Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Lego Peoplemover Priit

Re: Tom Hanks to play Walt at Disneyland!

I am so excited. This sounds like a great movie idea!

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteMortKvsh View Post
    This is interesting, so many things have changed since that time: trees, paint, characters ....tons more. I can not wait to see how they will go about doing this.

This movie has very little to do with DL itself, but it will contain a few key locations and anchor a prime scene or two. Very few ppl watching the final cut of the film in theaters will hardly recognize any historical accuracy in the park. However, the ppl will make the scene, inc the walk-ons and background actors.

The castle shots have already been made, and I am pretty sure that it will look like it does today, but as a fan of DL, I admit that I would love to see it in the film as it really was. Even if someone doesn't know it has been changed in the present day, if they see it in the film as it used to look, it will give a feeling that it is indeed the early 1960s.

There is one sound stage that has/will be built to look like the iconic Mickey face of flowers at the front of the park. The fact that they aren't using the real location tells me that there is something important that happens in the film at this location. My intuition tells me that blocking off the front of the park, even one side at a time, was just almost impossible to do due to the popularity of DL.
    Last edited by JMazz; 10-24-2012 at 07:00 PM.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• Just drawn that way

Quote Originally Posted by misterdisney View Post
    I hope this movie makes money - then maybe they will think about making a movie or an ABC series about Walts Life.

Gold Mickey says:
    Series about Walt - I would watch it every week !
    And still buy the dvd's when they came out !
    If it was done right, I'd tune in to see it!
    Little and broken, but still good.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    And this movie has very little to do with DL itself, but it will contain a few key locations and anchor a prime scene. Very few ppl watching the final cut of the film in theaters will hardly recognize any historical accuracy in the park. However, the ppl will make the scene, inc the walk-ons and background actors.

The castle shots have already been made, and I am pretty sure that it will look like it does today, but as a fan of DL, I admit that I would love to see it in the film as it really was. Even if someone doesn't know it has been changed in the present day, if they see it in the film as it used to look, it will give a feeling that it is indeed the early 1960s.

There is one sound stage that has/will be built to look like the iconic Mickey face of flowers at the front of the park. The fact that they aren't using the real location tells me that there is something important that happens in the film at this location.
    They'll likely digitally alter the castle paint job to match the 1961 color scheme.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    They'll likely digitally alter the castle paint job to match the 1961 color scheme.
    I am hoping that they do. But my cynical side says that Disney won't let them for marketing reasons.
    ~Jay

(Disneyland, circa 1957)

• former CM

Here's a link to a Hollywood Reporter article featuring a nice photo of Tom Hanks talking with Diane Disney:
    Tom Hanks Becoming Walt Disney for 'Saving Mr. Banks' - Hollywood Reporter

• Just drawn that way

What about the Golden Horseshoe? Isn't the inside look pretty much the same on the inside? That would be a good location.
    Little and broken, but still good.

• former CM

This movie might help others understand why we are Disney believers.

I hope Thomas Staggs, Jay Rasulo, Bob Iger, Meg Crofton, George K. and others at or moving toward the top of the Disney corporation are inspired by it.

It may help others become fellow Walt Disney followers. Walt's not a religious figure, but (like Disney board member, the late Steve Jobs) he did show hew capitalism could be used to create wonderful things. In contrast, other capitalists (Bill Gates, Rockefeller, Carnegie) seemed more about making as much money as possible by any (mostly legal) means necessary, and then using that money to do good.

After an episode of Family Guy made fun of both Walt Disney and Jesus, Seth Macfarlane reported that he heard many complaints about the shot at Disney, and far fewer about poke at JC. I'm not making a John Lennon "more popular of Jesus" point, but I am looking forward to this more than I was Mel Gibson's "The Last Temptation of Christ."
    Now if Mel Gibson were directing or playing Walt, I'd be less enthusiastic.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-25-2012 at 12:40 PM.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    My intuition tells me that blocking off the front of the park, even one side at a time, was just almost impossible to do due to the popularity of DL.
    It's no coincidence that filming is scheduled on two of the quietest days of the year.

It can also be guessed that it won't be on Main Street, the Hub, in front of the gates, in New Orleans Square or Small World. Christmas Decorations.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Christmas Decorations.
    I didn't even think of this as a possible reason. Wow. I totally have been focused on H'ween that I forgot about the up-coming decor for xmas.
    ~Jay

(Disneyland, circa 1957)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    If Mel Gibson were ... playing Walt,

I am DYING over here picturing that in my mind.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Talk about perfect timing! I was driving home from work today and was trying to remember if they were going to film parts of this movie in Disneyland. And then this thread pops up. How about that!

And the article answered my other question as to how they are going to film while guests are there. I wouldn't think they would let normal guests into the scenes. And I hghly doubt like in Modern Family that you will see portions of the park stantioned off with CMs directing traffic.

A couple areas that I think will be used would be iasw and Tiki Room. Main Street could be used but I don't think they will bring back the old sponsors.
    I can totally see using the Tiki Room but IASM did not come to Disneyland until after Mary Poppins was released.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• My Children's Father

The smoking area by the rafts could be used. The ROA, with the usual river traffic and the island in the background would leave little doubt to movie watchers where it was filmed. And Hanks could smoke .....
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• AKA - DisneyChris

There are a few areas they could film in Disneyland that have changed little - (aside from paint color which could be recolored on film) - from the early 60's, when this film is set to take place, which will give the director plenty of options for shooting locations ---

1 - The Castle
    2 - All of Main Street
    3 - The Tiki Room
    4 - Portions of the Jungle Cruise
    5 - The Castle Court just inside the Castle
    6 - Parts of Storybookland
    7 - The Mark Twain and Sailing Ship Columbia
    8 - The Frontierland entrance walkway
    9 - The Golden Horseshoe
    10 - The Adventureland Walkway
    11 - The Main Street Station (aside from the changed Mickey Floral)
    12 - The Matterhorn

in the film "That Thing You Do" which also had Tom Hanks in it, ironically, there was a scene at Disneyland, set in just around this same time period. They showed them riding the Matterhorn which was ok, but then they also showed several things that were not there in the early 60's, and this sort of annoyed me. So I hope they try to remain as authentic as possible in this up coming film.

As a similar issue - In the film "A Christmas Story" when they go downtown to watch the parade, they see Mickey Mouse in the parade. This is the Mickey costume from the 1980's, and the movie takes place in the 1940's - (and don't get me started on the mother's hair-do) So this always bugged me. It spoils the illusion.
    Last edited by DisneyChrisDotCom; 10-27-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

• Heavy Breather

The whole set up kind of reminds me of Ed Wood. I'm sure the movie will be great.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast