading cars. So, while you are now riding and playing, we are still waiting for the special car. Again, just facts, not complaining.

It baffles me why there is so much animosity for the handicap who need to use these special scooters and chairs. Yes, there are abusers. There always will be people who try to beat the system. But, if they really looked at the wait times, they would find they really aren't saving anything or getting away with anything.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    It baffles me why there is so much animosity for the handicap who need to use these special scooters and chairs. Yes, there are abusers. There always will be people who try to beat the system. But, if they really looked at the wait times, they would find they really aren't saving anything or getting away with anything.
    Agreed!
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

•   
    • Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    As I understand it, the bumps are for blind people, so there's a change in the feel of the sidewalk/what their canes hit and they have some warning before there's a curb.
    Great, thank you. Now someone please explain the braille dots on the drive-through ATM. ( Driver's side, mind you. ) I've been waiting for an explanation on that for a long time.

We indicate we have no problem waiting however long it takes.
    Bingo, you hit the nail on the head right there. Those who have animosity about this whole issue in the first place seem to all about how it's become a fast-pass to the front of the line. The few people who actually fake disability come to the park with the intent of using it as a fast-pass to the front of every line. Meanwhile, responsible people like you and your husband only use the status to enter through a different gate. By choosing to wait on your own as if in line, you are actively defusing any such animosity. Come to think of it, if everyone with a disability status did that it would also remove the incentive for the fakers since that ship will have sailed on their shenanigans.

Seriously you guys deserve some kind of award for this - you have my respect at any rate.

•   
    • Minion

Agreed. Well said.

---------- Post added 11-07-2012 at 04:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    Great, thank you. Now someone please explain the braille dots on the drive-through ATM. ( Driver's side, mind you. ) I've been waiting for an explanation on that for a long time.
    Easy. You're driving Grandma or a friend or someone else who reads Braille to the ATM, they lean over you and put in their passcode. The blind can't drive but they can certainly be in the passenger seat and do that. It's a lot safer for them to key in the code than having to give their personal code to someone else. Depending on the person, having them use the drive-in that way might be safer than having them try to walk across a parking lot or use a standalone ATM where they might not be able to see or sense someone standing behind them watching them put their code into the machine.

Bottom line is that there are always reasons for accessible features even if the reasons are not always apparent to those who don't need them.
    Last edited by Malina; 11-07-2012 at 04:50 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post

---------- Post added 11-07-2012 at 04:49 PM ----------

Easy. You're driving Grandma or a friend or someone else who reads Braille to the ATM, they lean over you and put in their passcode. The blind can't drive but they can certainly be in the passenger seat and do that. It's a lot safer for them to key in the code than having to give their personal code to someone else. Depending on the person, having them use the drive-in that way might be safer than having them try to walk across a parking lot or use a standalone ATM where they might not be able to see or sense someone standing behind them watching them put their code into the machine.

Bottom line is that there are always reasons for accessible features even if the reasons are not always apparent to those who don't need them.
    It's even easier than that. My sister runs the ATM department at a large bank, and works closely with the companies that manufactures the units. The simple truth is that it would be prohibitively expensive to manufacture separate Braille and non-Braille keyboards, so they just use the Braille ones for both drive-up and walk-up units. It costs them the same as it would to make only non-Braille keyboards, and less than it would to make both. Forget la femme; cherchez l'argent.

•   
    • Banned User

Thank you, that second explanation is one I believe. The chances of them NEEDING braille at a drive up ATM for the .00001% chance that there's a blind person in the back seat is too distant of a grab given the expense to equip all machines like that.

....but them making 100% of the machines like that to begin with? Now that makes sense.

I am the parent of two young children with Autism. As a parent of two children with Autism, let me tell you about some of the perks of the job

• Years in speech therapy learning to talk
    • 1 hour to 6 hour long meltdowns when we forget to prep for events with social stories or routines change unexpectedly
    • 4 years (and counting) of potty training per child
    • Explaining to random people in public places that I am actually doing a fine job parenting, my child just has Autism and becomes upset for reasons I can't explain

Further, children with Autism don't "dislike crowds" they have sensory processing difficulty. Every sound, touch, etc is magnified times 1000. It's overstimulating to be a crowded line with people bumping into you for hours. It's overwhelming to be touched. My kids love Disneyland but we would never make it through a trip without the GAC.
    My kids get excluded from many things because of Autism. And when I hear the typical kids at their school making negative comments about the things they can't or shouldn't be doing I know that there is a parent out there who is like you.
    Presumably you are a parent. Are you seriously saying that if your child had a disability you would exclude them from participating in activities that bring them joy just because it could be perceived as a perk. Or maybe you would choose to stand in line for hours with a screaming child for hours so that nobody missed their turn. But I doubt it. You would do what we all do; enjoy those little windows of joy with your child at Disney and take the pass because, if given the choice, most people probably wouldn't choose to stand next to the screaming child in line. Have some compassion and put yourself in my shoes. Autism isn't a perk. It makes every day hard. kuddos to Disneyland for promoting inclusion.
    I can only hope that one day everyone will be so accepting!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas998 View Post
    I think there is too much of the entitlement mentality that is becoming acceptable when you

say someone with autism that doesn't like crowds or someone that is allergic to sunlight... I'm sorry but if you can't take the sunlight or you can't be around noisy crowded places then you really shouldn't be going to Disneyland or any other amusement park. Should we next set up special places on the beach where no one is allowed to play and have fun because it might upset someone that doesn't like noise? Should we set up large canopies that cover the entire beach so people that can't take sunlight can still go there?

I'm sorry, but life isn't fair... we aren't all able to deal with the world as it is, but it doesn't mean that everyone has to change the world to suit a few that can't deal with it... at some point parents need to simply accept that their kid isn't like other kids and change what they do as a family to have fun instead of trying to force the world to change to them... I have a daughter that as very poor coordination should I sue the local school and force them to allow her to play basketball when she can't dribble a ball?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jrstpken View Post
    Presumably you are a parent. Are you seriously saying that if your child had a disability you would exclude them from participating in activities that bring them joy just because it could be perceived as a perk.
    We have come so far here in the US. It was only 30-50 years ago we DID exclude people with disabilities. People saw those with disabilities as a negative, and it was easier to keep them hidden in asylums and hospitals. It was also difficult to take them places, because most places weren't accessible. But there are some people who do think we should go backwards.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Jrstpken, I really hope you don't think everyone on here is an unaccepting jerk, this thread in particular was especially harsh. The quote you have there was err- agressive, as a nice way of putting it, and even those who agree with him wouldn't be so rude. I worked closely with autistic children for much of my life, and I completely understand needing a GAC to enjoy yourselves. The thread was originally started protesting people with no reason to use them at all. Which can inhibit everyone's fun, unless you ignore it, which is easier said than done.

•   
    • So fetch

Quote Originally Posted by Jrstpken View Post
    I am the parent of two young children with Autism. As a parent of two children with Autism, let me tell you about some of the perks of the job

• Years in speech therapy learning to talk
    • 1 hour to 6 hour long meltdowns when we forget to prep for events with social stories or routines change unexpectedly
    • 4 years (and counting) of potty training per child
    • Explaining to random people in public places that I am actually doing a fine job parenting, my child just has Autism and becomes upset for reasons I can't explain

Further, children with Autism don't "dislike crowds" they have sensory processing difficulty. Every sound, touch, etc is magnified times 1000. It's overstimulating to be a crowded line with people bumping into you for hours. It's overwhelming to be touched. My kids love Disneyland but we would never make it through a trip without the GAC.
    My kids get excluded from many things because of Autism. And when I hear the typical kids at their school making negative comments about the things they can't or shouldn't be doing I know that there is a parent out there who is like you.
    Presumably you are a parent. Are you seriously saying that if your child had a disability you would exclude them from participating in activities that bring them joy just because it could be perceived as a perk. Or maybe you would choose to stand in line for hours with a screaming child for hours so that nobody missed their turn. But I doubt it. You would do what we all do; enjoy those little windows of joy with your child at Disney and take the pass because, if given the choice, most people probably wouldn't choose to stand next to the screaming child in line. Have some compassion and put yourself in my shoes. Autism isn't a perk. It makes every day hard. kuddos to Disneyland for promoting inclusion.
    I can only hope that one day everyone will be so accepting!!
    I feel you. My twins have sensory and speech issues which made our last trip with to them to the parks (the first since their diagnosis) a little traumatic due to rude cast members at Ariel's Grotto. We utilize the GAC for them too which helped us go on the 2 attractions they were willing to try. If you look at them you would assume they were normal 4 years old who shouldn't have a GAC . Trust me, I wish we didn't need to utilize the GAC to take them to the parks but it allows us to share the magic of Disneyland with them.

Tell me about it. I would love to be able to stand in line like everybody else. I guess I like to think we have come so far in educating the general public but I just can't believe some people really think that way. It is very sad to run across posts like that.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvsLilo View Post
    I feel you. My twins have sensory and speech issues which made our last trip with to them to the parks (the first since their diagnosis) a little traumatic due to rude cast members at Ariel's Grotto. We utilize the GAC for them too which helped us go on the 2 attractions they were willing to try. If you look at them you would assume they were normal 4 years old who shouldn't have a GAC . Trust me, I wish we didn't need to utilize the GAC to take them to the parks but it allows us to share the magic of Disneyland with them.

• Big Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by LuvsLilo View Post
    Parenting autistic kids involves a lot of unpleasant surprises. Events you expect them to love can leave them freaking out. Two stand out in my memory: The first was a 4th of July fireworks display that left my son screaming under a blanket. The other was a trip to the theater to see Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back when it first came out. He did alright until the scene with the At Ats attacking the base on Hoth, then freaked out. We had to abandon the theater with our pricey drinks and popcorn. It was just too much stimulation. He's 36yo now, and outgrew those hypersensitivities by the time he reached his teens, so there's hope.
    Disney Fan in the Great White North

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567