Smile How to know when the neon will be lit in Cars Land

I was at DCA yesterday afternoon. I had heard here on MC that the neon lighting "ceremony" to the accompanyment of "Life is but a dream" was worth seeing. I asked several CMs what time and didn't get a clear answer. Some said sunset, some said about 7:00PM. I called the Harbor Patrol Newport Beach recorded weather info line (949-675-0503). The official NWS service sunset time was 6:08PM. About 6:08, the song started playing, and the lights started coming on. So there you have it.
    (Why no one tells the CMs, I have no idea.)
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
    Mark Twain

• Under that tree again!

Re: How to know when the neon will be lit in Cars Land

Quote Originally Posted by sailor310 View Post
    I was at DCA yesterday afternoon. I had heard here on MC that the neon lighting "ceremony" to the accompanyment of "Life is but a dream" was worth seeing. I asked several CMs what time and didn't get a clear answer. Some said sunset, some said about 7:00PM. I called the Harbor Patrol Newport Beach recorded weather info line (949-675-0503). The official NWS service sunset time was 6:08PM. About 6:08, the song started playing, and the lights started coming on. So there you have it.
    (Why no one tells the CMs, I have no idea.)
    The CMs don't know because it's different every night, unlike parade, fireworks, WoC, Phineas and Ferb Dance Parties ect....

It starts roughly around sunset give or take as much as 15 minutes. Since sunset is different one night to the next that is why it's always changing.

Right, but I found it out by myself in 2 minutes. The lights came on precisely when NWS said sunset was. I was hinting that the person that checks NWS to find out local sunset in order to turn the lights on could tell the CMs coming on shift what time sunset/neon lighting is that day. It's a big enough deal that getiing the info out should be worth the effort.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
    Mark Twain

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Sounds like fun to watch, I'll have to remember that on my upcoming trip to keep that in mind around sunset

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    The CMs don't know because it's different every night, unlike parade, fireworks, WoC, Phineas and Ferb Dance Parties ect....

It starts roughly around sunset give or take as much as 15 minutes. Since sunset is different one night to the next that is why it's always changing.
    Sunset only changes by about about a minute one night to the next. It seems like it varies more only because of cloud cover and whatnot.

• a damsel not in distress

i think having someone inform the castmembers upon checking in what time the suns ets/lights start each day would be very helpful.

thanks for sharing what you learned! i'll make sure to check the times on the sunset when i'm there so i can watch.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• I am number 4 of 999

The lights came on precisely when NWS said sunset was. The person that checks NWS to find out local sunset in order to turn the lights on could tell the CMs coming on shift what time sunset/neon lighting is that day. It's a big enough deal that getting the info out should be worth the effort.
    Correct.
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• Distant Disneylandaholic

When we were there I asked one of the Cast Members who looked more "official" than some of the others--white shirt, earpiece, etc (not security though). He indicated it is 2 minutes after the astronomical sunset. Don't know how close that ties in, but that matches about what the OP discovered. I'd shoot for being there about 5 minutes before sunset, just in case. We had fun walking/bouncing up the main drag to the song
    Last edited by Dr. G; 10-31-2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by 1Disneylandfan View Post
    Sounds like fun to watch, I'll have to remember that on my upcoming trip to keep that in mind around sunset

Me too!
    For the love of Disney....

I've also been told by a CM that it occurs two minutes past sunset, and each time that has been correct.

• Minion

Right, but I found it out by myself in 2 minutes. The lights came on precisely when NWS said sunset was. I was hinting that the person that checks NWS to find out local sunset in order to turn the lights on could tell the CMs coming on shift what time sunset/neon lighting is that day. It's a big enough deal that getiing the info out should be worth the effort.
    But...it's not that big a deal. I don't think that question is asked often enough for it to be a point of information that is important for CMs to know each day. It should be standard that each CM says at or a little before (just so they don'tjust miss it) sunset, but to make sure everyone knows it's 6:08 pm tonight (or is it 6:07? Is it a minute before or minute after yesterday's?...) isn't really crucial.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post

what swampy said is true... can't blame it on the CM's they aren't told everything