View Poll Results: Should DCA have 1 Maze!

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, Life is No Fun without a Good Scare!

34 68.00%
  • NO, I rather have 0 Halloween Themed attractions just like it's currently

16 32.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• I'm a Lutheran

Re: DCA needs a Halloween Maze!

DCA would definitely be the better choice for a Halloween event (scary-wise) now that I think about it. There're so many endless possibilities there for a PG-13 Scary Farm-like event. Grizzly River Run could easily incorporate scare actors in addition to some pretty gnarly special effects. Imagine an abandoned gold mine filled with the ghosts of miners and some mutant grizzlies affected by the gases used by miners in their exploits. A legitimately scary carnival spook house could make its way into Paradise Pier, and a villain-based World of Color could premiere during every event. The Redwood Creek Challenge Trail could also host a maze in addition to one of the empty sound stages, if not both.

And can you imagine if one half of Hollywood Land was overtaken by public domain silent movie monsters (Nosferatu, Thomas Edison's Frankenstein Monster, the vampire from London After Midnight, etc.) and then the other half was ruled by various fiends from the Twilight Zone? It'd be great to have zombie takeover on Buena Vista Street.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• -

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    It's quite an exaggeration to imply a DCA night time event means Disney is just like everybody else in the industry.
    All the other events go for the "scare" factor. If Disney moves in that direction, how is that not being like everyone else in the industry?

Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    Guys, mazes don't need to be scary. Look at Dominion of the Dead. That maze is hardly scary at all, in fact it creates a unique environment. If Disney can follow that formula I welcome any and all mazes to come to both Disneyland and DCA.
    Since when does Disney need to follow anyone else's formula? There was a time when Disney had the formula to be followed.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

I feel that Disney should compete in the Halloween market as a family-friendly event. Even a maze that would try to not be scary would most likely scare many kids. I think Disney should continue what it's doing as the choice for family-friendly Halloween entertainment. You have Knott's Scary Farm minutes away and Universal Horror Nights in Los Angeles, it just wouldn't be lucrative for Disney to try and create a maze.
    Jeff Wayne

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    DCA would definitely be the better choice for a Halloween event (scary-wise) now that I think about it. There're so many endless possibilities there for a PG-13 Scary Farm-like event. Grizzly River Run could easily incorporate scare actors in addition to some pretty gnarly special effects. Imagine an abandoned gold mine filled with the ghosts of miners and some mutant grizzlies affected by the gases used by miners in their exploits. A legitimately scary carnival spook house could make its way into Paradise Pier, and a villain-based World of Color could premiere during every event. The Redwood Creek Challenge Trail could also host a maze in addition to one of the empty sound stages, if not both.

And can you imagine if one half of Hollywood Land was overtaken by public domain silent movie monsters (Nosferatu, Thomas Edison's Frankenstein Monster, the vampire from London After Midnight, etc.) and then the other half was ruled by various fiends from the Twilight Zone? It'd be great to have zombie takeover on Buena Vista Street.

[IMG]http://api.ning.com/files/9sJg2J2bk6ai8fMUma3drGycHU3G-GqVCF5cB83E0uwD*tO-YuFqnwJdA3bIHHeTngMSNUWHoAChEG6NU5cNh6NXb4JqI548/shatner_twilight_zone7198711.jpg[/IMG]

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    All the other events go for the "scare" factor. If Disney moves in that direction, how is that not being like everyone else in the industry?

Since when does Disney need to follow anyone else's formula? There was a time when Disney had the formula to be followed.
    I know we don't always agree on issues, but this is just undeniably spot on.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Thats like saying Walt followed the seedy carnivals of his day by going for a "fun" factor. There are many approaches to similar goals. They would be creating their own formula to tackle "scare." I think most people here calling for Disney to try their hand at some scares want to see them do it differently than everyone else.

Some suggested pg-13 scares which is not yet offered by anyone.
    Some suggested Highly themed, high quality environments which imo is not yet offered by anyone.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Certified in everything

Disney has carved out a nice niche for itself with the not scary, family version of the Halloween events. I don't think they should change that just to be like everyone else in the industry.
    Disney certainly has carved out a nice niche with its family-oriented Halloween offerings at Disneyland, but DCA doesn't offer much for Halloween at this point. This space (DCA) could be used to capitalize on the "scary-Halloween" market without forfeiting the family friendly market that is catered to at Disneyland. Disney has a second park and here is a way to use it! I know I'd kill to walk through a haunted 1290's horror movie set, or wander through the simulated hallways of the Hollywood Tower Hotel. Just because Disney has cornered one niche market, doesn't mean they can't add on another.

The two coasters that CA Adventure has is an "overwhelming presence"?
    I guess I was speaking to the resort in general. But DCA sure offers a lot of thrills, and there are a good-many non-thrillseekers that still enjoy themselves there. I mean the real take away here is that people can enjoy themselves in a theme park despite the presence of singular attractions that they may not appreciate.

Just look at House of Horrors at USH... its open year round yet doesn't dissuade the family crowd.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Minion

I voted no because I am not fan of those type of attractions however I could see having one in the old millionare building. Tucked away enough to not change the environment too much.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

• Just drawn that way

Why not, if it is in DCA. Paris has a haunt event at the Studio's. If it was inside a building that had nothing scary on the out side sure. Give it a price like $10 like mazes that are lone standing in malls or other places. Then it can have an age limit anyone under the age of 14 needs to be with a parent. that way it's up to the parent if there kid could handle it.
    I've worked mazes and haunts and am surprised when parents bring little kids (under 7) that some of them know its fake and have no fear.
    Little and broken, but still good.

• Minion

To add some more (btw I'd want these to be temporary walkthroughs not with actors)
    hades (Hercules)
    paradise pier funhouse
    frankenweenie
    haunted theatre

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    Thats like saying Walt followed the seedy carnivals of his day by going for a "fun" factor. There are many approaches to similar goals. They would be creating their own formula to tackle "scare." I think most people here calling for Disney to try their hand at some scares want to see them do it differently than everyone else.

Some suggested pg-13 scares which is not yet offered by anyone.
    Some suggested Highly themed, high quality environments which imo is not yet offered by anyone.
    Agreed! There are lots of people that want a Halloween event that doesn't include dismemberment and chainsaws, but at the same time have little interest in getting candy and taking a picture with Goofy dressed like a pirate. There is nothing wrong or even that different about Disney being a little scary. Walt Disney was OK with Snow White's Scary Adventure, a ride through Hell on Mr. Toad, the Pleasure Island segment of Pinnochio, head hunters on Jungle Cruise, the cavern on Pirates, and the early versions of Haunted Mansion Walt Disney saw before his death that were much scarier than the final version.

• former CM

I don't want a maze at DCA, I want three. (One the first year, two the second, and three from then on.)

I don't want a separate admission for DCA during Halloween.

I want the mazes to open at 2 or 3pm and DCA to stay open till 1am on Friday and Saturday nights.
    (Like in the Eliot Bros. song, for those of you with the "50th Anniversary: A Musical History of Disneyland" CD collection.)

I want signs: "Not for children under 13. If you are tryng to bring in your 9 year old, you are a BAD PARENT." I want a 60" height requirement that is waived if a guest is looks 16 or older.
    Most importantly, I want these mazes to be MUCH, MUCH, MUCH
    .better than the mazes at Knott's, the Queen Mary, and at Universal.

I want Disney to spend more money on its mazes than its competitors, not overall, but per maze.

I want a much higher capacity (with the identical mazes in each location, different only because of the live actors),

and have more amazing special effects.

I want these mazes to be bigger and grander. I want C.B. DeMille shots at the start and at the climactic ending.

I want Disney's mazes to be funnier. No gore. But also, never cute.

The first year I want Disney villains in its one maze.

The second year I want (added to the villains maze) "Revenge of the Sith." Or "Attack of the Sith." A Star Wars maze.

The third year, I want "The Other Haunted Mansion." Or a haunted house/maze by another name.

After that. I'd like the worst maze replaced by a new one each year. I'd like the Haunted Mansion in Disneyland to give up it's "Nightmare Before Christmas" theme in favor if a different Halloween theme, or just plussed at Halloween with live actors playing a knight, that Hatbox ghost, Madam Leota, the caretaker with a real dog, etc. for a number of years. And during these years I'd like the "Nightmare Before Christmas" to be a live DCA maze, as another Micechatter has suggested.

. . . the sale of alcohol does not equate to non-family friendly. Chuck e Cheese sells beer also and don't think there is anyone in their right mind arguing that place is aimed at adults. . .
    We've served beer to the grown ups at my young daughter's birthday parties and it seems like everyone has had a nice time. I'd like DCA to be like EPCOT: very good for kids, but LOVED by adults too.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 11-07-2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Because I take Disney way too seriously.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123