Thread: Bad News GAC

Sad Bad News GAC

We leave in 5 days for our 10 day Disneyland anniversary trip. Today we were out and about and my spouse started limping and having shooting pains up the ankle. We're going to schedule a Dr. appt for next week. After reading a trip report recently about the woman whose husband will have his toes amputated and how bad it made their trip I am really scared of pushing someone around in a wheelchair. This is so frustrating! We can get by walking with a limp but if I don't get a wheelchair I fear our days will be shortened and sloooowwww.

So, in case this doesn't heal up by next week and the Dr. says to stay off of it, where am I going to get a wheelchair in Anaheim? I'm even afraid I should just rent one here--airports are huge and it's going to take us forever! At least I have an option getting the airline to push one of their wheelchairs or get a ride on their vehicles in the larger terminals. Glad we're in first class on the way down maybe it will be partially healed on the way home.

Another thing, is it possible to push the wheelchair around the park and to the rides and just hobble and limp along through the queues? I would get a GAC at City Hall?

I don't want this to be happening! There have been so many threads on wheel chair/GAC abuse lately...

• Minion

Re: Bad News GAC

it doesnt sound like you will need a gac. The park is made for wheel chair at california adventures and at disneyland where the wheel chair won't fit through the line they will give u a different entrance. For the most part gacs are for people with hidden disabilities. I get a gac every weekend.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    I would get a GAC at City Hall?
    Or better yet, at the Chamber or Commerce in DCA where the lines are shorter.

I'd see how he does and if you need to get a WC or ECV(better) as needed. You can rent them to the right of the DL gates. Also Deckert, OC Medical(Scooter village located in front of the Ramada Maingate on Harbor) rent these and deliver. If you are staying onsite you can rent through the onsite hotel.

So, what about my idea of just pushing around the park and standing in the lines? If we left the wheelchair or ECV by the stroller parking or something wouldn't somone take it?

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    So, what about my idea of just pushing around the park and standing in the lines? If we left the wheelchair or ECV by the stroller parking or something wouldn't somone take it?
    No problem, actually many people find that more ideal. For example park it in FL then hit Peter Pan, Toad, Alice and Snow White, then get back on the ECV and roll over to Tomorrowland.

Also don't forget FP because it will save you a lot of time over some of the HCA entrances.

BTW when at guest services getting a GAC if you end up doing that, pick up a guide which will tell you how to board attractions through the HCA lines.

Thanks. On Disneyland's web page you can print the HCA line access guide online.

I am getting a lot of "I'm not riding in a wheelchair" complaints right now. Well, if you can't make it from the couch to the bathroom how are you going to walk 20,000 steps in a park?! Bad one for gaining weight too. We need the steps with all the DL treats!

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandkitty View Post
    it doesnt sound like you will need a gac. The park is made for wheel chair at california adventures and at disneyland where the wheel chair won't fit through the line they will give u a different entrance. For the most part gacs are for people with hidden disabilities. I get a gac every weekend.
    I don't think this is an accurate statement. GAC is for anyone who would like to use it. As for its' intented use, it is for anyone who has a disability regardless of visibility or not.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

If I was in that much pain walking, I wouldn't have an issue with getting in a wheel chair. It's not a permanent thing, but temporary by the sounds of this just coming up. It can be a lot of walking at the parks. You would just go through the accessible entrances, and I don't see getting a GAC card when one is needed as abuse. He has a legitimate injury. Enjoy your trip, and take your time

• I love that tiny bear!

My mom has fibromyalgia and hip problems, so she can't walk for long distances. She rents an ECV and parks it, goes on a ride, and then moves to the next place, etc. It works fine; just put it in stroller parking and don't lose your key. We never needed a GAC with the wheelchair in November 2011, though we were able to use the handicapped entrances when needed, just by having the wheelchair. (If I recall correctly, we only used it for Captain EO--not needed but it let her take the ECV in the theater--and World of Color, since my mom couldn't stand for the 45+ minutes required to find a spot and watch the show.)

If you need an ECV, I would look into renting off-site, if your hotel is within walking distance. My mom did well with Deckert's. The price is much lower than DL rents them for, and the ECVs are high quality. Of course, you can take them out of the parks.

Praying that your spouse is fine and doesn't need it, though.

• The doctor is in

I have seen strollers, wheelchairs, and ECV's left in stroller parking areas with food, shopping bags, diaper bags, etc. left in them. People won't swipe your wheelchair if you park it outside a ride.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

You won't need a GAC of any sort with a wheelchair. I went for years with a partner in a chair and there was no need for any cards after about 2005.
    As far as pushing it, don't worry....those big wheels make it very efficient and it's not hard to do. I actually looked forward to the days I had to push because it really built my calf muscles up!
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

You may want to look into renting an EVC for your stay. If you go to A Scooter 4 U - Discount Mobility Products | Scooter Rentals | Disneyland Rentals | Wheelchair Rentals | Scooter Repair | Wheelchair Repair | Southern California | Knotts Berry Farm they will give you all the info.

The price for a scooter is $35.00 per day (just rented one last week 10/19-10/25 at that price), and they will deliver it to your hotel the night before you arrive and pick it up the day that you check out. That way you can take the scooter to your hotel, Downtown Disney, etc (you can take a wheelchair or ECV from DLR to DCA, but you CAN NOT take it into DTD....

Both my wife and I have to use scooters (ECV's) but when we go to DLR we usually drive and there is only room in the van for 1 scooter plus the kids so I always rent from this company. They have great service, on one trip (the only "problem" I ever had with their scooters), the battery would not hold a charge and died while we were on our way back to our hotel. I called the service phone number and they brought me a replacement within an hour at no extra charge and they refunded me for 1 day rental for my trouble.