Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disneyland Hotel Check-In Magazines

Want to share some pictures from an early magazine put out by the Disneyland Hotel called "Check-In". This magazine, near as I can guess ran from 1965 until 1973...or at least I have issues from this time range.

First photos show something very interesting. It was possible to take a Monorail ride from the Disneyland Hotel into Disneyland and back to the Hotel Station. It cost $1 to do this with no stopover inside Disneyland. Talk about torture!

The pictures from the magazine are not the best quality but I did the best I could to optimize them. I made many scans so this thread could carry out depending on interest.

---------- Post added 10-23-2012 at 08:02 PM ----------

Photo was taken at the stairs to the Monorail at the Disneyland Hotel.

---------- Post added 10-23-2012 at 08:33 PM ----------

Here is one of the tower annex construction from 1965.

---------- Post added 10-23-2012 at 08:37 PM ----------

Mustang car club meeting at the Disneyland Hotel in 1966.

Last edited by oldhotelguy; 10-23-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Re: Disneyland Hotel Check-In Magazines

Thanks for posting that, OHG. Always fun peeking into the past with your wonderful discoveries. And the round-trip on the monorail (in the tail-cone) was offered as late as 1994 (not sure when this stopped). I used to take these rides as a poor college student to get my Disneyland "fix" -- and yes, it was rather torturous to be inside Disneyland, and yet not! As I recall, the price of the ticket back in the early 90's was around $2, a mere pittance compared to park admission. Interesting that the price of a round-trip shown in the photos from the magazine (back in the late 60s, perhaps?) was almost a quarter of the cost of an entire "Big 10" ticket book. Thanks again for sharing these fun views of yesteryear!

Next one is really neat because it shows inside of a rare building at the Disneyland Hotel. The building is in the spot that would later house the Plaza Building. In its early iteration, it served as a restroom for the pool and offices for the various staff members at the Hotel. First is an overhaed showing the building's exterior followed by the internal shot.

---------- Post added 10-23-2012 at 09:01 PM ----------

The above picture contains some great detail namely; cinder block walls, Nov. 65 calendar and a poster detailing the 1965 Disneyland Hotel expansion program.

^^^^Ahhh...wonderful!

• Hooterville, USA

And, three hot looking babes!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Many different modes of transportation within the Disneyland Hotel circa 1965.

• Senior Minion

Great pictures!! Interesting to note the caption error beneath the Hotel Tram photo: the tram didn't take you around the hotel grounds, it went to Disneyland. The bellhops had electric carts to take you around the hotel.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Great pictures!! Interesting to note the caption error beneath the Hotel Tram photo: the tram didn't take you around the hotel grounds, it went to Disneyland. The bellhops had electric carts to take you around the hotel.

Actually another error as well. Wrather leased 60 acres not 40. Now they may have meant what they were using at the time but, given this was 1965, it was the whole 60 acres with the heliport, mini-golf course and driving range. In fact, I have no other reference listing it as having 40 acres. Maybe they just meant 40 acres of grounds not including the other areas. Huh?

• Senior Minion

^ I think you're right -- that they were referring just to the contiguous grounds.

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    Thanks for posting that, OHG. Always fun peeking into the past with your wonderful discoveries. And the round-trip on the monorail (in the tail-cone) was offered as late as 1994 (not sure when this stopped). I used to take these rides as a poor college student to get my Disneyland "fix" -- and yes, it was rather torturous to be inside Disneyland, and yet not! As I recall, the price of the ticket back in the early 90's was around $2, a mere pittance compared to park admission. Interesting that the price of a round-trip shown in the photos from the magazine (back in the late 60s, perhaps?) was almost a quarter of the cost of an entire "Big 10" ticket book. Thanks again for sharing these fun views of yesteryear!
    I saw a simiar sign and it was only 75 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    And, three hot looking babes!
    Ha! I was just thinking that about the gals in the Mustang car club photo!

Great stuff as always OHG, thank you for posting!
    Everytime I see pictures of the Disneyland Hotel from the old days, it makes me miss something that I was too young to have experienced, or not even born yet.

Makes me want to sip gin and tonics or martinis in the lounge, wearing a cozy cardigan and chatting with some lovely ladies with big fabulous hair!

Quote Originally Posted by whitestrat View Post
    Ha! I was just thinking that about the gals in the Mustang car club photo!

Great stuff as always OHG, thank you for posting!
    Everytime I see pictures of the Disneyland Hotel from the old days, it makes me miss something that I was too young to have experienced, or not even born yet.

Makes me want to sip gin and tonics or martinis in the lounge, wearing a cozy cardigan and chatting with some lovely ladies with big fabulous hair!
    I feel the same way! It would be awesome to re-create at least part of the Disneyland Hotel in some sort of authentic, vintage fashion.

Here is a really rare shot of KEZY which broadcast live from the Disneyland Hotel.

---------- Post added 10-26-2012 at 08:04 PM ----------

Here are a couple more of what I consider to be extra special photos of some pretty neat people from Disney's past at the Disneyland Hotel. I have several of Walt Disney at the Disneyland Hotel but had none of his brother Roy....until now! Look at the sheet music on the rack. Wonder whom was responsible for that music?

---------- Post added 10-26-2012 at 08:05 PM ----------

Why the Sherman Brothers of course!

---------- Post added 10-26-2012 at 08:07 PM ----------

Just what was this special occasion that brought out Roy O. Disney and the Sherman brothers? Well, here you go from 1965.....

• Senior Minion

Great stuff, Don!!! Like millions of other KMPC listeners in the 60s, I was a big fan of Dick Whittinghill's morning show. He was a truly great radio personality, very funny guy. I'll never forget the shock of that December morning in 1966 when I first heard about Walt's death on KMPC, and how utterly devastated Whittinghill's voice sounded.

- Neil Gabler

In the picture of the Sherman Brothers above, Robert may have a smile on his face, but not in his hand!
    Last edited by Werner; 10-27-2012 at 01:20 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast