Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Musical Fireman

Re: Do we overreact to much?

I didn't mean that kind of too much when you just mushroom cloud, I mean when some are so passionate they just lose all faith and forget there are still some people with brains in the company. I keep saying this the thread is directed at no one in particular. Oh and by the way your welcome

See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SparkChaser View Post
    ...I mean when some are so passionate they just lose all faith and forget there are still some people with brains in the company.
    Brains aren't the issue. There are many very smart and caring people in the company, whose best efforts are too often buried by a hyper-politicized, bureaucratic hierarchy that competes with itself for the goal of most shortsighted. That the company's customers are passionate about its product has little to do with the corporate culture that dominates the company; "faith" has even less. When the customers project their feelings for the company's fantasy entertainment product onto the company itself, they can be jarred when confronted by the cold business reality of what the company is and how it operates. When that happens, and in places like this forum it happens frequently, it is hardly the company's fault for being what it is, nor that of those customers who know what it is.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-26-2012 at 06:52 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    All of MiceChat hates everything? Now that definitely is an overreaction.
    dont misquote! It's one of my favorite comments. "it seems that all of micechat hates everything"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Meaning no disrespect, I think that's completely backwards. The issue of "credibility" is Disney's responsibility, not their customers'. They're the multibillion dollar corporation who claim to have the #1 premium theme park product on the planet. They're the ones who charge (and upcharge) ever-higher prices. Disney's customers deserve to have Disney deliver on their own hype. And when they don't, the customers have every right to be furious. The idea that the Disney customer needs to avoid "overreacting" and that the Disney Corporation deserves to be treated with kid gloves because of a heritage that they themselves trash with every new upcharge is ludicrous and anti-consumer. It's not up to the customer to "fix the problem," it's up to Disney to deliver what their heritage, their hype, and their high prices promise.
    No disrespect taken, but I think we're not on the same page. I'm not saying it's the customer's job at all to make fixes. Of course Disney should do that. What I am saying is that if there is an issue or if there is something they don't particularly like, then it is not in their best interest to seem irrationally outraged. Absolutely, Disney should deliver what they have led consumers to believe is their product. But that's a completely different beast to how one should act on a forum.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    ...What I am saying is that if there is an issue or if there is something they don't particularly like, then it is not in their best interest to seem irrationally outraged.
    I totally agree.

- Neil Gabler

• Selfie Expert

For me, I don't mind the "overreactions" to Disney-related issues. It's the misinterpretations that seem to be an issue. Example:

Person 1: "I hate getting run over by strollers"
    Person 2: "YOU MUST HATE BABIES"

This seems to happen a lot with disability-related things. It's unfortunate, but I suppose that's the con of internet-based communication.

The pro is that, for me at least, I learn about a lot of things I wouldn't have otherwise. What IS missing/broken? Changes to look for? Historical facts, secrets, etc. I love it!

And as someone who absolutely LOVES the Disneyland of today, and never experienced the "old" Disneyland (as I'm not old enough to have had the pleasure), it does get a little irritating to hear the constant complaints. That being said, maybe in twenty years I'll be the one complaining about missing the Disneyland that I remember "back in the day".

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• AKA - DisneyChris

I only react to major changes, not little things like a window painted differently. I think the CBJ thing is a major change, and not surprised that fans "being short for FANATICS" were stirred up about this.

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

• I'm from Canada eh!

Micechat, and the internet in general,has given fans access to and unheard of amount in inside information, so much so that I think we as a community are given a false sense of entitlement and feel like it is not only our right to comment and criticize, but that Disney should have listen to us too as well. At the end of the day, we are guests as the various Disney parks and it is our choice if we want to enjoy it. I assume that most people who post here have still like the park, but there are a few who feel it is their mission to inform everyone that the Disneyland was better in the past regardless of any new innovation and idea that is developed. I'm not saying that people should not have an opinion, I just feel that some people are programed to start with a negative one.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Micechat, and the internet in general,has given fans access to and unheard of amount in inside information, so much so that I think we as a community are given a false sense of entitlement and feel like it is not only our right to comment and criticize, but that Disney should have listen to us too as well. At the end of the day, we are guests as the various Disney parks and it is our choice if we want to enjoy it. I assume that most people who post here have still like the park, but there are a few who feel it is their mission to inform everyone that the Disneyland was better in the past regardless of any new innovation and idea that is developed. I'm not saying that people should not have an opinion, I just feel that some people are programed to start with a negative one.
    Let's not kid ourselves, people aren't "guests" at Disney parks, they're customers, and they're paying through the nose to buy what Disney sells. If Disney sells them a declining product at an increasing cost, which has happened frequently in the last two decades, it's not the customers' "choice to enjoy it," it's their right to protest and to demand that Disney listen. People aren't "programmed to start with a negative opinion," they develop opinions formed by their experience -- including experiencing the decline of Disney theme park product over the years.

- Neil Gabler

• AKA - DisneyChris

"Me thinks thou doth protest too much." Wm. Shakespeare

Could not help but think of that quote, even though it has a different meaning that what we are discussing. I am just weird. My mind works in odd ways.

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Let's not kid ourselves, people aren't "guests" at Disney parks, they're customers, and they're paying through the nose to buy what Disney sells.
    True enough, but as Disneyland does not belong to one and all, we are still visitors to their park. Once again the entitlement that we feel as a fan community is unreal, but is it is direct result of the internet generation. We learn about everything so quickly that we forget that while we are the direct benefactors of what the Disney gives us, our opinions are only that, ramblings on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins
    If Disney sells them a declining product at an increasing cost, which has happened frequently in the last two decades, it's not the customers' "choice to enjoy it," it's their right to protest and to demand that Disney listen.
    And what is the best way to do that?? Not go? not pay? Have you seen the park these days?? By your approximation the park should be a wasteland and it is simply not the case. So where is this big protest? Oh yeah, it's on Micechat where the old timers are on their collective soapboxes, telling us masses how we are wrong to enjoy the park in it's current state.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins
    People aren't "programmed to start with a negative opinion," they develop opinions formed by their experience -- including experiencing the decline of Disney theme park product over the years.
    Agreed, but Micechat is not a vacuum. New people are posting everyday and while they may not be programed to be negative from the start, they sure get an earful (eye full?) off this site. Do you realize there are people here who are demanding that they bring back the people mover, even though they were not even born when it took its last ride around tomorrowland??? How is that even possible?

When it comes to criticizing Disney parks I think the 'adult' in us needs to step back and let the 'child' in us take over. What I mean is that every criticism I read is from an 'adult' that is upset that their latest experience didn't live up to the magic they had as children.

We just got back from a five day trip to Disneyland and I have to be honest, the experience did not live up to the expectations I created from trips I had as a child. The food wasn't as good, the rides weren't as thrilling and the parks seemed much more crowded and hectic. However, I was fortunate to have my 5 year old son with me and his innocent wonder made the trip a different kind of experience for me. Once I allowed myself to 'see' the parks through his eyes I was able to experience the magic even though I have been jaded by knowing what the man behind the curtain is actually doing.

A few members mentioned 'The Pirates of the Caribbean' in this thread. I agree that as jaded 'adults' we will see the imperfections of the ride and criticize the inclusion of 'Depp' related material but to my 5 year old son he could care less. He didn't care if the seagull was missing or if Jack Sparrow was inserted into the story or if the fog was not perfect. To him, the ride was simply magical.

After I got home it dawned on me; all of the 'lost' magic I remembered from my childhood trips to Disneyland was still there, I just had to allow myself to relive it through my son's eyes. His innocent excitement is what made this Disneyland trip the best I've ever had. I feel the 'adult' in us ruins the magic that Disneyland offers. Additionally, after this last trip I've come to the conclusion that Disneyland is for the innocent and not the jaded.

• Minion

I used to frequent a different Disneyland forum. Most of the threads were like, "How do you get reservations for the Blue Bayou?" I found MiceChat, with its critical discussions, much more interesting. I go to Disneyland and have fun. I come here and have fun.

The difference is that on MiceChat, if people don't like "negative" threads, they can make as many "positive" threads as they want. Some people enjoy critical threads. I may make negative comments about the park on the forum, but when I'm in the park, I don't go up to the three or four guests who are riding Pooh at any given time and yell, "Hey, you shouldn't enjoy that ride because it's poorly structured, and the one in Japan is much better!"

All that said, there have been a few things on the forums that struck me as "overreactions" over the years, like when posters get upset that people on vacation wear t-shirts and jeans instead of three-piece suits, or that people walk on the "street" part of Main Street instead of just the sidewalks. But I'm sure those things don't seem like overreactions to the people who say them. Everybody's got their own perspective .
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Minion

I think its human nature to be passionate about the things we love. I do wish people would try to see the good in some of the changes and realize it takes time to refurb thing the right way. Things do get frustrating but I try to see the positive in most things not all because the parks bring me joy.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234