Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Fastest Man Alive

Re: No more hand painted watches on Main Street-Declining by Degrees continues

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybirdman View Post
    Would be cool if they bring it back for a limited time. Maybe one week a year, let people order the watches.
    Get them while they last. Even with the artists gone, there still is left over artwork they produced over the years that isn't sold yet, and there are still watch parts to assemble. So, for the present you can still get an Artist Watch. You just can't pick a design and have the artist make it for you anymore. But you can still pick from the leftovers.
    It is now a truly limited time only setup.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    While I agree with not keeping things for nostalgias sake, I'm against Disney taking things out and replacing it with nothing, or in this case, most likely the same merchandise you can find in just about any other store in the whole resort.

Its been said many times on here, not every square inch of the park has to turn a profit. Well, in the mind of the current management, every square inch has to turn a profit or its not worth it. The saddest part of this for me is that the change will never ever be reverted and this area will stay as an area of merchandise for a very long time.

---------- Post added 10-29-2012 at 07:39 PM ----------

Makes you wonder what's next go. The Main Street Cinema? the Dapper Dans? The Main Street Vehicles? The Firestation? Walt's Apartment? And that's only Main Street...

Well we don't know how much disney is losing by keeping the watches. For all we know, disney could be losing tons of cash on the operation. I'm sure tons of things today don't generate a profit at the park but if something is hemorrhaging money left and right well...you can't blame them for putting an end to it. And like someone else said, watches are rapidly declining in demand.

I like the idea of having it open for limited times. That might make the watches more exclusive, coveted, and special.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Emelius View Post
    I hope they still do Silhouettes...
    Maybe next on the cutting block????
    No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    After reading Andy's post I was pretty bummed. However if the profit isn't there, why continue to do it? Sure it's a great novelty item and it sure was cool to watch them create those watches, but the bottomline is if the watches aren't turning over as quickly as they used to something needs to change to maximize profit.
    For the same reason they have shows and theme, because it's part of the park experience. Where else can you see this? To be honest, I'm not completely bummed about this, but it's part of the continuing trend of getting rid of unique shopping experiences at the park and (most likely) replacing them with just more generic park stuff. There are MORE than enough places to get Disney merchandise both inside and outside of the park, why not hold on to some of the great treasures and experiences that made the park more interesting than a trip to the disney store?

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    For the same reason they have shows and theme, because it's part of the park experience. Where else can you see this? To be honest, I'm not completely bummed about this, but it's part of the continuing trend of getting rid of unique shopping experiences at the park and (most likely) replacing them with just more generic park stuff. There are MORE than enough places to get Disney merchandise both inside and outside of the park, why not hold on to some of the great treasures and experiences that made the park more interesting than a trip to the disney store?
    I agree with you. I was just stating that I am sure there was a financial reason behind it, and I can see why something like this would need to be let go from a business standpoint. Like I said in my original post, I just wish they could come up with something else creative to do with the spot as opposed to the impending doom of generic merchandise.

• Nic

Not a surprise to me; the watches are super expensive, and don't have a mass appeal to everyday visitors. I'd much rather have, like another poster said, customizable iPhone and iPad cases.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    Well we don't know how much disney is losing by keeping the watches. For all we know, disney could be losing tons of cash on the operation. I'm sure tons of things today don't generate a profit at the park but if something is hemorrhaging money left and right well...you can't blame them for putting an end to it. And like someone else said, watches are rapidly declining in demand.

I like the idea of having it open for limited times. That might make the watches more exclusive, coveted, and special.
    Many many many things will lose Disney money. The watch painting is one very small attraction, but it helps separate Disney from other theme parks. Its one of the small things that makes Disney what it is.

The Main Street vehicles will cost Disney money, lets close them down too. The Dapper Dans aren't making Disney much money either, better fire them. These things add to the atmosphere of Main Street, something that the watch painting was part of.

---------- Post added 10-29-2012 at 10:56 PM ----------

If something was going to replace it, I'd be quite happy with it. But nothing is, just more plushes and T shirts which will already be in 100 different places around the parks already.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    The Main Street vehicles will cost Disney money, lets close them down too. The Dapper Dans aren't making Disney much money either, better fire them. These things add to the atmosphere of Main Street, something that the watch painting was part of.
    While your point is understood, I don't think that it's fair comparing the Dapper Dans and the Main Street vehicles to the watch painters. Sure, they all add to the atmosphere of Main Street, and give Disneyland that little extra magic that other theme parks don't have. However, the watch painters are making items to sell, where as the Dapper Dans and the Main Street vehicles are a free service that is featured as well as being literally in the middle of Main Street as opposed to a hidden gem in a store. Of course you could say "Well the watch artists are free to watch!" which is true but that isn't their purpose. They make watches to sell them, and if they aren't selling, something needs to be done. In the big scheme of things - the watch painters were a small speck of the atmosphere.

In all fairness, if people actually bought these watches they'd keep them there. You have nobody to blame but the general public. I for one didn't even know they did it, and won't be mourning the loss of it.
    My signature is NOT larger than my post, nor should yours be!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Not a surprise to me; the watches are super expensive, and don't have a mass appeal to everyday visitors. I'd much rather have, like another poster said, customizable iPhone and iPad cases.
    I have to agree. Those watches were seriously pricey, and the average guest wouldn't have bought one. Not to mention everyone doesn't own a watch. I can count on one hand the amount of people I know that own watches, myself included. It's unfortunate but it's reality. I could imagine how many guests bought watches daily. Not that many, I suppose. At least the artists are being relocated, and they're still able to use for skills and talents for the company. How about customizing products average guests buy and use? The cell phone case is a good idea.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Minion

Actually, if the only purpose was to sell the watches, they'd have them painted in China or some other country for much less money and just display them rather than have the painter sitting there working on them. The point wasn't just the selling, it was the show of it. Just like the Dapper Dans... in fact, if you figure they may actually sell one of these now and then, they are actually MORE cost effective than the Dapper Dans. It's only a single painter (no harmony needed), and it produces a product that is able to generate money... it's entertainment AND commerce.

If you asked the general public, they wouldn't have chosen to worry about proper themeing... but once it was put before them, they loved it. Again, I'm not worried about the watches necessarily, more so the loss of yet another specialty shop. Disney used to have a ton of them, now...less and less.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

If you want stuff like this so stay but these items....and stop buying the "glow ear's crap" but since people go for what's new of course more unique older items will disappear if they dont sell

• Minion

While painted cell phone covers would be a specialty that guests can use, the idea of a cell phone related store on Main Street USA would really bum me out.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    While your point is understood, I don't think that it's fair comparing the Dapper Dans and the Main Street vehicles to the watch painters. Sure, they all add to the atmosphere of Main Street, and give Disneyland that little extra magic that other theme parks don't have. However, the watch painters are making items to sell, where as the Dapper Dans and the Main Street vehicles are a free service that is featured as well as being literally in the middle of Main Street as opposed to a hidden gem in a store. Of course you could say "Well the watch artists are free to watch!" which is true but that isn't their purpose. They make watches to sell them, and if they aren't selling, something needs to be done. In the big scheme of things - the watch painters were a small speck of the atmosphere.
    Yes they were a small speck, but they were a small speck of something bigger. That something bigger is slowly getting chipped away.

• Long live the Fire Lord

Quote Originally Posted by lnsemsf View Post
    In all fairness, if people actually bought these watches they'd keep them there. You have nobody to blame but the general public. I for one didn't even know they did it, and won't be mourning the loss of it.

I see your point, but have to disagree. There are many things that don't turn a profit, but add to the theme. the could (and I know this is an extreme example, but that's the point) turn off the light in Walt's apartment to save electricity. Nobody pays to have that light kept on.
    "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast