Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

• Under that tree again!

Re: I.D. checks for DLR starting today (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    I think it might depend on how much the person who "rents" the ticket spends in the park. If that person is unwilling to pay Disney's full asking price and wouldn't go if that were their only option, then Disney isn't losing money on the ticket. If the person is willing to spend money on food and merchandise then it might even be beneficial to Disney.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    A case in point would be my DH & I and our recent trip. We wanted to stay at the Grand, which was a splurge. So we ate more sandwiches in the room rather than lunches in the park. Disney got the same amount of money from us, just more in room charge and less in food bought in the park. We didn't decide not to go because the Grand was more expensive, we just reallocated our money.
    But you left out part of the case. Where would you have otherwise stayed.

It's mostly true that people will substitute one purchase for another. They have x dollars to spend and in the end spend x.

For example, movies are $15 but on Wednesday night they are only $10, so the viewers go on Wednesday and spend the $5 saved on popcorn. Did the movie theater make as much money? No. The movie company's expense to show the movie was the same, but they had to pay to staff the concession stand and for the popcorn. More expenses versus the same revenue means less profit.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

I don't know. I think if the resellers fell off the face of the earth tomorrow, probably 99% of the public would just ante up for a full price ticket rather than not go to the park at all. After all, we all paid the full price before this reselling gig started up.

I pay full admission (we got Ap's) but I know a lot of people who won't go to Disney because of admission prices. Saying what people would have done several years ago doesn't take into account the sharp incline in ticket prices coupled with the decline of our economy over the last several years. Just looking at the number of people on this board who have said they won't be renewing their AP's points to a limit of what people are willing to pay for DLR. For instance, we will not be renewing and plan on taking a several year hiatus from Disney after our passes expire because of the burgeoning price of tickets/food/hotel/gas etc.

---------- Post added 10-27-2012 at 04:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    For example, movies are $15 but on Wednesday night they are only $10, so the viewers go on Wednesday and spend the $5 saved on popcorn. Did the movie theater make as much money? No. The movie company's expense to show the movie was the same, but they had to pay to staff the concession stand and for the popcorn. More expenses versus the same revenue means less profit.
    I don't know. I have heard a lot of people say that concessions are where theaters make their money. If a couple comes in on discount night and buys a large popcorn and 2 large drinks, is the theater making more money than if those people didn't come at all? I would guess, yes. The theater must be running discount nights as a business decision.

But I don't know for sure that people renting tickets are spending enough in merch/food to make a profit for Disney. It is just a possibility.

• Minion

I pay full admission (we got Ap's) but I know a lot of people who won't go to Disney because of admission prices. Saying what people would have done several years ago doesn't take into account the sharp incline in ticket prices coupled with the decline of our economy over the last several years. Just looking at the number of people on this board who have said they won't be renewing their AP's points to a limit of what people are willing to pay for DLR. For instance, we will not be renewing and plan on taking a several year hiatus from Disney after our passes expire because of the burgeoning price of tickets/food/hotel/gas etc.
    This is all well and good, however, park attendance is contrary to this hypothesis. While there are a lot of people who say they won't go with these prices, the park is packed during the off season.

As for me, I stay off site. It's where I can have more money to spend in the park. Instead of staying 2 nights at the DLH, I can spend 5 nights off site and spend an extra couple days spending my cash in the park.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Chief Troublemaker

But you left out part of the case. Where would you have otherwise stayed?

It's mostly true that people will substitute one purchase for another. They have x dollars to spend and in the end spend x.

At the PP or DLH. Disney always gets all our money! LOL. My example was just one of how someone would give up 'X' to afford 'Y'.

Ahh, but at your movies, the theatre owner is still getting 'all' the money he is asking for. How he allocates it is up to him. He grossed the same amount of money, $15.00. And he still has to pay the kids at the concession stand and buy popcorn to sell out of his gross no matter who does or doesn't buy popcorn. He sets his prices by what he expects to net based on past income/expenses plus a little margin for unforeseen circumstances. If he found out he was losing revenue because people were sneaking in popcorn and snacks (i.e. 'renting tickets'), what would he do? Raise prices to make up for that lost revenue. And who pays for the more expensive popcorn? Those of us who comply with the owner's rule of "No outside food".

I agree that Disney is still making huge profits overall, even with ticket renting. How much does the renting actually bite into their profit? Who knows. And to me it doesn't really signify. It's still unethical. The end (Someone thinking "Well, Disney still makes megabucks") does not justify the means ("So I'll rent this ticket to save myself $20").

Again, this is just how I see it. I only have to live with myself and my own actions. Others' opinions may differ.

---------- Post added 10-27-2012 at 05:37 PM ----------

---------- Post added 10-27-2012 at 04:44 PM ----------

I don't know. I have heard a lot of people say that concessions are where theaters make their money. If a couple comes in on discount night and buys a large popcorn and 2 large drinks, is the theater making more money than if those people didn't come at all? I would guess, yes. The theater must be running discount nights as a business decision.

But I don't know for sure that people renting tickets are spending enough in merch/food to make a profit for Disney. It is just a possibility.

For sure, the economy has affected a lot of people, myself included. And I think it's a darn shame that Disneyland isn't affordable to everyone, but I realize that at this point in time, it isn't. But maybe, just maybe, ticket prices could be a bit more affordable if the re-sellers were put out of business. Now I realize that even if they are put out of business and Disney sees a jump in admission ticket sales profits they probably aren't going to lower prices. Most businesses just don't work that way, unfortunately. But maybe they won't feel the need to increase prices. And that may help some people afford entrance to the Happiest Place on Earth somewhere down the line.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    This is all well and good, however, park attendance is contrary to this hypothesis. While there are a lot of people who say they won't go with these prices, the park is packed during the off season.
    Oh, I'm not saying that there aren't people who are willing to pay what Disney is asking. I'm only saying that I doubt that many of the people who are taking the risk to rent tickets are willing to turn right around and pay full price.

• Chief Troublemaker

Oh, I'm not saying that there aren't people who are willing to pay what Disney is asking. I'm only saying that I doubt that many of the people who are taking the risk to rent tickets are willing to turn right around and pay full price.
    IDK, Tink. A lot of them probably can afford to pay it, they just don't want to. Some of the tightest people I know are also some of the most wealthy people I know. Guess that's how they got that way & why I'll never be rich!!! LOL
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

IDK, Tink. A lot of them probably can afford to pay it, they just don't want to. Some of the tightest people I know are also some of the most wealthy people I know. Guess that's how they got that way & why I'll never be rich!!! LOL

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    Disney is not loosing any money from the resellers. They are buying the tickets at standard disney prices. The more they buy the cheaper they will be. It wouldn't matter if they are reselling or not.
    Why is this difficult to understand? Of course the reseller is paying normal prices - but that's not the point. The point is guests are not paying for the tickets they otherwise would normally buy.

Reseller scenario: Reseller buys a 5 day park hopper for $290. Each day he 'leases' the ticket to a new person. 5 people use the ticket.

vs

Traditional scenario - 5 different people on different days want to buy 1 day park hoppers. That is $125 per person or $600 in revenue.

Disney loses $310 dollars in revenue from the reseller buying in bulk and reselling it's use.

The multi-day ticket is sold to the reseller with the conditions that the ticket is to be used by the same individual - they are discounted to encourage longer stays. They are not sold cheaper 'in volume' to encourage greater participating in reselling (like one would see in wholesale).

This is not wholesale vs retail pricing. This is policy violating use of the ticket.

Do you think if you bought an AP and let other people use it all during the year 'Disney wouldn't be losing money' simply because you had paid for your AP legit?

---------- Post added 10-27-2012 at 10:20 PM ----------

Poor example.. the reasoning being lowering 'door prices' is to drive volume.. not necessarily shift spending. The movie theater lowers prices because they have overhead that is constant.. and without enough volume of customers, they lose money. So they lower prices to encourage a greater volume of customers.. and as long as the new revenue (guests x lower price) is greater than the original revenue.. (lessGuests x std price) they are still ahead in the promotion because their overhead was fixed. With fixed overhead.. all they care about is driving revenue.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• i believe in faeries.

i just went to the parks (mid september) and i got ID'd every single day i entered (either) park... even when park-hopping. my daughter, who is 4, obviously didn't, and neither did my mom half the time... but i seemed to be the one they checked.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678