Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: No more hand painted watches on Main Street-Declining by Degrees continues

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    Yes they were a small speck, but they were a small speck of something bigger. That something bigger is slowly getting chipped away.
    As soon as the vehicles or the Dapper Dans go away, I'll be a little more concerned. In the meantime Disneyland and it's atmosphere will chug on..

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    While painted cell phone covers would be a specialty that guests can use, the idea of a cell phone related store on Main Street USA would really bum me out.
    It doesn't even have to be aimed to cell phone cases, it could be called "Customized Creations" and offer a wide variety of customizable items that everyday guests would buy. Disney could theme the outside to the period of Main Street, and then have more modern items inside.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• rebmeM roinuJ

Sadly I didnt even know they did this. I feel like i need my nerd card revoked.

• Banned User

I never saw the allure of painted watches. Were they ever a treasured item on the real Main Street U.S.A.? It seems to be a product searching for an customer.

I'm sure if Disney want to employ the artists, it wouldn't be hard to convert the watch shop into a portrait, jewelry, or photo shop. People still want their portraits taken or painted. People still want custom jewelry. I'm sure if people want custom Disneyland artwork, people wouldn't hesitate from buying nice oil or watercolor on canvas paintings.

• Long live the Fire Lord

Everyone I know that has had a watch made framed the artwork, some of them framed the watch along with it.
    "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    As soon as the vehicles or the Dapper Dans go away, I'll be a little more concerned. In the meantime Disneyland and it's atmosphere will chug on..
    Yes, this.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Knott's does a good job with its specialty shops because most kids are fascinated by geodes, woodworkers, and blacksmiths and most parents are OK with paying for an unique souvenir. With the watches, the artistry involved is lost on most people and a $200+ watch is really only going to appeal to serious collectors. I'd rather see Disney put in specialty shops with wider appeal. Off the top of my head I can only think of the various candy stores, the small leather shop in Frontierland, the parasol cart, the portrait artists, and the name art stand by the turkey leg place in Fantasyland.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybirdman View Post
    Everyone I know that has had a watch made framed the artwork, some of them framed the watch along with it.
    I have had a couple of watches made there, especially the Haunted Mansion anniversary editions.
    No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Not a surprise to me; the watches are super expensive, and don't have a mass appeal to everyday visitors. I'd much rather have, like another poster said, customizable iPhone and iPad cases.
    Maybe what Disneyland needs is fewer "everyday" guests.
    I have a solution… for another example of "every problem caused by one policy."

I don't think the issue is that this very small patch of retailness doesn't make money. It's that it doesn't make ENOUGH money. "You know what makes more money?" the pencil-pushers ask, and then answer thusly, "Cheap plush that sells for five times its cost."
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• former CM

Barbershop barbershop! Barbershop!

I love that there is a barbershop on Main Street at Walt Disney World. Some guests bring their toddlers there for their first haircuts, and some get certificates photos to honor the occasion. Once when I was in middle school I got a haircut without telling my family while we were all at the Magic Kingdom, and then enjoyed watching them argue about whether or not I had just gotten a haircut. How about if they took out some T-Shirt space to make room for a barbershop on Main Street at Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    Knott's does a good job with its specialty shops because most kids are fascinated by geodes, woodworkers, and blacksmiths and most parents are OK with paying for an unique souvenir. . .
    And glass blowers and seamstresses, and I'm sure I'm leaving out at least one. My daughter LOVES watching them work and most of them will talk with her, happy to teach.

I've been accused of working for Knott's PR/Marketing Dept, so just to keep up that bad boy rep., here's a link: Knott's Berry Farm (not Scary Farm) tips

Disneyland should have a blacksmith working in the Big Thunder Ranch area or in that now-stupid T-shirt shop in Frontierland that used to sell Pendleton blankets.

And how about an antique post card shop? Have you ever been to a huge post card show or gone through the post cards at a Disneyana show? I have and it's cool.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-29-2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: past-present tense agreement

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    And glass artists....
    Yup. Disneyland used to have them in the pre-Pressler days.

No more.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    "You know what makes more money?" the pencil-pushers ask, and then answer thusly, "Cheap plush that sells for five times its cost."
    More precisely, "Attracting customers who love buying cheap plush that sells for five times its cost."
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

I use to work at the Watch store, not as an artist though and this was something truly unique. I'm sad to see it go.
    Jeff Wayne

• Just drawn that way

What will become of dave smith and fritz?
    Little and broken, but still good.

• Minion

I feel like this is also partly my fault (to add in with previous posters) because I'd always stare in awe of the artist and the watches but never even peek into my wallet to buy one. They're just far too expensive for me to purchase at this point in time. I don't value a watch highly enough to get it, but I might be more inclined to get artwork in other forms. I'm still trying to figure out where I'd put a lighted box and which oil painting I want for my home. But a watch? Far less likely, and I think that's what Disney figures as well.

• I am number 4 of 999

I'd love to find out that it was the distributor of the watch pieces that had an issue, and Disney couldn't secure a different vendor and THAT is why it's being discontinued. A LONG SHOT I KNOW, but still. Once in a while it would be nice to know that it isn't about the money grubbing.
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast