Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• șoș Tom șoș

Aerial view of DL, DCA, 3rd Gate- etc

Hey folks, I spent some time editing a smaller map this morning and Mr. Spider was nice as to point myself to a site where I was able to piece several smaller maps of Anaheim together to form this:

Now when you want to discuss the feasibility of a ride you can refer to this map and compare the size. You can see the size difference between DCA and DL and the preposed 3rd Gate.

I hightlighted yellow areas as places Disney needs to persue to expand properly. Green areas are sold and solid and not in Disney control nor necessary for expansion. Orange is current parking. Blue are expansion areas already in Disney control.

Thanks again to Jspider!-Tom

• Wannabe Aviator!

Nice...
    So I am assuming that the 3rd gate area is where the "Strawberry Fields" used to be?
    "...and you'll want to stow away cameras, purses, hats, and of course...these little
    beauties!"

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Soarin' ain't Borin'
    Nice...
    So I am assuming that the 3rd gate area is where the "Strawberry Fields" used to be?
    This is preposed site. Nothing is solid yet. As you can see those yellow hotels prepose a large obstacle. Preferably it would be awesome to see a very massive land bridge up and over that interestion that would connect the tail of DCA to the 3rd Gate.

Even threads like rerouting the monorail, a skyway and extended People Movers or moving walk ways, will be necessary to ferry people back and forth between the parks---a new and improved monorail is the most obvious system like in Florida but who knows.

• Minion

ORDDU: Well, now you ducklings know what my sisters and I get to see while flying our broomsticks over the Happiest Place on Earth! How nice that someone has taken the time to photograph it and then put it up for all to see. (By the way, Aw Shucks, dear--what sort of broom stick to YOU fly? Or are you one of those modern warlocks who insists on riding one of those new-fangled things they call a vacuum cleaner?)

• șoș Tom șoș

I am one of them Muggles who hacks errr plays with eerrrr used defense satellites, I mean mirrors I mean err ...nasa photos, hummmmmmmmm

Gosh - I just have a hard time believing Disney is going to spend any real resource on this third gate idea until they can get the attendance on the second gate up.

It will be interesting to see what this next generation of the Disney corporation thinks about this idea (probably not a lot of new thinking, I'm betting).

Your map does a pretty good job of proving why Walt went to Florida for a do-over.

• șoș Tom șoș

We all acknowledge DCA needs some tinkering "Imagination in Progress" I think I laid this out as a way for people to better understand what they are debating and see the layout from a non-cartoon scanned vistor map- kind of way.

For example if you look closly at the site of Autopia its huge- give you an idea just how much land one attraction takes up versus looking at the other side of the park, where two or three attractions occupy the same space.

Or for example just how much land is left in Timon and where that extra parking can and will be shifted to.

• 6 kids before I'm 30!!!!

Do you think those hotels/restaurants across DL would ever sell their property to Disney? I think not.. those are goldmines to any private owners. So I highly doubt disney can expanded anymore except for those fields across from Anahiem Conv Ctr. And im thinking Anaheim wont allow Disney to build anything in that intersection. Cant imagine the traffice that will cause during any type of construction there.. It was hell before when they were buidling DTD and DCA...
    We rock the party that rocks the party!
    We are truly a new generation of the Brady Bunch!

• Minion

That Anaheim walk is in the way I hope Disney buys the owners out

• 6 kids before I'm 30!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool
    That Anaheim walk is in the way I hope Disney buys the owners out
    Totally agree...I think that spot has been empty for 5yrs or more already.. theyput up that wall like 3 yrs ago and stated they will put some "citywalk" copy cat in anaheim. But all i see is dirt and rocks eveyrwhere..no progress it hasnt even been leveled or whatever you call it before they do construction. They should make that the cast parking .. and build over the curr cast parking... btu yah thats gonna happen.
    We rock the party that rocks the party!
    We are truly a new generation of the Brady Bunch!

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by XCLIPSE129
    Do you think those hotels/restaurants across DL would ever sell their property to Disney? I think not.. those are goldmines to any private owners. So I highly doubt disney can expanded anymore except for those fields across from Anahiem Conv Ctr. And im thinking Anaheim wont allow Disney to build anything in that intersection. Cant imagine the traffice that will cause during any type of construction there.. It was hell before when they were buidling DTD and DCA...
    If Disney feels they can generate enough revenue to cover the expense of aquiring the property and redeveloping it to suit their purposes, they'd be foolish not too. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities.

I think the city will let Disney do whatever it can to make money, since the city makes money whenever Disney does. Temporary traffic impacts are negligible.

The day will come when it will actually be easier to redevelop the surrounding areas of Anaheim than the swamplands of Florida, unless you expect Earth to look like Corusant.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Banned User

Do you think those hotels/restaurants across DL would ever sell their property to Disney? I think not..
    Anything is for sale, if the price is right.

The question is:
    Would there be sufficient demand for 2 full-week Disney resorts in the United States? WDW pulls some 48 million visitor-days a year and runs 20,000 hotel rooms 77% full. DL pulls 18 million visitor-days a year and fills 2,000 hotel rooms 87% full. Total 66 million and 22,000 hotel rooms.

If DLR expands to a 6-day, 4-park, 15,000 hotel room resort and ups their total to 40 million visitor days a year would the new 2 resort total be 88 million visitor-days and 35,000 hotel rooms 75+% full, or would DLR just steal guests from WDW?

Surprisingly, I think a LOT of that has to do with DLR's ability to market itself to Mexico, Central and South America. WDW acheives a lot of its occupancy from Europe. DLR would need to pull 10 million of visitor-days or more a year from south of San Diego.

but lets look at the facts

Disney already HAS bought out hotels and taken them out, check out the 1995 aerial pic on the third gate thread, parts of the Timon lot were once hotels (and pretty decent sized parts too the Candycane is a small survivor of that)

and lets also look at the fact that the City of Anahiem PAYED for most of the road reconstruction NOT Disney, they paid for the parking garage and everything, the city of anihiem WANTED DLR very badly

I think the reason Disney didn't get that land is because the city of anihiem WANTS it's own citywalk type thing and Disney has DTD so doesn't want to build another one so they're not

• Minion

You could be right....Without a 3rd gate, that area where the anaheim garden walk is will not be visited by tourists.

That is a very impressive ariel photo... how big is the maximum resolution?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast