Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: I.D. checks for DLR starting today (?)

Our first day is a Magic Morning. We are using our 4 day parkhoppers. Will we go to the 4/5 day turnstiles? Or the Magic Morning turnstiles?

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas998 View Post
    I think it is just a case of Disney wanting to do it the cheapest way possible and not caring about the hassle factor to the customer. I find it strange that when I have gone to Disneyworld in the past I was given a room key that was also the ticket to the parks, yet at Disneyland each time I've stayed in a Disney hotel I have been given a plastic room key for everyone in the family that they have to use and also seperate paper tickets.... so each time we enter the park early we had to have both room keys and tickets... why in the world can't they simply put them all together? Having separate tickets and room keys doesn't make it any easier for the visitors only more of a pain in the backside... In fact if I wasn't going to use all the days on my ticket the current system they use makes it easy for me to sell my ticket and still have my room key.
    Could be due to Disneyland attracting mostly locals. At Disneyworld, most guest are actually staying at a hotel and there are many of them so it would just make sense to make the hotel room key a park ticket too.

I don't see the big deal in giving or selling tickets you don't want to use anymore to someone else but I'm happy that scammers are being caught!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Ticket rentals are not illegal. However it is against Disney policy. Disney cannot do a thing to prosecute ticket rental companies or the guests who use them. Disney can, however, enforce their own policies which would do a lot to slow down these types of businesses.

In California, it's illegal: From the California AG:

"California Penal Code, Chapter 4, Section 483 addresses ticket scalping, stating that "...any person, firm, corporation, partnership, or association that shall sell to another any ticket, pass, scrip, mileage or commutation book, coupon, or other instrument for passage on a common carrier...must entitle the person buying the ticket to the same terms of the book or portion thereof from which it was detached...."

Basically since they are not selling the ticket under the "same terms of the book or portion thereof" they are in violation. Also many of these places are in violation in that they're not licensed:

Under Chapter 4, Section 346 of the Penal Code, individuals who sell tickets to art, sports and entertainment events must:

• Have a permanent business address
    • Maintain a record of ticket purchases and sales
    • Disclose seat locations to the purchaser prior to the sale
    • Refund advance-sale ticket purchases any time prior to the availability of the Ticket and fully refund the ticket price when an event is canceled or rescheduled
    • Disclose any service charge imposed by a ticket seller
    • Be licensed by a local governmental agency
    • Disclose the price charged for the ticket when it is offered as part of a tour or Event package

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    IMHO? Yes, good! 'Renting' or 'resale' of Disney Park tickets by third parties (or anyone, I guess) is expressly against Disney policy*. I think it's one of the reasons for the rising prices of tickets. Maybe not a major reason, but a reason just the same.

I will have no problem in showing my ID with my ticket.

*I don't really have a problem with someone buying a ticket from someone else if they sell it for FULL RETAIL PRICE, ie, what they paid for it, even if Disney's policy is 'don't do that'. Like if I buy a ticket & can't go (thus the ticket hasn't been activated) and sell it to my neighbor for what I paid for it. I do have a problem with rental and scalpers. This is my opinion. I know others may disagree.
    I agree with you there. If someone purchases a ticket, Disney has gotten the value for that ticket. if the owner of the ticket wants to provide it to someone else to use, Disney doesn't lose anything. While Disney has stated their limitations, I don't feel that this should be an issue. "Renting" a portion of a multi day ticket may be a grey area as Disney probably feels that THEY should be getting the money for the full day ticket they didn't get to sell. But, again, the original multi-day ticket has been paid for and whenever it is used by anyone only fulfills disney's obligation to provide entrance for those days.

---------- Post added 10-25-2012 at 12:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post

"California Penal Code, Chapter 4, Section 483 addresses ticket scalping, stating that "...any person, firm, corporation, partnership, or association that shall sell to another any ticket, pass, scrip, mileage or commutation book, coupon, or other instrument for passage on a common carrier...must entitle the person buying the ticket to the same terms of the book or portion thereof from which it was detached...."

Basically since they are not selling the ticket under the "same terms of the book or portion thereof" they are in violation. Also many of these places are in violation in that they're not licensed:

Under Chapter 4, Section 346 of the Penal Code, individuals who sell tickets to art, sports and entertainment events must:

• Refund advance-sale ticket purchases any time prior to the availability of the Ticket and fully refund the ticket price when an event is canceled or rescheduled
    • Disclose the price charged for the ticket when it is offered as part of a tour or Event package
    One of those trickey grey areas again. If I go buy park passes for six of my friends and have them pay me when I give them their tickets, am I "selling" them the tickets?

• DL College Program 97/98

Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    One of those trickey grey areas again. If I go buy park passes for six of my friends and have them pay me when I give them their tickets, am I "selling" them the tickets?
    I've always interpreted "non-transferable" as being unable to give the ticket to someone else, once used. Otherwise, you would technically be violating the terms of the ticket by simply buying tickets and getting paid back by your friends, or by buying tickets for your family and giving two of them to your kids.

That would seem to jive with the CA law as well. If they're unused, the buyer is getting the full value. If they've been used at all, they are not.

• Monorail Junkie

Ok, can some explain exactly what is "Ticket Renting" I am an AP holder but I am curious to what this exactly is. I can then warn family against them if they ever want to.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by jchamb268 View Post
    Ok, can some explain exactly what is "Ticket Renting" I am an AP holder but I am curious to what this exactly is. I can then warn family against them if they ever want to.
    Some of the ticket abusers will let you pay to use a day or more of a ticket and expect you to return it afterward. Thus renting them.

• Monorail Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Some of the ticket abusers will let you pay to use a day or more of a ticket and expect you to return it afterward. Thus renting them.
    So they buy a 4-5 day ticket and then rent it to you for a day or two and expect you to return it and then they rent it to another guest? WOW, that is bizarre

• Sock Puppet

^ YES that is exactly what happens.. it's against the law.so you are paying for a half used ticket, and most times as i have heard the ticket isn't even valid an you paid for it and they don't return your money.. or so i have heard... again. against the law, against Disney law.

• xmanmom

Well, confound it all, what are we supposed to do? We have APs for all of the adults in our family, but my son just turned three and we don't want to buy him an AP that will have a completely different renewal date than everyone else's (besides we are fairly sure we are not renewing in 2013 as we would like to go to WDW next year), so we bought him a four day ticket. He doesn't have picture ID, I only have a birth certificate for him. We leave in just a little over two weeks. Does this mean we will have to go through this line every time even though he is the only one with a four day ticket and has no ID!?!

Disney IS losing from ticket renting. It's the same reason why you cannot scalp game tickets. By renting a ticket, the person who had it originally can easily make profit off of it.

Disney has the authority to allow people to purchase tickets on their terms and no one else's and Disney has a right to profit from every transaction with the ticket. With every rented ticket used, Disney loses that potential profit from a ticket sale.

With giving the travel agents authorization to sell tickets means that Disney gets their share as well as giving the guest confidence in knowing that the ticket works (quality control). If someone ever gets ripped off for buying re-sold tickets, Disney often gets blame for not letting the customer in.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

If Disney is really concerned with ticket rentals, they should just install the biometric system that they have at WDW, Hong Kong Disneyland, all the Busch/Seaworld parks, and all the U.S. Universal Parks.

Checking and attaching peoples names to individual tickets in a computer seems very time consuming.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by lisaboo View Post
    Well, confound it all, what are we supposed to do? We have APs for all of the adults in our family, but my son just turned three and we don't want to buy him an AP that will have a completely different renewal date than everyone else's (besides we are fairly sure we are not renewing in 2013 as we would like to go to WDW next year), so we bought him a four day ticket. He doesn't have picture ID, I only have a birth certificate for him. We leave in just a little over two weeks. Does this mean we will have to go through this line every time even though he is the only one with a four day ticket and has no ID!?!
    You will be just fine and you do not need his birth certificate.

I just found out after making a couple calls, that kids tickets are not being checked for ID. Requiring a birth certificate would be insane. If we think about it, Disney would be losing a ton of ticket sales by denying the tens of thousands of kids who show up w/out ID since ppl don't commonly travel w/ their kids birth records.

Also, a friend and her party went thru the gates today and only the adults were carded (ID).
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• Minion

your husbands name will be on his ticket. He will only have to show his id. You won't have to be with him.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post

This was already covered in a recent article in the OC Register.

Basically what they were explaining were ticket rental companies that buy Disneyland multi-day park hopper tickets at full value and charging customers a discounted rate to use the ticket for a single day pass. The article states there is nothing illegal about this. The tickets purchased by the agency is not sold to them by Disney at a discount, and they are legitimate theme park tickets. These ticketing companies are legitimate businesses legally operating within or near Anaheim

Some rent Disney tickets to save money | tickets, disney, day - Entertainment - The Orange County Register

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast